DRC sports staff on UNT football

NT80

D-RC sports staff on UNT football

02:51 PM CST on Wednesday, November 1, 2006

moderator: Sports Editor Russ Goodall and UNT beat writer Brett Vito will take questions at 2 p.m. Wednesday, November 1, on Mean Green athletics.

moderator: Sports Editor Russ Goodall and UNT beat writer Brett Vito will now take questions on Mean Green football.

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Here we are again for another round of Q&A. Fire away and Brett and I will do our best to answer your questions.

moderator: North Texas suffered another loss this past weekend. It looked as if the defense played another good game. Was it the same old problems with the offense?

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Yes, the offense just bogged down when it got into the red zone. UNT has struggled offensively all season, and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: Perhaps the most discouraging aspect to the game for UNT was that Jamario's recent run of success came to an end. He had rushed for at least 100 yards in three of UNT's last four games, but finished with just 23 yards on 18 carries against Troy. UNT thought it might be working out its troubles running the ball, but took a big step backward, which is pretty hard to do considering how bad UNT has been offensively this year.

moderator: Travis Scott: I am a graduate of UNT and my wife and I are supporters of Mean Green athletics. It's so hard being a Mean Green football fan...You would think that after 4 consecutive bowl appearances and conference championships, we could attract some pretty decent recruits. Why is it that we can't? Why do we only recruit from Texas and Oklahoma? Why is Dickey still allowed to coach in Division-I football? Why have we lost all respect and momentum that we had from those 4 great years? Again, why is Dickey still here? Why can't we figure out who is going to be our quarterback after 7 games!?! WHY DOESN'T THE PRESS START SLAMMING THE EXTREMELY POOR PLAY CALLING???????

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: UNT concentrates its recruiting efforts in Texas and Oklahoma and only goes outside that two-state area if there is a specific reason to do so, like a previous relationship with a player's family. The big problem UNT is running into now is that it didn't recruit well in the bowl years. There are not a lot of impact players left from the 2002 and 2003 recruiting classes. Those struggles in recruiting have contributed to UNT's quarterback problems.

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Travis, lets take these one at a time. First, kids that can play division I football are not attracted by the Sun Belt Conference. There is very little TV exposure and the champion only goes to the New Orleans Bowl. Second, If you can't get the recruits you want from Texas and Oklahoma, what makes you think they are going to be able to get them from the other 48 states?... Third, Dickey is the ONLY coach that has had success at UNT since the days of Hayden Fry and now you want to run him out of town as well. Don't you think 4 conference champions allows him a little lattitude to get this thing turned around?? Fourth, this is a what have you done lately business -- especially here at UNT. They didn't pack the stadium when they were winning, what do you expect when they are not winning... Finally, none of the three quarterbacks have taken the job from the other two. But, with Meager's recent concussion, I don't think you will see him again this season. So, it is down to two.... Finally, it is the same play calling that won 4 SBC titles. I slammed it then and I have slammed it all season. This is not a good offensive football team and the play calling is horrible, but it won't change until Ramon Flanigan is no longer the Offensive coordinator.

moderator: Will North Texas start to look at some younger players now that it is out of the picture in the race for the Sun Belt Conference title?

Sports editor Russ Goodall: I believe UNT has been playing young players all season. I don't think you will see any difference down the stretch. Dickey's job is on the line, so he is going to go with the best players that can help UNT win.

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: Dickey said this week that UNT will only look to younger players if they help give UNT a better chance to win. A few players like David Collins and Bryant Seidle will have more opportunities, but don't expect a whole lot of lineup changes.

moderator: MeanRob in Denton: I saw where Michigan State fired John L. Smith today, which makes me wonder will and or should coach Dickey be fired at the end of the season??

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Rob, I think the final stretch this season will tell the tale. If UNT can pick up some wins and play the role of spoiler, I think he for sure deserves to be back next season. If UNT loses out, then I think it will be time to make a change.

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: Dickey still has time to turn the season around, although UNT is out of the race for the Sun Belt title. Dickey has done a lot for the university and deserves time to turn the program around. How much time he has left to get that task done will be determined in the final few weeks of the season.

moderator: Jeff in Aubrey: Is the quarterback that will lead this team back to prominence on the roster now?

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Jeff, the answer to your question is simple -- No. UNT is going to have to hit the recruiting trail hard and land a good young quarterback. That is easier said then done, but if one of these three quarterbacks is starting 2 years from now, then UNT will still be in a funk.

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: UNT has juggled three guys, but it seems as if Daniel Meager will have every opportunity to win the starting job. He fits UNT's system and makes the best decisions of the bunch. Woody Wilson has the most athletic talent. It will be a matter if he can learn the ofense well enough to become the starter.

moderator: Mike in The Point: How is North Texas favored over anybody, much less La. Tech?

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Good question Mike. From what I have seen this year, UNT shouldn't be favored over anybody. Right now, they wouldn't be favored to beat Southlake Carroll.

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: Tech is not the same team it was last year and has a very young defense. Both teams are stuggling and UNT is at home, so the Mean Green ended up being the favorite. Someone has to be a favorite when two struggling teams face off.

moderator: UNT diehard: Are there any running backs on the roster that can actually get to the edge on a running play? or is all we have is Jamario Thomas who has to run between the tackles??

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Diehard, I dont believe there is a back on the roster that can get to the edge. UNT has put all of its eggs in Jamario's basket and it has come back to hurt the Mean Green this year. But, it is not all Jamario's fault, the offensive line has been horrible and that leads to the lack of production in the running game.

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: Jamario has lost some speed, but he can still get to the corner at times. Evan Robertson is the fastest running back on the team, but is very small for a Division I player. Jamario is UNT's best option at this point.

moderator: Has coach Dickey resumed all of his duties or is he still limited in what he does?

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Dickey is pretty much at full speed now. I dont know if the doctors have given him that kind of clearance, but he is back in the thick of it.

UNT beat writer Brett Vito: Coach Dickey is back pretty much fulltime. He mighrt not spend quite as much time at the office as he used to, but he is at practice every day.

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Well, we are going to cut it a little short today, Brett has a lot of work to do to get ready for Saturday's tilt with La. Tech. Thanks for the good questions. Keep them coming for next week. Talk to you then.

[

moderator: Mike in The Point: How is North Texas favored over anybody, much less La. Tech?

Sports editor Russ Goodall: Good question Mike. From what I have seen this year, UNT shouldn't be favored over anybody. Right now, they wouldn't be favored to beat Southlake Carroll.

Vegas Line : Southlake 21 North Texas 17

Edited by NT03

Finally, it is the same play calling that won 4 SBC titles. I slammed it then and I have slammed it all season. This is not a good offensive football team and the play calling is horrible, but it won't change until Ramon Flanigan is no longer the Offensive coordinator.

Dear Russ,

It's been the same play calling long before the 4 SBC titles, long before Ramon Flanigan became Offensive coordinator. If you don't believe me ask Tim MacMahon. tmacmahon@dallasnews.com

Rick

Revised on Thursday evening

NEW UNBELIEVABLE POSSIBILITIES OF EVEN MORE OF THE UNT UPPER ECHELON LEADERSHIP'S BLATANT ABUSE OF THEIR POWER IN A PARAGRAPH (OR 2) LISTED AT THE HALF WAY POINT OF THIS POST (If you choose to read any of this, then read those paragraphs at the mid-point of this one--it will make your hair stand on end as to what our top leaders are alleged to be up to again

Another Question: Why would any of you of our top UNT leadership want 2 more years of DD Ball and DD Recruiting no matter how this can all be bought and paid for from any potential Big Donor AND I MEAN FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY? A new football stadium at UNT can be had in ways that will show to the rest of the state of Texas that our leaders do have some semblance of scruples and sense of morals as not to sellout to anyone. wink.gif

All this the latest very strong rumor is saying we will get in MG Country 2 more years of DD Ball and since we all know already what the last 3 years of DD Recruiting has produced, who of you think in light of present trends that 2 more years of DD on the UNT payroll at head football coach is going to do nothing but alienate even more NT Exes many of whom are already distancing themselves away from this sham of a football program that seems to be getting run from our own administration bldg where our UNT Board of Regents many times have their meetings as I undertand it.

Just what is your, that is, you all as our UNT upper echelon group of leaders that makes you think this school cannot live without ol' 9 Lives @ UNT Darrell Dickey who along with his Kansas Konnection has you thinking this man is some kind of freakin' football genius and Goose That Laid Some Kind of Golden Egg?

Top UNT's Leaders: Do yall ever take the time to read the most recent NT Football Media Guide that will show in plain black and white print that DD is far from being any kind of Goose That Laid The Golden Egg (but rather in his case seems to be the one that laid something much less inspiring than an egg?) 15,000 per home game averages the last 9 years indicates this man is NOT The Goose That Laid Any Kind of Golden Egg. His very sarcastic and cutting radio comments thru the years prevented many of the other 15,000 who would be the ones to fill all those 15,000 empty seats most every home game from even caring if DD is a Goose or a Duck as it is anyway! rolleyes.gif

Yet another question:

Why is it that some think the last 3 recruiting classes are supposed to turn this football program back to where we are the best of the worst even if DD were around another year or two? Come on, people, if we set low goals (which the SBC is just that) we are likely to meet those goals every once in a while but you can forget having any wins over any of the Top 75 D1-A schools because our recruiting under DD will not be able to compete against those OOC schools. We sorta' have proof and trends that justify that, too, now don't we? sad.gif

To quote El Paso Eagle from another thread:

Why such low expectations with SBC success being nirvana for so many NT fans?

My answer: That's all most of them have ever seen so spoon-feeding that group (from the DD Gang) into thinking SBC success is the ultimate has been a piece of cake during this DD Ball era.

Another Question: Are we going to enjoy the next 2 years under Darrell "ol' 9 Lives at UNT" Dickey?

Answer: Maybe a handful of you who show up at Fouts Field next season might enjoy "your boy" and the excitement that is Dickey Ball. rolleyes.gif

Another Question: How long before all this low expectation with its results and continued 15,000 per home game averages (and that because of continuous low expectation) causes one of our high ranking offcials, you know, the "book worm'ish" looking one make all his fellow SMU alums most happy with him by his making his own alma mater at University Park 1 of only 2 NCAA D1-A football playing schools in the DFW Metroplex? The other one over here in Fort Worth, of course.

Don't forget, anything is possible at UNT, folks, because we now even have those toward the top trying to resurrect the the most obvious dead-end career (at UNT, at least) of Darrell Dickey at each and every one of our expenses; that is, many of you Young Gun Alums as well as the many of us who have put much time and money into this program long B4 many of you were merely gleams in your daddy's eyes). rolleyes.gif

Another Key Question: How long will it take Bobby Ray to pack his bags (and all his apparent non-knowledge of what a successful NCAA D1-A football program at the upper echelon even smells like); anyway, how long will it take him to pack his box and boogie off to wherever and whatever he was doing (which was not attending UNT football games) before Texas Governor Rick Perry (indirectly) introduced him to his alma maters football program? Why such a question as that? Well..................how about 'cause to this day, no one I know (and I know many of you on and beyond this board) ever remember seeing him at NTSC, NTSU or UNT games during any of the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980's or the 1990's and maybe part of the early part of this new milleneum. blink.gif

Folks, thats a whole bunch of years for someone who did not support his own college alma mater's football team to suddenly be an expert about it and be making major decisions about it that will affect us all long after he and Darrell Dickey will be no where to be seen (like its been with most of our past UNT Board of Regents of which many of you older nestors would substantiate)? ohmy.gif

Yet Another Question: How long will the blatant and stark reality of much of the things said in this post be snatched from plain sight (and GMG.com) and put into the "The Truth Really Does Hurt" file for whatever their reason or possible agendas for possibly removing this post? NOTE: Hey administrators, you know I love you all (no, not that kind of love thank you very much) but you know what I mean) :rolleyes but this is all about letting more of our grUNTS be informed about what our UNT Elitist Secret Society, that is, those 1 or 2 who seem to really enjoy keeping Mean Green football low profile, barefoot and pregnant because of who they (most strangley) most always want to keep on the UNT payroll. Anyway, our fellow grUNTS just need to be aware of these who would be running the show at UNT these days, ie, those who I now know from info I received this very week who don't allow some of our hired key personel do their jobs.

READ THIS LONG PARAGRAPH ADDED TODAY (THURS) IF YOU READ ANYTHING AT ALL IN THIS WAY TOO LONG EPISTLE: rolleyes.gif This is speculation from things heard from those who are usually not into telling ficttional stories. We all had hints last Spring on some comments mady by Said Big Donor what he would $upport as long as Darrell Dickey was at UNT (and that from an NT football letterman who played for Fry for crissakes). So this pretty accurute speculation could most likely happen at UNT since we know our UNT Chairman of the BOR's early in his tenureship showed a great propensity to want to play "Athletic Director" when we already had one who many had condince in already on the UNT payroll.

BUT...........fellow alums and Mean Green fans, our Kansas Stater has no (apparent) intentions of leaving UNT at all in the head football coaches position, and from hearing from a few of you he now has the same confidence and swagger he had when he knew he could get by with just about anything he did and said with approval from Bobby Ray; how about starting with DD's kicking his employer around at any chance he had as well as getting in some real nice pot shots non-stop aimed toward NT Exes and Mean Green fans and with much sarcasm on those broadcasted post-game shows. All this that DD did for years and (apparently) even as of now has no reason (whatsoever) to worry again because Bobby Ray Is Back In Town doing what Bobby Ray does best.............Meddles With UNT Athletics When We Already Have One Hired To Do The Job, namely Rick V...................and word is from a usually most reliable source that our Napoleon of the North is mixing business with a major Big Donor who will (unashamedly) hold our school hostage for his own personal whims (I call it whoring our school out, quite frankly); and he doing that by dangling a Big Green Carrot in front of Bobby Ray and some key UNT leaders who most of us hope will not jump at to try to take a bite out of that Big Green Carrotts SINCE............with the Big Green Carrott will come stipulations that UNT keep DD in Denton another 2 years no matter what the masses feel about all this. mad.gif Folks, do head football coaches with multi-years of low profile disguised successes and mediocrity get to stay on the payrolls for very long at UT, TAMU, Texas Tech, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UH, etc, etc, etc, sad.gif You bet your life they don't.

Another Question: What really is the deal here? Why doesn't said Big Donor just hire Darrell in whatever company he has and give UNT Mean Green football an honest chance to start recruiting players (who would join a hardy handful of some pretty good players (but just not near enough of them) so we can compete against and who knows EVEN BEAT some OOC school in the Top 75 of NCAA D1-A in our lifetimes? laugh.gif

Why would any potential Big Donor for UNT dangle a Big Green Carrott with any kind of personel-related stipulations that (in the case of UNT) would be so damn "counter-produtive (such as what keeping DD on payroll would be after the next few weeks). Unless some of you have forgotten, 2007 football recruiting has been going on for weeks. Do we need another DD Recruiting class in Denton, folks?

YET........................why would ANY donor want to hold their own alma mater hostage by demanding we keep a broken down Studebaker when we can go out and get us a new Chevy? Is the Almight Dollor Bill (no matter what amount and I mean whatever the amount) and bowing down to it and those who would be blessed putting his alma mater in a very awkward position of keeping one of the payroll that is the most unpopular coach (over the amount of years he as ) I've seen in Mean Green Football history. blink.gif Anyway, why would anyone want to make UNT make some very unpopular decisions over even ONE MAN who will never one time come back to Denton once he is off the payroll? wink.gif

People, if we don't start raising hell and asking questions now as to why the top officials at UNT seem to not want to allow our school to function anything like those upper profile schools we'd like to emulate, ie.............

................ all those other upwardly bound NCAA D1-A football programs that spend more of their time in the Top 25 rather than the Bottom 10-15 schools in our division. Nevertheless, if we don't ask those upper echelon UNT leaders who can somehow explain to us and give us some answers to legitimate questions, 1 or 2 on our campus are going to extend even more mediocre time from the fan/school bashing Kansas St. Konnection at UNT for another 2 years................... as that group continues to laugh their heads off at how they can get their way on anything with what they probably see as a bunch of hay-seed bush-league UNT officials; you know, the ones they have hood-winked into accepting 9 years of low expection and disguised success at the NCAA D1-A level? ph34r.gif

PS: Any of you who think any UNT official or Board of Regent needs to read most or all of the aforementioned thoughts, you have my full permission rolleyes.gif to email this to anyone affiliated with UNT. I guarantee you some of them need to know that what they are doing in the dark is getting found out in the daylight among many NT Exes and Mean Green fans. They can run, but they cannot hide from all of us. ohmy.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It appears that Russ Goodall is basically a Dickey apologist who ignores the constant UNT bashing by DD and the bashing of the fans by DD and I am sure also by other coaches.

Yeah he won 4 Titles, mostcoaches build off of that but not DD and Comp they became complacent stealing money in contract extensions and resting on their laurels while attendance stagnated except for 1-2 games a year and recruiting has stunk since the Booger, Spencer, Brewster classes.

Keep apologizing and let the copaches ruin football at UNT. dry.gif

I think this statement was one of the most telling.  And begs the question: If DD didn't recruit well in the bowl years, what kind of chance do you have when you go 2-9?

I caught that too and submitted that question for next week's chat. We'll see if it is answered.

I think this statement was one of the most telling.  And begs the question: If DD didn't recruit well in the bowl years, what kind of chance do you have when you go 2-9?

Exactly...

As many of you know:

Businesses do much planning using trends as the indicators they would go by.

Marketing firms plan for other businesses using trends as indicators they would go by to have a chance to create success for a new account.

At UNT we use, uh, well, you know.....................................................? unsure.gif

I apologize to no one............(sorry, wrong speech/wrong person here); rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I do apologize for yet another manifesto sad.gif (4 posts above this one) but, folks, at some point in time we need to take back ownership of our school's football program and we don't have to do that by marching on our campus with fire-lit torches either; but instead, we can do this (en mass) by communicating to our powers that be with emails, letters, phone calls, etc,etc, etc,............

....................and once again using all those means of communications to the key members of the UNT Administration and the UNT Board of Regents as to what we all (collectively) feel will work in Denton and what won't work in Denton; also, what we feel will appeal not to just us, ie, the few, the bold, the brave, of this and other UNT-oriented message boards, but what will appeal to the majority of our UNT constituency (and not just the NCAA D1-A minimum of 15,000 per home game who've shown at Fouts Field for most of the past several years).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

NEW UNBELIEVABLE POSSIBILITIES OF EVEN MORE OF THE UNT UPPER ECHELON LEADERSHIP'S BLATANT ABUSE OF THEIR POWER IN A PARAGRAPH (OR 2) LISTED AT THE HALF WAY POINT OF THIS POST (If you choose to read any of this, then read those paragraphs at the mid-point of this one--it will make your hair stand on end as to what our top leaders are alleged to be up to again

Another Question:  Why would any of you of our top UNT leadership want 2 more years of DD Ball and DD Recruiting no matter how this can all be bought and paid for from any potential Big Donor AND I MEAN FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY?   A new football stadium at UNT can be had in ways that will show to the rest of the state of Texas that our leaders do have some semblance of scruples and sense of morals as not to sellout to anyone. wink.gif

All this the latest very strong rumor is saying we will get in MG Country 2 more years of DD Ball and since we all know already what the last 3 years of DD Recruiting has produced, who of you think in light of present trends that 2 more years of DD on the UNT payroll at head football coach is going to do nothing but alienate even more NT Exes many of whom are already distancing themselves away from this sham of a football program that seems to be getting run from our own administration bldg where our UNT Board of Regents many times have their meetings as I undertand it.  

Just what is your, that is, you all as our UNT upper echelon group of leaders that makes you think this school cannot live without ol' 9 Lives @ UNT Darrell Dickey who along with his Kansas Konnection has you thinking this man is some kind of freakin' football genius and Goose That Laid Some Kind of Golden Egg? 

Top UNT's Leaders:  Do yall ever take the time to read the most recent NT Football Media Guide that will show in plain black and white print that DD is far from being any kind of Goose That Laid The Golden Egg (but rather in his case seems to be the one that laid something much less inspiring than an egg?)  15,000 per home game averages the last 9 years indicates this man is NOT The Goose That Laid Any Kind of Golden Egg.  His very sarcastic and cutting radio comments thru the years prevented many of the other 15,000 who would be the ones to fill all those 15,000 empty seats most every home game from even caring if DD is a Goose or a Duck as it is anyway! rolleyes.gif

Yet another question:

Why is it that some think the last 3 recruiting classes are supposed to turn this football program back to where we are the best of the worst even if DD were around another year or two?   Come on, people, if we set low goals (which the SBC is just that) we are likely to meet those goals every once in a while but you can forget having any wins over any of the Top 75 D1-A schools because our recruiting under DD will not be able to compete against those OOC schools.  We sorta' have proof and trends that justify that, too, now don't we? sad.gif

My answer: That's all most of them have ever seen so spoon-feeding that group (from the DD Gang) into thinking SBC success is the ultimate has been a piece of cake during this DD Ball era.

Another Question:  Are we going to enjoy the next 2 years under Darrell "ol' 9 Lives at UNT" Dickey?

Answer:  Maybe a handful of you who show up at Fouts Field next season might enjoy "your boy" and the excitement that is Dickey Ball. rolleyes.gif

Another Question:  How long before all this low expectation with its results and continued 15,000 per home game averages (and that because of continuous low expectation) causes one of our high ranking offcials, you know, the  "book worm'ish" looking one make all his fellow SMU alums most happy with him by his making his own alma mater at University Park 1 of only 2 NCAA D1-A football playing schools in the DFW Metroplex?  The other one over here in Fort Worth, of course.

Don't forget, anything is possible at UNT, folks, because we now even have those toward the top trying to resurrect the the most obvious dead-end career (at UNT, at least) of Darrell Dickey at each and every one of our expenses; that is, many of you Young Gun Alums as well as the many of us who have put much time and money into this program long B4 many of you were merely gleams in your daddy's eyes). rolleyes.gif

Another Key Question: How long will it take Bobby Ray to pack his bags (and all his apparent non-knowledge of what a successful NCAA D1-A football program at the upper echelon even smells like);  anyway, how long will it take him to pack his box and boogie off to wherever and whatever he was doing (which was not attending UNT football games) before Texas Governor Rick Perry (indirectly) introduced him to his alma maters football program?   Why such a question as that?  Well..................how about 'cause to this day, no one I know (and I know many of you on and beyond this board) ever remember seeing him at NTSC, NTSU or UNT games during any of the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980's or the 1990's and maybe part of the early part of this new milleneum. blink.gif  

Folks, thats a whole bunch of years for someone who did not support his own college alma mater's football team to suddenly be an expert about it and be making major decisions about it that will affect us all long after he and Darrell Dickey will be no where to be seen (like its been with most of our past UNT Board of Regents of which many of you older nestors would substantiate)? ohmy.gif

Yet Another Question:  How long will the blatant and stark reality of much of the things said in this post be snatched from plain sight (and GMG.com) and put into the "The Truth Really Does Hurt" file for whatever their reason or possible agendas for possibly removing this post?   NOTE:  Hey administrators, you know I love you all (no, not that kind of love thank you very much) but you know what I mean) :rolleyes but this is all about letting more of our grUNTS be informed about what our UNT Elitist Secret Society, that is, those 1 or 2 who seem to really enjoy keeping Mean Green football low profile,  barefoot and pregnant because of who they (most strangley) most always want to keep on the UNT payroll.  Anyway, our fellow grUNTS just need to be aware of these who would be running the show at UNT these days, ie, those who I now know from info I received this very week who don't allow some of our hired key personel do their jobs. 

READ THIS LONG PARAGRAPH ADDED TODAY (THURS) IF YOU READ ANYTHING AT ALL IN THIS WAY TOO LONG EPISTLE: rolleyes.gif  This is speculation from things heard from those who are usually not into telling ficttional stories.  We all had hints last Spring on some comments mady by Said Big Donor what he would $upport as long as Darrell Dickey was at UNT (and that from an NT football letterman who played for Fry for crissakes).  So this pretty accurute speculation could most likely happen at UNT since we know our UNT Chairman of the BOR's early in his tenureship showed a great propensity to want to play "Athletic Director" when we already had one who many had condince in already on the UNT payroll.

BUT...........fellow alums and Mean Green fans, our Kansas Stater has no (apparent) intentions of leaving UNT at all in the head football coaches position, and  from hearing from a few of you he now has the same confidence and swagger he had when he knew he could get by with just about anything he did and said with approval from Bobby Ray; how about starting with DD's kicking his employer around at any chance he had as well as getting in some real nice pot shots non-stop aimed toward NT Exes and Mean Green fans and with much sarcasm on those broadcasted post-game shows.  All this that DD did for years and (apparently) even as of now has no reason (whatsoever)  to worry again because Bobby Ray Is Back In Town doing what Bobby Ray does best.............Meddles With UNT Athletics When We Already Have One Hired To Do The Job, namely Rick V...................and word is from a usually most reliable source that our Napoleon of the North is mixing business with a major Big Donor who will (unashamedly) hold our school hostage for his own personal whims (I call it whoring our school out, quite frankly);  and he doing that by dangling a Big Green Carrot in front of Bobby Ray and some key UNT leaders who most of us hope will not jump at to try to take a bite out of that Big Green Carrotts SINCE............with the Big Green Carrott will come stipulations that UNT keep DD in Denton another 2 years no matter what the masses feel about all this. mad.gif  Folks, do head football coaches with multi-years of low profile disguised successes and mediocrity get to stay on the payrolls for very long at UT, TAMU, Texas Tech, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UH, etc, etc, etc,  sad.gif   You bet your life they don't.

Another Question:  What really is the deal here?  Why doesn't said Big Donor just hire Darrell in whatever company he has and give UNT Mean Green football an honest chance to start recruiting players (who would join a hardy handful of some pretty good players (but just not near enough of them) so we can compete against and who knows EVEN BEAT some OOC school in the Top 75 of NCAA D1-A in our lifetimes? laugh.gif   

Why would any potential Big Donor for UNT dangle a Big Green Carrott with any kind of personel-related stipulations that (in the case of UNT) would be so damn "counter-produtive (such as what keeping DD on payroll would be after the next few weeks).  Unless some of you have forgotten,  2007 football recruiting has been going on for weeks.  Do we need another DD Recruiting class in Denton, folks?

YET........................why would ANY donor want to hold their own alma mater hostage by demanding we keep a broken down Studebaker when we can go out and get us a new Chevy?   Is the Almight Dollor Bill (no matter what amount and I mean whatever the amount) and bowing down to it and those who would be blessed putting his alma mater in a very awkward position of keeping one of the payroll that is the most unpopular coach (over the amount of years he as ) I've seen in Mean Green Football history. blink.gif   Anyway, why would anyone want to make UNT make some very unpopular decisions over even ONE MAN who will never one time come back to Denton once he is off the payroll? wink.gif

People, if we don't start raising hell and asking questions now as to why the top officials at UNT seem to not want to allow our school to function anything like those upper profile schools we'd like to emulate, ie.............

................ all those other upwardly bound NCAA D1-A football programs that spend more of their time in the Top 25 rather than the Bottom 10-15 schools in our division.   Nevertheless, if we don't ask those upper echelon UNT leaders who can somehow explain to us and give us some answers to legitimate questions, 1 or 2 on our campus are going to extend even more mediocre time from the fan/school bashing Kansas St. Konnection at UNT for another 2 years................... as that group  continues to laugh their heads off at how they can get their way on anything with what they probably see as a bunch of hay-seed bush-league UNT officials;  you know, the ones they have hood-winked into accepting 9 years of low expection and disguised success at the NCAA D1-A level? ph34r.gif

PS:  Any of you who think any UNT official or Board of Regent needs to read most or all of the aforementioned thoughts, you have my full permission rolleyes.gif  to email this to anyone affiliated with UNT.  I guarantee you some of them need to know that what they are doing in the dark is getting found out in the daylight among many NT Exes and Mean Green fans.  They can run, but they cannot hide from all of us. ohmy.gif

PlumMeanGreen, geez maneez i got ADD. no way am i gonna read that thesis. if i want to put that much effort into reading, it will be the Bible. chill my friend!

Edited by football fan

The team is young.  Not losing many starters.  Next year will be better regardless of the QB situation.  We may find out however, that a good QB is already on the squad but no one knows it yet.

I hate being a "young" team. It seems like an easy cop out for a coaching staff that can't develop talent.

The team is young.  Not losing many starters.  Next year will be better regardless of the QB situation.  We may find out however, that a good QB is already on the squad but no one knows it yet.

Are you kidding me!!! This is the same excuse used last year and several other years.

This is the purest definition of a cop out for the coaches. We need new coaches who have some fire in their bellies and want to win not just show up and go thru the motions.

Another Question:  Why would any of you of our top UNT leadership want 2 more years of DD Ball and DD Recruiting no matter how this can all be bought and paid for from any potential Big Donor AND I MEAN FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY?  A new football stadium at UNT can be had in ways that will show to the rest of the state of Texas that our leaders do have some semblance of scruples and sense of morals as not to sellout to anyone. wink.gif

Top UNT's Leaders:  Do yall ever take the time to read the most recent NT Football Media Guide that will show in plain black and white print that DD is far from being any kind of Goose That Laid The Golden Egg (but rather in his case seems to be the one that laid something much less inspiring than an egg?)  15,000 per home game averages the last 9 years indicates this man is NOT The Goose That Laid Any Kind of Golden Egg.  His very sarcastic and cutting radio comments thru the years prevented many of the other 15,000 who would be the ones to fill all those 15,000 empty seats most every home game from even caring if DD is a Goose or a Duck as it is anyway! rolleyes.gif

Yet another question:

Why is it that some think the last 3 recruiting classes are supposed to turn this football program back to where we are the best of the worst even if DD were around another year or two?  Come on, people, if we set low goals (which the SBC is just that) we are likely to meet those goals every once in a while but you can forget having any wins over any of the Top 75 D1-A schools because our recruiting under DD will not be able to compete against those OOC schools.  We sorta' have proof and trends that justify that, too, now don't we? sad.gif

Another Question:  Are we going to enjoy the next 2 years under Darrell "ol' 9 Lives at UNT" Dickey?

Answer:  Maybe a handful of you who show up at Fouts Field next season might enjoy "your boy" and the excitement that is Dickey Ball. rolleyes.gif

Another Question:  How long before all this low expectation with its results and continued 15,000 per home game averages (and that because of continuous low expectation) causes one of our high ranking offcials, you know, the  "book worm'ish" looking one make all his fellow SMU alums most happy with him by his making his own alma mater at University Park 1 of only 2 NCAA D1-A football playing schools in the DFW Metroplex?  The other one over here in Fort Worth, of course.

Another Key Question: How long will it take Bobby Ray to pack his bags (and all his apparent non-knowledge of what a successful NCAA D1-A football program at the upper echelon even smells like);  anyway, how long will it take him to pack his box and boogie off to wherever and whatever he was doing (which was not attending UNT football games) before Texas Governor Rick Perry (indirectly) introduced him to his alma maters football program?  Why such a question as that?  Well..................how about 'cause to this day, no one I know (and I know many of you on and beyond this board) ever remember seeing him at NTSC, NTSU or UNT games during any of the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980's or the 1990's and maybe part of the early part of this new milleneum. blink.gif 

Yet Another Question:  How long will the blatant and stark reality of much of the things said in this post be snatched from plain sight (and GMG.com) and put into the "The Truth Really Does Hurt" file for whatever their reason or possible agendas for possibly removing this post?  NOTE:  Hey administrators, you know I love you all (no, not that kind of love thank you very much) but you know what I mean) :rolleyes but this is all about letting more of our grUNTS be informed about what our UNT Elitist Secret Society, that is, those 1 or 2 who seem to really enjoy keeping Mean Green football low profile,  barefoot and pregnant because of who they (most strangley) most always want to keep on the UNT payroll.  Anyway, our fellow grUNTS just need to be aware of these who would be running the show at UNT these days, ie, those who I now know from info I received this very week who don't allow some of our hired key personel do their jobs. 

READ THIS LONG PARAGRAPH ADDED TODAY (THURS) IF YOU READ ANYTHING AT ALL IN THIS WAY TOO LONG EPISTLE: rolleyes.gif  This is speculation from things heard from those who are usually not into telling ficttional stories.  We all had hints last Spring on some comments mady by Said Big Donor what he would $upport as long as Darrell Dickey was at UNT (and that from an NT football letterman who played for Fry for crissakes).  So this pretty accurute speculation could most likely happen at UNT since we know our UNT Chairman of the BOR's early in his tenureship showed a great propensity to want to play "Athletic Director" when we already had one who many had condince in already on the UNT payroll.

BUT...........fellow alums and Mean Green fans, our Kansas Stater has no (apparent) intentions of leaving UNT at all in the head football coaches position, and  from hearing from a few of you he now has the same confidence and swagger he had when he knew he could get by with just about anything he did and said with approval from Bobby Ray; how about starting with DD's kicking his employer around at any chance he had as well as getting in some real nice pot shots non-stop aimed toward NT Exes and Mean Green fans and with much sarcasm on those broadcasted post-game shows.  All this that DD did for years and (apparently) even as of now has no reason (whatsoever)  to worry again because Bobby Ray Is Back In Town doing what Bobby Ray does best.............Meddles With UNT Athletics When We Already Have One Hired To Do The Job, namely Rick V...................and word is from a usually most reliable source that our Napoleon of the North is mixing business with a major Big Donor who will (unashamedly) hold our school hostage for his own personal whims (I call it whoring our school out, quite frankly);  and he doing that by dangling a Big Green Carrot in front of Bobby Ray and some key UNT leaders who most of us hope will not jump at to try to take a bite out of that Big Green Carrotts SINCE............with the Big Green Carrott will come stipulations that UNT keep DD in Denton another 2 years no matter what the masses feel about all this. mad.gif  Folks, do head football coaches with multi-years of low profile disguised successes and mediocrity get to stay on the payrolls for very long at UT, TAMU, Texas Tech, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UH, etc, etc, etc,  sad.gif  You bet your life they don't.

Another Question:  What really is the deal here?  Why doesn't said Big Donor just hire Darrell in whatever company he has and give UNT Mean Green football an honest chance to start recruiting players (who would join a hardy handful of some pretty good players (but just not near enough of them) so we can compete against and who knows EVEN BEAT some OOC school in the Top 75 of NCAA D1-A in our lifetimes? laugh.gif   

Why would any potential Big Donor for UNT dangle a Big Green Carrott with any kind of personel-related stipulations that (in the case of UNT) would be so damn "counter-produtive (such as what keeping DD on payroll would be after the next few weeks).  Unless some of you have forgotten,  2007 football recruiting has been going on for weeks.  Do we need another DD Recruiting class in Denton, folks?

YET........................why would ANY donor want to hold their own alma mater hostage by demanding we keep a broken down Studebaker when we can go out and get us a new Chevy?  Is the Almight Dollor Bill (no matter what amount and I mean whatever the amount) and bowing down to it and those who would be blessed putting his alma mater in a very awkward position of keeping one of the payroll that is the most unpopular coach (over the amount of years he as ) I've seen in Mean Green Football history. blink.gif  Anyway, why would anyone want to make UNT make some very unpopular decisions over even ONE MAN who will never one time come back to Denton once he is off the payroll? wink.gif

................ all those other upwardly bound NCAA D1-A football programs that spend more of their time in the Top 25 rather than the Bottom 10-15 schools in our division.  Nevertheless, if we don't ask those upper echelon UNT leaders who can somehow explain to us and give us some answers to legitimate questions, 1 or 2 on our campus are going to extend even more mediocre time from the fan/school bashing Kansas St. Konnection at UNT for another 2 years................... as that group  continues to laugh their heads off at how they can get their way on anything with what they probably see as a bunch of hay-seed bush-league UNT officials;  you know, the ones they have hood-winked into accepting 9 years of low expection and disguised success at the NCAA D1-A level? ph34r.gif

PS:  Any of you who think any UNT official or Board of Regent needs to read most or all of the aforementioned thoughts, you have my full permission rolleyes.gif  to email this to anyone affiliated with UNT.  I guarantee you some of them need to know that what they are doing in the dark is getting found out in the daylight among many NT Exes and Mean Green fans.  They can run, but they cannot hide from all of us. ohmy.gif

I appreciate your passion, but you need to put this on a blog somewhere and let us know when you have something new.

You can point your questions to:

"You may contact the other regents through Kay Miles, she is the assistant to the UNT System Chancellor, Lee Jackson. Her e-mail is kaymiles@unt.edu."

The above address provided to me from Ms. Brittany Adams, Student Regent.

PS:  Any of you who think any UNT official or Board of Regent needs to read most or all of the aforementioned thoughts, you have my full permission  to email this to anyone affiliated with UNT.  I guarantee you some of them need to know that what they are doing in the dark is getting found out in the daylight among many NT Exes and Mean Green fans.  They can run, but they cannot hide from all of us. 

PMG, I appreciate you passion, but why don't you ask these questions instead of giving permission for others to?

I hate being a "young" team.  It seems like an easy cop out for a coaching staff that can't develop talent.

Exactly...this argument is tired. How could we possibly recruit a young player (i.e quarterback) to run this team? I mean Justin Willis at SMU is a senior right? He's not got their QB situation under control.

No freshman or rs freshman make contributions on any other teams in 1A right?

You can point your questions to:

"You may contact the other regents through Kay Miles, she is the assistant to the UNT System Chancellor, Lee Jackson. Her  e-mail is kaymiles@unt.edu."

The above address provided to me from Ms. Brittany Adams, Student Regent.

PMG, I appreciate you passion, but why don't you ask these questions instead of giving permission for others to?

I called UNT's metro number days ago to get some addresses after I got wind of what could be developing right under our very noses and then I sent about 3 very well directed emails out the same day. Of course, they were sent with a message and content that had a completely different tone than any of these posts I've put on GMG.com. rolleyes.gif

Because too many of us have sat back for almost a quarter of a century and been led like sheep to the slaugher house, we are where we are today because of, uh, us? huh.gif I think there are truly more on this board who would prefer at Top 25 program over a Bottom 25 program and I would hope that all who feel that way will send out some emails to. YES..............(in deed).............WE ARE NORTH TEXAS AND WE DESERVE MORE THAN WHAT WE'VE BEEN GETTING. smile.gif

For you who will one day work out here in the DFW area (if you're not already) you know more than anyone why we of UNT need a higher profile football program.

We are the 4'th largest university in the entire state of Texas last I heard and its just damn time we start acting like it with the decisions being made and on the gridrion with the football being played.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I called UNT's metro number days ago after I got wind of what could be developing right under our very noses and then I sent about 3 very well directed emails out the same day. 

Care to elaborate in a short, concise, bullet point form?

I know, I know, asking PMG not to post a long drawn-out diatribe is like asking the roosters not to crow at dawn. wink.gif

IF SOME OF YOU RAN IN AN ANNUAL 110 METER RACE, WOULD YOU ALSO BE HAPPY COMING IN 4'TH PLACE EVERY YEAR WITH THAT ACCOMPLISHMENT, TOO?

Well, thats exactsly what we are getting with Mean Green football because of the level we're ranked nationally in NCAA D1-A at the end of each football season & pleeezzzzzz, shouldn't we really quit using a rag-tag grouping of schools just out of NCAA 1-AA known as the Sun Belt Conference as our barometer of success as a few of our leaders and coaches seem to have thrived "and survived" in doing which has bought them more time at UNT and kept us in the Bottom 25). wink.gif

UNTLifer, I put in those emails what I've posted on GMG.com but (for darn sure) worded the emails in such a way as a politician would write his constituency who wants to make a point and get a vote.

I would add that I hope there are many other emails, letters and/or phone calls coming from this board and others because our first step toward our thousand mile journey (and a Top 25 type football program) could very well come from the many of you who post on this board. If anyone chooses not to voice their concerns on this and let others do it for you, then we are probably a sunk ship with 25 more years of mostly an uneventful (& nationally very low ranked D1-A football program) ahead for us while we can just expect just more business as usual in Denton, Texas, America. NOTE: Come on people, just how much longer can we bask in the sunshine about a freakin' near miss win over a very mediocre UT Longhorn football team back in 1988 (and one whose performance against us probably cost David McWilliams his job)? blink.gif

So my fellow Americans, rolleyes.gif if we continually act as though we all adore this annual Bottom 25 co-existance, then this is just what we will have delivered to us and I think if some of you could just put down the green Kool-Aide down for a minute, you would also concur.

YET............if we are at such a level whereas we are having to convince people on GMG.com (and beyond) where having a Top 25, Top 50 or Top 75 type of intercollegiate football program is in our best interest, then we have just as deep of problems with some of our fans as we have with a handful of our football personnel who have had plenty of time to show us what level they will produce for our MG football program.

Others have been posting this of late, too, but why would anyone object to a better (& higher profile) Mean Green football program? What could possibly be their agendas that we just keep getting what we've been getting (that has garnered the respect of no one outside Denton and other SBC outposts).

One NT alum who has given much in the past told me very recently that it would not be our coaches who would (alone) keep MG football barefoot, pregnant and toward the bottom subterranean depths of NCAA D1-A; yet he said that it would probably be way too many of our own alums who have been sitting back and accepting just about anything dished down to us by our top leaders.

A possible problem with some of you is that you've let yourselves get way too close to some of our UNT Athletic staffers which has created a situation whereas you probably cannot see the trees for the forest with all this. sad.gif So you who I post about will (most likely) never be able to ever have an unbiased opinion on how you would judge the production (or lack thereof) of some of your UNT Athletic Department buddies and confidants.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen