Hot offensive is the Offense?

GrandGreen

Should have been How not Hot.

Could this team be the worst NT offensive team in recent history (1970 to present)? Reviewing I was somewhat surprized that with an average production of 11 points a game;it is close but not quite there. Corky Nelson’s 1984 team only scored 86 points in 11 games. The 1984 team was 2-9 and the worst defeat was a 3-34 loss at TCU. Other horrible offensive years include DD’s 1999 team which averaged 10.7 ppg, Hayden Fry’s 1974 team at 12.1, Parker’s 1991 team at 12.5 and Bob Tyler’s one year 1981 at 10.0.

Interesting that although Bob Tyler was considered a disaster, his record of 2-9 does not look as bad as you might think with losses of 0-9 to Oklahoma State, 0-22 to Southern Miss, 0-20 to Auburn, 10-23 to Texas, 7-34 to SMU and 6-28 to Kentucky. 1974 was Fry’s second year at NT and he had his worst record 2-7-2. 1991 was Dennis Parker’s first year and NT went 3-7-1 and many wondered why Corky Nelson was fired after going 6-5 to hire Parker.

One discouraging factor is that the low offensive outputs came early in their NT careers for Corky, Dennis and Hayden and in Bob Tyler’s only year. DD in his ninth year may come in with the worse offensive output in the last 36 years of NT history with the exception of the 1984 team.

Just for comparison the current NT defense is giving up an average of 28 ppg, compared to the 1984 team of 19.1, 1974 of 22.5, 1981 of 21.3 and Parker’s 1991 team of 30 ppg.

Edited by GrandGreen

Should have been How not Hot.

Could this team be the worst NT offensive team in recent history (1970 to present)?  Reviewing I was somewhat surprized that with an average production of 11 points a game;it is close but not quite there.  Corky Nelson’s 1984 team only scored 86 points in 11 games.  The 1984 team was 2-9 and the worst defeat was a 3-34 loss at TCU.  Other horrible offensive years include DD’s 1999 team which averaged 10.7 ppg, Hayden Fry’s 1974 team at 12.1, Parker’s 1991 team at 12.5 and Bob Tyler’s one year 1981 at 10.0.

Interesting that although Bob Tyler was considered a disaster, his record of 2-9 does not look as bad as you might think with losses of 0-9 to Oklahoma State, 0-22 to Southern Miss, 0-20 to Auburn, 10-23 to Texas, 7-34 to SMU and 6-28 to Kentucky.  1974 was Fry’s second year at NT and he had his worst record 2-7-2.  1991 was Dennis Parker’s first year and NT went 3-7-1 and many wondered why Corky Nelson was fired after going 6-5 to hire Parker.

One discouraging factor is that the low offensive outputs came early in their NT careers for Corky, Dennis and Hayden and in Bob Tyler’s only year.  DD in his ninth year may come in with the worse offensive output in the last 36 years of NT history with the exception of the 1984 team. 

Just for comparison the current NT defense is giving up an average of 28 ppg, compared to the 1984 team of 19.1, 1974 of 22.5, 1981 of 21.3 and Parker’s 1991 team of 30 ppg.

Our offensive scoring numbers are inflated this year due to the anomaly against SMU and the 112 scoring opportunities against FIU. This team's offense is clearly the worst since the Bad News Bears minus McEnroe's wife and the juvenile delinquent. Too bad Buttermaker is not available.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think the backs and receivers aren't playing that bad when given a decent opportunity. The only think that is offensive is the OFFENSIVE line.

YGTBSM They may be bad but they have to wait their turn after the OFFENSIVE coaching. We'll never know how good the receivers could have been because we don't have many pass plays and none that are quick-hitters. If the play-calling wasn't offensive to you then you can take anything.

One discouraging factor is that the low offensive outputs came early in their NT careers for Corky, Dennis and Hayden and in Bob Tyler’s only year.  DD in his ninth year may come in with the worse offensive output in the last 36 years of NT history with the exception of the 1984 team. 

I'm not sure there is any way to find out or not but I doubt you will find any of the previous NT coaches who was here for x number of years or more whose offense averaged 114th nationally, or something to that fact.

I'd take Corky's worse season with his multi formation set offense over what we have been forced to live with the past 9 seasons, any day.

By the way, NT fired Corky after the season in which he too beat SMU.

Rick

I'm not sure there is any way to find out or not but I doubt you will find any of the previous NT coaches who was here for x number of years or more whose offense averaged 114th nationally, or something to that fact.

I'd take Corky's worse season with his multi formation set offense over what we have been forced to live with the past 9 seasons, any day.

By the way, NT fired Corky after the season in which he too beat SMU.

Rick

.....AND finished with a winning record (6-5).

.....AND finished with a winning record (6-5).

And missed the 1-AA playoffs because of a lost to Northeast Louisiana(now UL-Monroe at the endof the game.

And YES, you can still rush the field.