If DD is back

El Paso Eagle

I think one of the things that is most depressing about the thought of DD coming back is that my “hope” for the Mean Green will take a deep blow. Remember just a short time back all of the “Hope” that was on this board before each season? We had people every week talking about going 9-2, 10-1 AND we as fans believed we were a Top Mid-Major program and we thought we were one on the top 3 or 4 programs in the state. It was fun to be a Mean green supporter. The “Sleeping Giant” was starting to wake!!!!

Now be honest – If DD is back and we have some success how many of you will be thinking that it’s only short lived and something will happen to make things worse. If DD is back will I stop following the Mean Green – NO! But I will be following out of a respect for my University and I will not have the same “hope” that we all had a short time back.

If DD comes back (which I think he will 'cause of the contract)..

... and a good OC is hired

... and DD lets the new OC run a new offense with more than 5 plays

... and if a good OL coach is hired

... and if we can find a solution to the QB woes

... and if we're able to pull in some new OLine and DLine talent

... and if the team somehow becomes more disciplined

then I think we have a chance at being competitive.

I think one of the things that is most depressing about the thought of DD coming back is that my “hope” for the Mean Green will take a deep blow. Remember just a short time back all of the “Hope” that was on this board before each season? We had people every week talking about going 9-2, 10-1 AND we as fans believed we were a Top Mid-Major program and we thought we were one on the top 3 or 4 programs in the state. It was fun to be a Mean green supporter. The “Sleeping Giant” was starting to wake!!!!

Now be honest – If DD is back and we have some success how many of you will be thinking that it’s only short lived and something will happen to make things worse. If DD is back will I stop following the Mean Green – NO! But I will be following out of a respect for my University and I will not have the same “hope” that we all had a short time back.

Well, I have some hope for next year. The runaway team in the belt this year is MTSU. They will lose starting QB Marks and starting RB Gross. FIU loses Padrick. ULL loses Jerry Babb too. Three of the top passers in the belt are gone next year. One of the top RBs is gone too. I think if we can have a QB/RB combo step up next year, we have a good shot.

If DD comes back (which I think he will 'cause of the contract)..

... and a good OC is hired

... and DD lets the new OC run a new offense with more than 5 plays

... and if a good OL coach is hired

... and if we can find a solution to the QB woes

... and if we're able to pull in some new OLine and DLine talent

... and if the team somehow becomes more disciplined

then I think we have a chance at being competitive.

What good OC is going to come here and work in this system?

Why would DD change his offensive philosophy which is the same for 9 years?

(Check our finish the last 9 years in total offense, out of the 100s only twice)

Any solution to QB woes would take 2 years to groom, and what top notch QB would want to come play under this offensive system?

"New" Oline and Dline talent would be true freshmen or Juco transfers, the latter helping immediatly and again, a two year wait on the former.

Discipline????? If it flies like a duck, swims like a duck, and looks like a duck, then it's a duck.

I am sorry, but this ship is still in the harbor, and the Middle Tennessee, LaLa and Arkansas State ships have already sailed. Check out the kids from within 100 miles from here on all of their rosters, it will make you sick.

I get this sinking feeling DD is coming back. I didn't think there was any way a few weeks ago, but since so little action has been taken I can't help but think that we are doomed for another last place belt finish in '07.

I don't even get off the couch anymore to get to the office to watch it on the net. I look for the tickers and last weekend didn't even check it until hours after the game was over. That is a mean green fan today and tomorrow.

Hopefully we can cut this line loose after 07. The great thing is that we can't fall much further - it's like getting a false start penalty at the 1 yard line - can't let the opponents get much closer - but dang are you in bad shape.

At least I have been through this before - it's like de javu - a spin back to helpless times and I do recall a light at the end of the tunnel. It will be fun again one day.

GMG

I would never again expect any fans, recruits, reporters or anyone for that matter to take the UNT football program seriously.

I would expect UNT to go on probation for having less than 15,000 attendance per home game.

I would expect that less than 500 season tickets get sold.

And any and all football/sports denotations dry up and blow a way.

If the school will not take the proper action in the proper time to grow and nurture our football program why trust them with our money.

