RV: no plans to form a search committee

NT80

From part of an article Harry posted...looks like RV will weed out the applications....

Villarreal said he made the decision to fire Dickey, 46, in conjunction with university president Dr. Gretchen Bataille. They will handle the search for a coach that will begin immediately.

Villarreal said there were no plans to form a search committee.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From part of an article Harry posted...looks like RV will weed out the applications....

Villarreal said he made the decision to fire Dickey, 46, in conjunction with university president Dr. Gretchen Bataille. They will handle the search for a coach that will begin immediately.

Villarreal said there were no plans to form a search committee.

Thats good to hear. Sometimes I wonder if someone who creates a "search committee" either lacks confidence in what they are doing or has no clue what to do. RV seems likes he's pretty savy! I guess only time will tell.

Thats good to hear. Sometimes I wonder if someone who creates a "search committee" either lacks confidence in what they are doing or has no clue what to do. RV seems likes he's pretty savy! I guess only time will tell.

Personally I wouldn't have described Dr Pohl as clueless or lacking confidence. I say that, as he formed as search committee to hire RV. So I guess a search committee can locate a "pretty savvy" candidate.

I don't think one is appropriate here, just wanted to point the ignorance of your comment.

Personally I wouldn't have described Dr Pohl as clueless or lacking confidence.  I say that, as he formed as search committee to hire RV.  So I guess a search committee can locate a "pretty savvy" candidate.

I don't think one is appropriate here, just wanted to point the ignorance of your comment.

For 1 , my post had nothing to do with Dr. Pohl. I was talking about search committee's in general.

Second , I think RV is Very sports knowledgable and that he does'nt need alot of help on making a choice that he thinks will be a good fit.

For 1 , my post had nothing to do with Dr. Pohl. I was talking about search committee's in general.

If you were talking about search committee's in general, then you must have meant to include how they relate to UNT athletics; where Dr Pohl formed a search committee to locate a new athletic director (RV).

I think RV is Very sports knowledgable and that he does'nt need alot of help on making a choice that he thinks will be a good fit.

Try here, it'll help with the spelling and grammar.

You have got to be kidding me Ken !! Its 1230 at night and your worried about grammer ??? You need a hobby or a woman. I dont have time to check my grammer, im typing in the dark ( wife is asleep ) & to be honest if I was worried about my spelling Id go back and get a masters. This is for football topics , if I want to write a paper on something Ill let you be the 1st person to read it okay ??

Have you ever been on a " search committee " ??

Well I have , a few times. Let me tell ya , not everyone in it was very knowledagbel ( you like that ) on what was going on. Also , you get too many views and too many times you have people going in opposite directions. I personally feel that RV can find a good coach with NO help. That was my whole point.

Edited by NT03

Dr. Pohl may have formed a search committee to find RV but he personally brought in Gene Stallings to tell us where we needed immediate help first.  So there is good in using both, a committee and/or a single consultant.

Rick

Gene Stallings, laugh.gif Rick ??? Are you trying to throw another name out there in the Coaching Pool lol

Gene Stallings,  laugh.gif  Rick ??? Are you trying to throw another name out there in the Coaching Pool lol

No, I'm just saying that it can work both ways at times. Bringing in a consultant or using a committee? I guess in this case, the "consultant" would be RV himself?

That was an amazing, eye opening experience that night coach Stallings spoke to us. Boy did he have a lot to point out in way of how backwards our program was at the time. And that comment about Trili's basketball team? Wow, you could have heard a pin drop for a second before the snickering turned to laughter. At the time coach Stalling's son was very ill and he was headed back home to help take care of him with no plans to get back into coaching.

Rick

You have got to be kidding me Ken !! Its 1230 at night and your worried about grammer ??? You need a hobby or a woman. I dont have time to check my grammer, im typing in the dark ( wife is asleep ) & to be honest if I was worried about my spelling Id go back and get a masters. This is for football topics , if I want to write a paper on something Ill let you be the 1st person to read it okay ??

Have you ever been on a " search committee " ??

Well I have , a few times. Let me tell ya , not everyone in it was very knowledagbel ( you like that ) on what was going on. Also , you get too many views and too many times you have people going in opposite directions. I personally feel that RV can find a good coach with NO help. That was my whole point.

Yup, I was lucky enough to serve on the one to assist in finding RV. I learned alot about UNT and athletics during that process.

if I was worried about my spelling Id go back and get a masters.

They assume a minimum level of education at the Masters level.

Not sure I agree with a committee.

Too many people trying to come to one conclusion. Takes too long. This does not need to be a long and drawn out process. This needs to be done before the end of this calendar year. A committee would take till spring football to decide on a coach.

It would mean putting RV on the spot and personally responsible for the next coach.

C'mon Ken. NT03 is right. I have been corrected for spelling nurmorous times on this board. It is very aggrivating. I come to this board b/c I need break from school, not to get an "F" on my post from the "word police." Some of you don't realize how lame it is to correct posters for spelling. This is one sure fire way to keep the younger generation of Mean Green students off the board.

Edited by chrisfisher

C'mon Ken. NT03 is right. I have been corrected for spelling nurmorous times on this board.  It is very aggrivating.  I come to this board b/c I need break from school, not to get an "F" on my post from the "word police." Some of you don't realize how lame it is to correct posters for spelling.  This is one sure fire way to keep the younger generation of Mean Green students off the board.

iespell

This is one sure fire way to keep the younger generation of Mean Green students off the board.

Yeah, we shouldn't expect students or current graduate students to spell. That's unrealdksjflistic and in no weigh reflex poorly on the scull.

I'm also 63.

Sew, abowt this knew coach....

Yup, I was lucky enough to serve on the one to assist in finding RV.  I learned alot about UNT and athletics during that process.

Let me get this right .... You were on the search committee & you didnt already know alot about UNT and athletics at the time ????

Now if you were from a different university I could see that. If your still here I have to guess that was not the case. Or did you come to Denton just to be on the search committee and fell in love with it sooo much that you are still here.

Edited by NT03

Not sure I agree with a committee.

Too many people trying to come to one conclusion. Takes too long. This does not need to be a long and drawn out process. This needs to be done before the end of this calendar year. A committee would take till spring football to decide on a coach.

It would mean putting RV on the spot and personally responsible for the next coach.

That was part of my whole original point. I think timing is important , with just RV making the call it could get done sooner I would think.

Edited by NT03