Thank you Coach Dickey

Harry

I am still somewhat shocked about this announcement. I did not think it would happen until after the season if at all. It has and it is time to start pointing toward the future which I believe is very bright for the Mean Green.

Before I start going down that road I want to take a moment to thank Coach Dickey for giving 9-years he has given to the University of North Texas.

It was not an easy situation that he stepped into, after Simon left, but he worked hard and got us 4 conference championships and bowl games. He also signed some of the greatest players in our history including Booger Kennedy, Cody Spencer, Scott Hall, Johnny Quinn, Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, Andy Brewster, Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Adrian Awasome and others that I apologize for forgetting here.

Coach Dickey was at the end of the road in 2001 and forged one of the most remarkable turnarounds I have seen to lead the team to its first bowl game in 40+ years. Some will downplay the Sun Belt and try to diminish what he was able to do. I don't care what conferece you are in, when you win it 4-times and are named Coach of the Year 4-times that is an accomplishment for anyone.

I know this is a difficult time for him. His health really failed him in the last year and a half. He wanted to get things turned around - I truly believe that. Things weren't clicking for him like they had in prior years. Players that they had counted on let them down. In the end, he just ran out of time.

Whether you love or hate Coach Dickey, you have to give him some credit for getting us on the map at a time when we desparately needed it. The athletic center became a reality in the successful part of his tenure. This athletic center will be a major selling point that we will use to bring in a new coaching staff and ultimately recruits. The bowl exposure, having two running backs that led the nation in rushing and winning our first bowl in forever against Cincy were major accomplishments for the program. The wins over Baylor and SMU at home gave the fanbase hope and a sense of pride.

I think he will look back and wish that there were some things he would have done differently. Honestly though, which one of us cannot say that same thing about a job or endeavor we have been involved in? I hope - in time - he and all of us will remember the good times more than the bad. I will never forget how he helped us last Spring in putting together the GMG Flag Football game and his enthusiasm despite recovering from his gallbladder surgery. You came away from that event knowing that deep down he cared for this program and the fans.

I hope that we will have a very fair and amicable separation with Coach Dickey and that he can someday come back and be recognized for his accomplishments. I wish him and his family the best as they head toward some new opportunities. He's young, he has his health back and there's a lot left for him to accomplish in his career.

I am grateful for what Coach Dickey was able to accomplish for us but I also look forward to an new and exciting chapter in the Mean Green story!

GMG!

I am still somewhat shocked about this announcement.  I did not think it would happen until after the season if at all.  It has and it is time to start pointing toward the future which I believe is very bright for the Mean Green.

Before I start going down that road I want to take a moment to thank Coach Dickey for giving 9-years he has given to the University of North Texas.

It was not an easy situation that he stepped into, after Simon left but he worked hard and got us 4 conference championships and bowl games.  He also signed some of the greatest players in our history including Booger Kennedy, Cody Spencer, Scott Hall, Johnny Quinn, Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, Andy Brewster, Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Adrian Awasome and others that I apologize for forgetting here.

Coach Dickey was at the end of the road in 2001 and forged one of the most remarkable turnarounds I have seen to lead the team to its first bowl game in 40+ years.  Some will downplay the Sun Belt and try to diminish what he was able to do.  I don't care what conferece you are in, when you win it 4-times and are named Coach of the Year 4-times that is an accomplishment for anyone.

I know this is a difficult time for him.  His health really failed him in the last year and a half. He wanted to get things turned around - I truly believe that.  Things weren't clicking for him like they had in prior years.  Players that they had counted on let them down.  In the end, he just ran out of time.

Whether you love or hate Coach Dickey, you have to give him some credit for getting us on the map at a time when we desparately needed it.  The athletic center became a reality in the successful part of his tenure.  This athletic center will be a major selling point that we will use to bring in a new coaching staff and ultimately recruits.  The bowl exposure, having two running backs that led the nation in rushing and winning our first bowl in forever against Cincy were major accomplishments for the program. The wins over Baylor and SMU at home gave the fanbase hope and a sense of pride.

I think he will look back and wish that there were some things he would have done differently.  Honestly though, which one of us cannot say that same thing about a job or endeavor we have been involved in?  I hope - in time -  he and all of us will remember the good times more than the bad.  I will never forget how he helped us last Sping in putting together the GMG Flag Football game and his enthusiasm despite recovering from his gallbladder surgery.  You came away from that event knowing that deep down he cared for this program and the fans. 

I hope that we will have a very fair and amicable separation with Coach Dickey and that he can someday come back and be recognized for his accomplishments.  I wish him and his family the best as they head toward some new opportunities.  He's young, he has his health back and there's a lot left for him to accomplish in his career.

I am grateful for what Coach Dickey was able to accomplish for us but I also look forward to an new and exciting chapter in the Mean Green story!

GMG!

I'll second that.

I am still somewhat shocked about this announcement.  I did not think it would happen until after the season if at all.  It has and it is time to start pointing toward the future which I believe is very bright for the Mean Green.

It was not an easy situation that he stepped into, after Simon left but he worked hard and got us 4 conference championships and bowl games.  He also signed some of the greatest players in our history including Booger Kennedy, Cody Spencer, Scott Hall, Johnny Quinn, Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, Andy Brewster, Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Adrian Awasome and others that I apologize for forgetting here.

Coach Dickey was at the end of the road in 2001 and forged one of the most remarkable turnarounds I have seen to lead the team to its first bowl game in 40+ years.  Some will downplay the Sun Belt and try to diminish what he was able to do.  I don't care what conferece you are in, when you win it 4-times and are named Coach of the Year 4-times that is an accomplishment for anyone.

I know this is a difficult time for him.  His health really failed him in the last year and a half. He wanted to get things turned around - I truly believe that.  Things weren't clicking for him like they had in prior years.  Players that they had counted on let them down.  In the end, he just ran out of time.

Whether you love or hate Coach Dickey, you have to give him some credit for getting us on the map at a time when we desparately needed it.  The athletic center became a reality in the successful part of his tenure.  This athletic center will be a major selling point that we will use to bring in a new coaching staff and ultimately recruits.  The bowl exposure, having two running backs that led the nation in rushing and winning our first bowl in forever against Cincy were major accomplishments for the program. The wins over Baylor and SMU at home gave the fanbase hope and a sense of pride.

I think he will look back and wish that there were some things he would have done differently.  Honestly though, which one of us cannot say that same thing about a job or endeavor we have been involved in?  I hope - in time -  he and all of us will remember the good times more than the bad.  I will never forget how he helped us last Sping in putting together the GMG Flag Football game and his enthusiasm despite recovering from his gallbladder surgery.  You came away from that event knowing that deep down he cared for this program and the fans. 

I hope that we will have a very fair and amicable separation with Coach Dickey and that he can someday come back and be recognized for his accomplishments.  I wish him and his family the best as they head toward some new opportunities.  He's young, he has his health back and there's a lot left for him to accomplish in his career.

GMG!

Great post! Thank you, Coach Dickey! I will never forget the great experiences that the NO Bowl trips were. This is definitely a bittersweet day. I am happy that our administration appears ready and geared for success, but sad at how we reached this point.

Me too, Coach. I've always been a supporter of yours and appreciate your successes at UNT. Sometimes, though, you just have to call timeout and regroup; this is one of those times. May God bless you and your beautiful family.

Yes truely a bittersweet time. Dicky has been one of the driving forces that has gotten this program what little recognition it HAS gotten in recent years. It is unfortunate that the timing of this couldn't have been better. I pray for DD, his family and his future. Where ever you go and in whatever you do..... May the Lord bless and keep you..... go get 'em coach! We'll never forget you!!

I was at a loss for words when my son called me yesterday and told me what had taken place. Coach Dickey, you are a great coach and a wonderful person. I will never forget the official visit that we had 2 years ago. You called Charley and myself to your office after we had toured the wonderful UNT campus and the new Dorm and Athletic facilities. We sat down on the sofa in your office and told us if Charley didn't commit to UNT that day you would be in Muskogee on Monday to visit our house. even though Charley had opertunities at Arkansas and Kansas St he stood up and commited right then and there. Though things have not went well with charley missing this season after having surgery we were looking foward to next year and we were sure you would get things turned around. We wish you the best and you are always welcome in our home. I know the type of person you are and I know you will bounce back from this. Good Luck Coach!!

Coach...We are grateful for what you have done. The bowl games were a highlight of my life. God bless you and best wishes for the future.

Sorry the fan base isn't more grateful for what you did here, Coach. Those of us who were here in the early 90s suffering through the poor I-AA teams UNT fielded are proud of you. You did a heck of a job with what you had. Best of luck in your next job.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

• 2 weeks later...