Well, I have some hope for next year. The runaway team in the belt this year is MTSU. They will lose starting QB Marks and starting RB Gross. FIU loses Padrick. ULL loses Jerry Babb too. Three of the top passers in the belt are gone next year. One of the top RBs is gone too. I think if we can have a QB/RB combo step up next year, we have a good shot.

unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gif

So to sum it up... your hopes are based on the other teams getting worse more so than us improving??? biggrin.gif

My hope is that the "big" donors who will be responsible for his coming back will deliver with their promises. Won't say more than that. The announcement is supposed to come this Spring. It better happen.

1. Fire RF and Etheridge.

2. Sign more DFW-area recruits than any other single SBC team (sounds easy, doesn't it?).

3. Open up the offense. Doesn't have to be a run-and-shoot, but I don't want to see a draw on 3rd and long, ever again.

4. Fix the delay of game/wasted timeout problem.

5. Beat SMU again.

6. Beat another OOC team. I don't care who.

7. Win conference.

8. Give somebody hell in the NO bowl. A win would be nice.

1. Fire RF and Etheridge.

2. Sign more DFW-area recruits than any other single SBC team (sounds easy, doesn't it?).

3. Open up the offense.  Doesn't have to be a run-and-shoot, but I don't want to see a draw on 3rd and long, ever again.

4. Fix the delay of game/wasted timeout problem.

5. Beat SMU again. 

6. Beat another OOC team.  I don't care who.

7. Win conference. 

8. Give somebody hell in the NO bowl.  A win would be nice.

9. And a shrubbery. Make it a nice one. </monty python reference>

Next year is not likely to yield a lot of wins even with a new coach. Occasionally, a new coach can come in and win with the old players who were not preforming well. That is the exception, most certainly NOT the rule.

Usually, you need to wait till his recruits are red-shirt sophmores and juniors to start to see a major difference. That’s three to four years of more loses.

But, at least you have hope at that point!

Edited by VideoEagle

Next year is not likely to yield a lot of wins even with a new coach. Occasionally, a new coach can come in and win with the old players who were not preforming well. That is the exception, most certainly NOT the rule.

Usually, you need to wait till his recruits are red-shirt sophmores and juniors to start to see a major difference. That’s three to four years of more loses.

But, at least you have hope at that point!

Then explain to me Middle Tennessee this year. All they did was change coaches.

Then explain to me Middle Tennessee this year.  All they did was change coaches.

As I wrote, “Occasionally, a new coach can come in and win with the old players who were not preforming well.” Oklahoma won a National Championship.

But far more often the results are like NMSU or Idaho.

You should not count on getting lucky, but expect some hard work building.

...I expect POSITIVE, "We are going to to do our best to take it to them" comments from the head coach the week prior to our game against Oklahoma, rather than the "our kids know when they play these money games that they will look up into the stands and only see some parents and the band".

...I expect to see POSITIVE, "We as a team expect to make it two-in-a-row" type comments from our head coach the week of our next OOC game against SMU rather than the usual "our kids know their backs are against the wall when they sign here" as was stated the week of the Tulsa game this season. No more of that SHIT! NO MORE!!!!!!!

...I expect to have a new offensive coordinator running HIS style of offense that is entertaining, fun to watch and makes outsiders want to invest their money and time at FOUTS FIELD. There's fun outside the stadium. Now it's time to sell fun inside the stadium.

...I do NOT expect to see a conservative, land-management by the DD fish, wildlife and game reserve board on their lease property that the rest of us call a football field.

....I expect to see NT recruit the best...THE BEST and most talented Defensive Linemen that is available to us be it from local HS talent or JUCO. This includes D Line and D Ends. I expect to see the same for O linemen as well as another RB talent and mostly more than one possession reciever. There are so many great kids with fantastic hands within 30 minutes of Denton it makes your head spin. I expect to see one or more of them sign here this recruiting season.

...I expect to see an attitude change within this coaching staff that gives me reason to believe that they themselves understand that THIS IS AN ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notice I said nothing about wins or losses. The reason? Because if we take care of the above list with the current talent we have on this team then the wins will come and the rest will fall into it's correct place.

Rick