GMG Podcast Up - Post Dickey Thoughts

Harry

That was my first one and it was pretty entertaining all around.

The Ramon comment was great.

I got a sense that you guys almost slipped into letting on that you know a tiny bit more about the search than the podcast reflected, but that was probably my imagination.

• Upvote 1

Simon stayed on the payroll for a period of time after Helwig fired him and basically worked out at Gold's gym every day for about 3-4 months. He later took a position with the Ravens and actually won a Super Bowl ring. I heard he was fired from the Ravens a couple of month ago.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...222/ai_20468392

Odd timing at North Texas shows change was needed - coach Matt Simon is fired right before spring practice was set to begin - College Football Insider - Column

Sporting News, The,  March 16, 1998  by Tom Dienhart,  Mike Huguenin

Little boys in Texas don't grow up dreaming about playing for North Texas. Yes, it's Mean Joe Greene's school, but the opportunity to receive a "Hook 'em, Homs" salute in Austin or to get showered with chants from Yell Leaders in College Station is too much to resist for blue-chip recruits. And that doesn't take into consideration the other big-name programs that take talent out of the state. Michigan, Notre Dame and Florida State are all frequent shoppers.

So where does North Texas fit in? It is hardly competition for local programs TCU and SMU. Indeed, the Eagles typically end up battling the many in-state Division I-AA schools for talent.

It is possible for a largely commuter school of 27,000 that plays in the Big West to build and maintain modest success, but only with cooperation from all areas of the athletic department And this athletic department made a bold and unusual move by ousting coach Matt Simon last week with spring practice just around the corner.

Most coaches are removed right after the season ends so the new guy can assemble a staff and still have adequate time for recruiting. By spring practice, a team is geared to next season. The troubles between Simon and his bosses were serious enough for a change at this odd time.

Simon made his mark by serving as running backs coach at Washington from 19 81 to '91. He arrived at North Texas before the 1994 season after spending two years as the offensive coordinator at New Mexico. He came with a reputation as a builder of offenses, but the Eagles' attack was anemic by the end of last season, and a division between Simon and the North Texas brass began to widen. Part of the problem was Simons frequent offensive adjustments. Upon arrival, he pledged to pass, but by 1997 he was tinkering with the option and I-formation schemes. It's no wonder the Eagles' offense ranked 94th out of 112 Division IA schools last season. Simon, who has been reassigned to assistant athletic director in charge of facilities and special projects, was 18-26-1 at North Texas, including 4-7 last year.

Aside from the offensive foibles, Simon's frequent remarks about a lack of money and less-than-ideal facilities irked many who thought he should focus on finding solutions instead of complaining. And unlike new basket ball coach Vic Trilli, Simon didn't sell the program to the Denton community. Topping things off, there were rumblings the program lacked discipline and that the troops were divided. A change was warranted.

But the program's difficulties certainly weren't all Simon's fault The development of the program was hampered by an uncompromising schedule that has featured the likes of Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma State and Arizona State. Although smaller Division I-A schools need to play large-revenue games, North Texas has gone overboard. The school would be better served by following the Kansas State model: Take big bites out of small foes and chew thoroughly.

Now, into the fray steps new coach Darrell Dickey, 38, who spent last season as offensive coordinator at SMU. The cupboard isn't bare--Simon was a decent recruiter And if Dickey, who plans to install a balanced pro-style offense, can develop a quarterback, the Eagles may challenge for the Big West tide and a bowl bid.

Dickey's plan for development is smart. He knows one of his biggest assets is location. Denton is 35 miles north of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

"I have nothing against junior college players," he says. "But I only want to recruit them for severe needs. Foremost, I want high schools kids from the area so their family, friends, buddies-whoever--will come see them and fill our stands."

And a positive may lurk in the future, as a bigger league may beckon. The Metroplex has 4.5 million people, which would appeal to a league looking to boost its TV profile.

And if Dickey, who plans to install a balanced pro-style offense, can develop a quarterback, the Eagles may challenge for the Big West tide and a bowl bid.

That last qoute got me laughing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Now, into the fray steps new coach Darrell Dickey, 38, who spent last season as offensive coordinator at SMU. The cupboard isn't bare--Simon was a decent recruiter And if Dickey, who plans to install a balanced pro-style offense, can develop a quarterback, the Eagles may challenge for the Big West tide and a bowl bid.

Dickey's plan for development is smart. He knows one of his biggest assets is location. Denton is 35 miles north of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

"I have nothing against junior college players," he says. "But I only want to recruit them for severe needs. Foremost, I want high schools kids from the area so their family, friends, buddies-whoever--will come see them and fill our stands."

Well, he didn't install a balanced pro-style offense, he didn't develop a quarterback and he didn't recruit from the area.