New Strategy For Our "Offense"

chrisfisher

I noticed that when our "offense" gets into the red zone, certain "things" inevitably happen: false starts, QB tripping over the center, QB/Center exchange problem, QB and RB running into each another, delay of game penalties, excessive time outs, missed assignments, QB sacks for unbelievable loses, dropped passes, runs that get negative yards, interceptions, etc., etc., etc. We figuratively and literally run backwards inside the red zone. Apparently, as DD and Kenny Evans often explain this, we are getting out coached.

Anyhow, my dad said to me, "Why don't y'all just kick a field goal as soon as you get inside the red zone?" I initially laughed, but then thought about it more. Damn, we could actually win some games doing this. My brother expanded with: "When you get inside the 20, just ram it up the middle again and again so your kicker doesn't have to deal with angles, and you never know you might gain some yardage too thus cutting down the length of the field goal."

Farging brilliant. Conservative football at its extreme. It ain't sexy but it could win some games. The sad thing is that this plan sounds seriously crazy, but could work due to our miserable ability to score touchdowns. Today we lost by 8 points, if we implemented this strategy and made 3 additional field goals in the red zone, we would have won. Hopovac is the key to our success for 2006!!

Edited by chrisfisher

Your too late on this. In case you didn't see the 7 Overtimes against FIU this is exactly what we did on every snap beginning at the 25 yard line. Setting up for the field goal. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, although I've said that many times watching this offense over the years. When I think of "conservative football at it's extreme" I think back on the '99 and '00 TCU games, the '02 Nichols State game etc. But for me that overtime period was the epitome of conservative football. Thinking back on it now I still can't believe what I saw?

Rick

I did see it and you are right.. we did do this! We'll, we won that game... maybe the FIU game is proof of this crazy idea. Someone needs to email this strategy to DD. At least we'll put up more points on the scoreboard than we usually do.... biggrin.gif

I noticed that when our "offense" gets into the red zone, certain "things" inevitably happen: false starts, QB tripping over the center, QB/Center exchange problem, QB and RB running into each another, delay of game penalties, excessive time outs, missed assignments, QB sacks for unbelievable loses, dropped passes, runs that get negative yards, interceptions, etc., etc., etc. We figuratively and literally run backwards inside the red zone.  Apparently, as DD and Kenny Evans often explain this, we are getting out coached.

Anyhow, my dad said to me, "Why don't y'all just kick a field goal as soon as you get inside the red zone?" I initially laughed, but then thought about it more. Damn, we could actually win some games doing this.  My brother expanded with: "When you get inside the 20, just ram it up the middle again and again so your kicker doesn't have to deal with angles, and you never know you might gain some yardage too thus cutting down the length of the field goal." 

Farging brilliant. Conservative football at its extreme. It ain't sexy but it could win some games. The sad thing is that this plan sounds seriously crazy, but could work due to our miserable ability to score touchdowns. Today we lost by 8 points, if we implemented this strategy and made 3 additional field goals in the red zone, we would have won.  Hopovac is the key to our success for 2006!!

This is a brillant post and as Rick said, it was implemented during the 7 overtimes we went through with FIU. I just read it to my dad and he got a good laugh out of it. Just think only this year and one more hopefully that we will have to watch this garbage.