I would rather have been blown out

MeanGreenZen

A close loss just hurts too much. Something needs to change with this program.

I disagree. It was nice to get excited about coming from down 21 and putting up 31 unanswered points. I wish the game ended right there. The rest of it sucks but for the little entertainment value better, I enjoyed it much better than the MTSU game.

Oh, and when they were up 21-0 in the 1st, I said I would leave as soon as they hit 35 to nothing. The new O look kept me in the stands.

I think there were some positives that came out of this game.

We found out what our backups can do.

I am sure there are others...but I just can't think of them right now.

But a blowout would have been more devistating then anything.

If we had been blown out then I could call for Dickey's head. But the coaching wasn't the problem tonight. The whole Green Unit deal was freaking genius! We just had some bad bounces and lost. Can't blame Darrell.

Just exactly how many of the 16 losses in the last 12 months is DD responsible for?

Now 41-62 overall. mad.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

If we had been blown out then I could call for Dickey's head. But the coaching wasn't the problem tonight. The whole Green Unit deal was freaking genius! We just had some bad bounces and lost. Can't blame Darrell.

Then whose decision was it to pull the Green Unit? La Tech hadn't figured them out at the time of their removal. I don't care if they only had one play, let them go until they're stopped. That was a poor coaching decision thet ended up costing them the game.

Then whose decision was it to pull the Green Unit?  La Tech hadn't figured them out at the time of their removal.  I don't care if they only had one play, let them go until they're stopped.  That was a poor coaching decision thet ended up costing them the game.

Dickey didn't coach a perfect game. But in this one instance he coached well enough to win. Blame the current state of the program on him (and I do, too) but UNT lost last Saturday because Matt Phillips threw a pass that was deflected and a LaTech player just happened to be in the right position to intercept it. That's just an unlucky bounce. Some of Dickey's moves in this game (the Green team, playing Matt Phillips, giving James Mitchell carries) remind me that he has been a good coach for this program in the past.

Dickey didn't coach a perfect game. But in this one instance he coached well enough to win. Blame the current state of the program on him (and I do, too) but UNT lost last Saturday because Matt Phillips threw a pass that was deflected and a LaTech player just happened to be in the right position to intercept it. That's just an unlucky bounce. Some of Dickey's moves in this game (the Green team, playing Matt Phillips, giving James Mitchell carries) remind me that he has been a good coach for this program in the past.

So your going to ignore Meager incompetence in running the offense? Quinn did 99% of work on the 55 yd grab. Meager was bad yet you are going to pick one play of Phillips after he led the team to 17 points to make the game a game again.

How nice. rolleyes.gif

So your going to ignore Meager incompetence in running the offense? Quinn did 99% of work on the 55 yd grab. Meager was bad yet you are going to pick one play of Phillips after he led the team to 17 points to make the game a game again.

How nice.  rolleyes.gif

I think he means that if that ball had not been tipped, Phillips would have taken it to the house and we win.

I think he means that if that ball had not been tipped, Phillips would have taken it to the house and we win.

Or consider that if we'd left Phillips in to play the rest of the game, perhaps we could have scored more points and still won the game. However, we won't ever know because DD won't give Phillips the chance... dry.gif

he has been a good coach for this program in the past.

41-62

He rode one good recruiting class for all it was worth, got lazy, didn't recruit to replace this class (Spencer, Casey, Kennedy, etc...), thought he wouldn't be here now, let the inmates run the asylum and is now paying the piper.

Dickey has beaten Texas Tech, Baylor and SMU, won four conference championships and a bowl game. Plus, he coached back-to-back national rushing champions. Overall, he's sucked the last two seasons, but those are still impressive accomplishments considering what he started with here at North Texas. The bar has been raised. More is expected of him and he has failed to deliver recently. He's going to be given one more year whether you or I like it or not.

Saturday's game was a match-up of two evenly matched teams who played pretty evenly. That one game was decided by a bad bounce, not bad coaching.

Dickey has beaten Texas Tech, Baylor and SMU, won four conference championships and a bowl game. Plus, he coached back-to-back national rushing champions. Overall, he's sucked the last two seasons, but those are still impressive accomplishments considering what he started with here at North Texas. The bar has been raised. More is expected of him and he has failed to deliver recently. He's going to be given one more year whether you or I like it or not.

Saturday's game was a match-up of two evenly matched teams who played pretty evenly. That one game was decided by a bad bounce, not bad coaching.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest but how is it not coaching when you pull out the most effective players and put back the 1st teamers who did squat for the whole game except for a 55 yd pitch and run.

Guest GrayEagleOne

You know, you may be right. But if he is given one more year he'll do it without me and likely another thousand or more of my fellow alums. Even the student body seems to be waning in their support.

Those accomplishments are not something to really beat your chest about. He's had three winning seasons out of nine and one bowl win. He won 8 of 42 non-conference games in nine years and two of those wins were against 1-AA teams. His national rankings (by Howell which is near the consensus) has been 97, 112, 103, 87, 56, 54, 69, 115 and so far this year we are 110. I'm pretty sure that the majority of this board don't think that those numbers are deserving of a tenth year.

Those accomplishments are not something to really beat your chest about.

Heck yeah I beat my chest over those accomplishments. If I didn't there would be no point to following UNT football. Certainly we'll never win a national championship so stuff like conference championships, bowl wins and victories over Big 12 schools and legitamite local rivals are worth celebrating.

I am well aware of the struggles as well as the successes of the Dickey era. Sure I'd prefer RV fire Dickey and lure Jimmy Johnson out of the Fox studio and have him bring his entire early 90s Cowboys coaching staff with him to Denton. But that's not going to happen. Todd Dodge isn't coming either. Neither is Sonny Dykes or the Southern Miss special teams coach. Or anyone else.

Dickey will be given atleast one more season. He accomplished impressive things here once and if he wants to stay here beyond 2007 he will need to figure out how to succeed again. And next season, if we go back to New Orleans you and everyone else who are whining and moaning about him now will be back on the bandwagon.

Certainly we'll never win a national championship....

As long as that is the belief then that is a certain. I'm proud that dreamers like Louisville, Marshall, Tulane and TCU never think that way.

Dickey will be given at least one more season. He accomplished impressive things here once and if he wants to stay here beyond 2007 he will need to figure out how to succeed again.

Why? What gives you reason to believe he's accountable to performance, let alone his public behavior, since his '02 extension?

Acrobats with safety nets don't have to worry about the ground.

Rick

MOSTLY FOR NEWER POSTERS AND LURKERS ESPECIALLY FROM CAMPUS--ALL YOU GMG.COM VETS HAVE READ MOST OF THIS BEFORE SO...........SAVE YOUR TIME--GO TO THE FRIDGE AND GET A COLD ONE. smile.gif

MG Insurance Pro, on what basis would you say that the most unpopular football coach in UNT history (that is, with many years on the UNT payroll) & whose non-stop radio comments dissing both his employer and its alums/fans making him most unpopular to a growing army of NT Exes; anyway, on what info or authority might you have (that you can divulge) that says DD will be back for another year at UNT? (I defer to the bottom of this page sentence in Big Green Letters).

FWIW, some of us are trying to think of any other major universities with an NCAA D1-A football program who has pro-active upper echelon leaders with full intentions to improve its football product as to rise up among the 119 member D1-A ladder who would even have a need for one minute to be discussing such a ridiculous possibility as giving Darrell Dickey even just one more month after this one an extra year at UNT?

So who of you who has some contact with the upper echelon can sit them down over a cup of coffee or a brewskie and talk up some sensible ideas as to give our school's football program a chance to succeed? Will they allow furniture guy influence them as to sellout because of the dangling of the Big Green Carrott?

But FWIW...........not even the Houston-based furniture guy can (by himself) fill 15,000 empty seats we've had in 9 years at Fouts with his bud in charge. As they say, money cannot buy everything and it will (certainly) not buy those 15,000 M.I.A. fans especially if they all begin to smell a skunk with how all this is being managed in Denton (and they will all eventually find out because what you do in the dark always gets found out in the daylight.

So at UNT............... we just give him one more year (while a positive, upbeat one is waiting in the wings who will be able to deliver us out of this quagmire of SBC/Bottom 25 football? So.............why delay that for whatever reason?

our having a head football coach in Denton who in 9 years has a 41 W**62 L career record and whose style has hardly inspired or synergized its fan base past 15K per home game averages even during 4 bowl years. Can any of you think of such a D1-A school operating like this now or in the past except one particular school located in Denton, Texas?

Many think we do have some serious leadership problems at UNT where many may find it quite strange as to why they'd even have to give this a 2'nd thought as far as bringing back a coach at the non BCS level who has a W/L record that his last 3-4 years quality of recruiting suggests it might take him another 9 years in Denton to have any semblance of an opportunity to reach .500 in Wins/Losses. huh.gif

And if some of our UNT leaders are having to struggle with what would be a no-brainer decision at all the other 9 Lone Star State-based NCAA D1-A football playing schools and what our leaders have (somewhat) turned into one helluva' rocket science of a problem, then (perhaps) many of the UNT community might even begin to wonder (if many haven't started already); that is, wondering if our present upper echelon leaders may very well have problems making key decisions concerning the academic aspecst of our school as well. With who one or 2 of them are doing their dead level best to grant some form of tenureship with our head football coach, God only knows who they might suggest for tenureship in the academic areas of our alma mater. unsure.gif

AND IN CLOSING rolleyes.gif ..............since UNT's favorite son, ie, Bobby Ray has been chairman of the UNT Board of Regents, just how much has UNT's endowment coffer$ grown might be another question from many he might want one of his special assistants or aides to address to many in the UNT community who would be interested in knowing.

If UNT's top leaders are trying their best to make all this very easy for NT Exes to not be impressed enough as to invest in, then "WALA (!)" they are very well on their way of becoming a success in that regard.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen