UNT College of Law

MeanGreen61

The UNT System will present the proposal for a new College of Law in Austin in 2007 and hopes to enroll the first class as early as 2009.

Info from invitation(s) to a November 29th fund raiser reception & dinner. Looks like it's full speed ahead on this project.

Edited by MeanGreen61

The UNT System will present the proposal for a new College of Law in Austin in 2007 and hopes to enroll the first class as early as 2009.

Info from invitation(s) to a November 29th fund raiser reception & dinner. Looks like it's full speed ahead on this project.

I sure hope we don't put our law school in Austin. That would be too long of a commute for me. ohmy.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

I sure hope we don't put our law school in Austin. That would be too long of a commute for me. ohmy.gif

On the other hand, I hope that they don't present it in Dallas either, because they'd never get enough votes to carry the entire legislature.

Another L. J. pet project. I wish he had such a desire to see UNT Athletics become fully funded and do well. dry.gif

Lawyers certainly make more money than jazz musicians and teachers. Let's get this law school started and watch the big donations start rolling in!

Through the years, North Texas has had MANY of it's alumni go on to law school and become successful Lawyers. Mike Simpson (former NT SGA President) now practicing in Bridgeport is one example.

It has always been tradition that your first loyalty is supposed to be to the school where you received your BS (or BA) degree. That being the case, we should have been getting those "big donations" from lawyers for decades.

"The UNT System will present the proposal for a new College of Law in Austin"

Perhaps we should first propose a new College of English in Denton.

Do we have any proofreaders on campus?   dry.gif

Where would you have them present the proposal other than in Austin ? blink.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

To me, having the Law School in Dallas disconnects NT undergraduates from their roots in Denton.  As for academics and stature, I guess having it in Dallas is better than no Law School.

Exactly it should be in Denton on the nice campus at UNT, I mean the Research Park is in North North Denton, far from campus.....

With the Law School being in Dallas, we wont get those students to reside in Denton or even get their attendance at home games....of any sport

--- I seem to be the only person on here that thinks the Law school in Dallas is a decent idea. It will connect Dallas more with North Texas... It will be in a famous building that gets a lot of attention and will be seen much more often than having it it some remote location in Denton ....... and it will be good advertisement for North Texas in general. I also think it will attract better students than a Denton site would and it would go -head to haed against SMU in Dallas eventually.

--- Those who think having a law school is going to attract a ton of money are dreaming. A lot of MBA's ( corporate execs) and computer people make more money than most lawyers and we have them now. The person who said most lawyers have more loyality to their original undergrad school than their law institution ( other than just the law school) are absolutely right. .

--- I seem to be the only person on here that thinks the Law school in Dallas is a decent idea.  It will connect Dallas more with North Texas... It will be in a famous building that gets a lot of attention and will be seen much more often than having it it some remote location in  Denton ....... and it will be good advertisement for North Texas in general. I also think it will attract better students than a Denton site would and it would go -head to haed against SMU in Dallas eventually.

--- Those who think having a law school is going to attract a ton of money are dreaming.  A lot of MBA's ( corporate execs) and computer people make more money than most lawyers and we have them now.  The person who said most lawyers have more loyality to their original undergrad school than their law institution ( other than just the law school) are absolutely right. .

It would be nice to have it in Denton, but I have no problem at all with it being at the proposed location. It will strenghten our ties to Dallas, and I suspect that the growth in prestige and student quality will occur more rapidly in Dallas than it would in Denton.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I am glad someone posted about this topic, because it is related to the goal of building up NT in general, as is the need for improvement of athletics programs.

As a practicing attorney who went on from NT to get my law degree from Virginia in Charlottesville, I am excited about the prospect of NT having a law school. However, I strongly believe it should be in Denton instead of Dallas. I know there are positives for having it in Dallas. On the other hand, the study of law should not be separated from the other areas of study or from the university community. One thing that NT sorely lacks in comparison to other schools such as Virginia is a strong sense of community. We should seek to increase it, not detract from it. By building up these centers of study away from the main campus, we are taking resources away from building up the cohesiveness and cumulative feeling of a major university. Adding a law school at the Denton campus would be a big step toward that goal, so putting it elsewhere would be a big missed opportunity. Besides, I have practiced (if I keep practicing I'm bound to get it right!) law for 16 years including at some of the largest corporations, and I find it very helpful to have studied law in an interdisciplinary environment. It would be safe to say that Thomas Jefferson would have thought that putting the NT law school in Denton would be the best idea, and I would follow that kind of thinking.

I am glad someone posted about this topic, because it is related to the goal of building up NT in general, as is the need for improvement of athletics programs.

As a practicing attorney who went on from NT to get my law degree from Virginia in Charlottesville, I am excited about the prospect of NT having a law school. However, I strongly believe it should be in Denton instead of Dallas. I know there are positives for having it in Dallas. On the other hand, the study of law should not be separated from the other areas of study or from the university community.  One thing that NT sorely lacks in comparison to other schools such as Virginia is a strong sense of community. We should seek to increase it, not detract from it. By building up these centers of study away from the main campus, we are taking resources away from building up the cohesiveness and cumulative feeling of a major university. Adding a law school at the Denton campus would be a big step toward that goal, so putting it elsewhere would be a big missed opportunity. Besides, I have practiced (if I keep practicing I'm bound to get it right!) law for 16 years including at some of the largest corporations, and I find it very helpful to have studied law in an interdisciplinary environment. It would be safe to say that Thomas Jefferson would have thought that putting the NT law school in Denton would be the best idea, and I would follow that kind of thinking.

Sports wise, what is your first loyalty? To North Texas, or Virginia?

I agree about having the law collage in Denton. But I am uncertain if the opportunity is there unless it is in Big D. It seems as if this is only possible as a boon to downtown. I am actually not that excited about the school's image being promoted with the Dallas campus also.

But that being said my choice would be to have it on campus.

Additional building would add to campus.

Law school would bring in more traditional students. More apt to be involved with athletics.

With engineering and law we could really promote ourselves as a school on the move. The perception is that we would be reinventing UNT. We have a perception problem.

These elements would assist us getting in CUSA as much as some success in the smaller sports.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Sports wise, what is your first loyalty? To North Texas, or Virginia?

NT. However, it was my time at UVA that really got me into the college sports. They have had, and are having, their struggles, but I sure would like to see the same level of excitement and participation at NT games. It was like seeing a blueprint: 'oh THIS is how it should be...' Never really got the message as a student at NT. NT administration has never really seemed to want it either, but somehow a few years ago there was nonetheless enough of a little rumbling that I thought maybe they were tuning in. I'm not so sure right now.

I don't know why more people aren't going around scratching there heads about why doesn't NT go big. For me, I wonder because I was up in Charlottesville going to games (basketball too of course) for three years and it was awesome, and it is a no-brainer that NT should have the same thing. And I went back up there when they beat the crap out of Texas in 96 and I just pray that before I die ol' NT can deliver the same feeling.