DMN blurb Meagers future at NT clouded

OldTimer

Meagers future at UNT clouded

01:23 AM CST on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – The status of sophomore quarterback Daniel Meager is in doubt after the former Richardson Pearce standout suffered a concussion in a loss to Troy last week.

UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said Meager has had at least three concussions at UNT, including one in two-a-days that kept him out the first two weeks of the season.

Meager was also knocked out of the Mean Green's loss to Florida Atlantic last season with a concussion.

Meagers future at UNT clouded

01:23 AM CST on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – The status of sophomore quarterback Daniel Meager is in doubt after the former Richardson Pearce standout suffered a concussion in a loss to Troy last week.

UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said Meager has had at least three concussions at UNT, including one in two-a-days that kept him out the first two weeks of the season.

Meager was also knocked out of the Mean Green's loss to Florida Atlantic last season with a concussion.

Well, at least that explains why they put WW in the game. My primary concern is Meager's health. I wish him all the best and hope that he has a speedy recovery.

I give Daniel Meager my very best wishes. 3 concussions is alot. I hope that the doctors help him make the right decision about footbal (I don't know what that decision should be). BTW, I can't imagine how frustrated he is. He appeared to be on his way to a comeback return to the starting QB role after a summer of very hard work. What a strange season this has been.

Guest JohnDenver

I hope he hangs it up and takes his health with him.

Or at the very least, I hope he takes the 3rd QB spot and finishes his career at UNT. Get the free education and only play if he REALLY is needed. His future is bright and he needs to keep his health..

Post-Concussion Syndrome

People who have had concussions may experience physical, mental, or emotional symptoms.

Physical symptoms can include:

* headache

* sensitivity to noise or light

* dizziness

* fatigue or sleepiness

* inability to sleep

* nausea and/or vomiting

* double or blurred vision (Shepherd, 2004)

* ringing in the ears

* decreased sense of taste, smell, or hearing

* decreased libido (UCLA, 1999)

Emotional symptoms may include:

* irritability

* anxiety (Evans, 1992)

* restlessness (King, 2003)

* depression or lack of emotion (Merck, 2003)

* emotional lability or mood swings

Cognitive or mental symptoms can include:

* amnesia or difficulty remembering things

* confusion or impaired cognition (Evans, 1992)

* difficulty with abstract thinking (King, 2003)

* difficulty concentrating (UCLA, 1999)

I applaud Meager for obviously having thick skin and continuing to work to overcome numerous injuries, but concussions are not to be discounted. His health is much more important at this time. I wish him the best, because he appears to be a fine young man.

I like Daniel, but he and his family need to decide together if it is worth long-ter, negative effects on his health, especially when he has NO Division 1-A offensive lineman to play behind.