RV Announces Dickey Not Returning

Cerebus

Top Stories

UNT football coach Darrell Dickey will not return in 2007

Rick Villarreal, director of athletics, has announced that Darrell Dickey will not return as head coach of the UNT football program in 2007. Dickey is expected to coach the team for its remaining three games, including Saturday’s game at Louisiana-Lafayette.

Top Stories

Rick Villarreal, director of athletics, has announced that Darrell Dickey will not return as head coach of the UNT football program in 2007. Dickey is expected to coach the team for its remaining three games, including Saturday’s game at Louisiana-Lafayette.

Cerebus, is this wishful thinking or a hoax? Or did you actually see the internal letter?

Smart move. Dickey had the best run of any UNT coach, aside perhaps from Hayden Fry, and he deserves praise for that. But it's time for a change. His offensive strategy was utterly hopeless, the recruiting has been weak in spite of four bowl trips, and his poor-me complaints about fans and lethargic demeanor on the sidelines gave me no confidence he'd ever turn it around.

Somebody had to go, and it was going to be either Dickey or RV. I'm glad they sent the turk for Dickey.

Top Stories

First Rumsfeld, now Dickey. The future keeps looking brighter.

(Thanks for the 4 bowl games Coach. Thanks for nothing Rumsfeld.)

Next year would have been pure "D" hell for Coach Dickey had he stayed for the 2007 season. It was not going to be a comfortable scenario for most concerned (including him expecially in light of his health situation).

With GrayEagleOne and his 59 years of following Mean Green football and with his posting a few weeks ago on GoMeanGreen.com that he, too, was through with this had this decsion not been made; nevertheless, that post from GrayEagleOne certainly got my undivided attention and showed me that it wasn't just me and many others I've known for years who had the same concern for all of our alma mater's football future in NCAA D1-A.

Many of us have known GrayEagleOne for a big portion of those 59 years he's followed MG football (yes, shaft, go ahead and call me gramps if you wish rolleyes.gif; but I do know that GrayEagleOne would not have posted such an ultimatum (which he would have never called it that) but he just wanted to express to our upper echelon leaders just how grave all this had become with even himself as a lifelong supporter of Mean Green football.

Many who have been fired in their lives usually had better deals open up for them over the jobs they were terminated; I know, because I've experienced that myself--some of you have to. Some of you young gun alums may also someday have such a similar experience; but trust me, it is never the end of the world. The upside of this termination is that Rick V. along with the other UNT leaders who had to approve this concerning Coach Dickey have most likely added more years to this mans life. These are not subjects, though, I'm sure he would want to discuss at this time since today was the day all this (apparently) materialized.

Not one of us likes the entire scenario that led to all of this with Coach Dickey and I certainly not proud of everything I've said or posted, either, and have probably even lost a few casual friendships over some of those things, but being the "part" Irishman that I am, I say and post many things straight from my heart for what has been a passion of my own for a few decades........ ALSO.............I think (now) most would all agree that it was just in the best interest of all concerned (including Coach Dickey and his family) that this decision be made. I would think when all the smoke clears, that even Coach Dickey himself will eventually feel like a 1 ton elephant has been lifted off of him.

But................this decision today only takes care of half the problem but all that is for another day once some water runs under the bridge after today's happening; but one can only hope that the next major hiring decison that will be made in the next few weeks takes care of the other half of all this scenario and will unify the Mean Green Nation like never before and make us all feel we can do some catching up to where we were during an era where even some present successful non-BCS schools were using North Texas Mean Green football as their own model for future success.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen