GreyEagleOne Post - Re-visited

DeepGreen

Everyone should read GreyEagleOne's post, over and over. It sums up the feelings of many older alumni who have bled green for many years, including myself, a follower since 1964. Please read what he has to say.

"This season is my 59th following North Texas football and I've attended around 300 games but this year is my last unless there is a coaching change. I'm serious as a heart attack about this.

Call me disloyal if you like but I just can't stand to see the alma mater that I love sink to laughing-stock status among my friends and fellow alumni. It is not a second-rate university and I won't tolerate second-rate football teams anymore."

Edited by DeepGreen

Everyone should read GreyEagleOne's post, over and over.  It sums up the feelings of many older alumni who have bled green for many years, including myself, a follower since 1964.  Please read what he has to say.

"This season is my 59th following North Texas football and I've attended around 300 games but this year is my last unless there is a coaching change. I'm serious as a heart attack about this.

Call me disloyal if you like but I just can't stand to see the alma mater that I love sink to laughing-stock status among my friends and fellow alumni. It is not a second-rate university and I won't tolerate second-rate football teams anymore."

That was the most eye-opening post that I have ever read on this board.

IMHO, A 59 year alumni that has attended games regularly for that long, is probably better qualified to know the state of the football program more than anyone currently associated with it.

I hope someone that has control over the situation takes notice of this.

Unlike GreyEagleOne, I am regrettably one of the thousands of alumni that are waiting to see where this program is headed before I put my time and cash into this university. I follow the games each week, but only attend a game or so per year.

Why do I not attend the games ?

I don't attend the games because the view from the stands with the track is just awful. I also don't attend the games because year in and year out the product on the field is often just not entertaining.

I have been following the team for about 20 years since my graduation. In that time, there have been very few years that we have had an entertaining football team. I am not talking about pure wins and losses, but entertainment value. In a vast majority of the last 20 years the passing game and offense has just been awful. On occassion, the past teams have stayed competitive because of an overachieving defense.

I know that this team has had it's exciting moments. But, the majority of the years has been seriously lacking in entertainment value.

Do I expect to see a top-20 ranking and consistent bowl victories for this university ? Absolutely not.

However, I want to at least have some hope for the future before I invest in this university. I don't want to attend a game at Fouts and be seated an extra 20 yards or so from the field because of a track. I would LIKE to see a PUBLIC stated plan in place for taking the next steps (stadium, better conference). And, I would like to see a team that can at least provide enough entertainment to make an alumni want to attend the games.

I'm sorry, but losing 14-6 to Sun Belt teams is simply not entertaining for the average fan........fact.

Compared to most of you guys on this board, who put so much time and effort into supporting the football program, my opinion is not really worthy of much respect. However, there are probably thousands of alumni like me that are waiting to step up to the plate. If this football program is ever going to grow to a status that is worthy of a major 30,000+ student university, then the administration must do something more to get the thousands of alumni like myself more involved. We are waiting.

I hope to God that the new University president understands the importance of having a moderately successful athletic program. Athletics equal name recognition. For a majority of the public, name recognition is everything.

I feel that we are very fortunate to have RV working for us. He is the one real hope that I still have for the future. But, the football program needs a new identity. There is simply no reason anymore for North Texas to be out-recruited by schools like SMU or any other Sun Belt school. It seems like the last few years the recruiting has become worse and worse from a national perspective. Even the new Florida schools are gaining or passing our recruiting.

It's time for a change. Thank you Coach Dickey for the 4 bowl appearances, even though we were blown out of 3 of them. But, the football program is now headed in the wrong direction and in need of a complete overhaul from top-to-bottom.

Peace...

Edited by akriesman

Everyone should read GreyEagleOne's post, over and over.  It sums up the feelings of many older alumni who have bled green for many years, including myself, a follower since 1964.  Please read what he has to say.

Agree, DeepGreen...

UNT needs to very quickly move on to a bright new era that only new faces, new talent and fresh ideas will be able to give our alma mater IMO and FWIW............ my hat is off to the few, the bold & the brave of all of you who cared enough (many weeks ago for some and a few years ago for many of you) about whats been going on to let your voices be heard on this and other forums even when doing such was not always the popular thing to do among our all our peers.

And lets all keep a realistic perspective with all this and I am "NOT" talking at all about our football players to any degree at all on this subject but............no one is obligated to show loyalty to those who would lead us with continued poor performance and whose trends after more than a fair number of years on the UNT payroll to prove themselves; anyway, whose performances indicate little is really going to change for the better no matter how many extra years they might be givem.

IMHO, this would even be the case for anyone with their job if they are not getting any semblance of loyalty in return from those who would write their paychecks. Like one boss of mine who I respected very much said to me years ago:

"Loyalty is a 2-way street." ( (And I'll add that that particular boss certainly knew his part & role in such a 2-way street).

UNT has a decision (or 2 or 3) to make that any collegiate football novice would not have any problem making at all. Timing is everything right now at UNT. There is some recruiting that needs to be done (yesterday) and that (hopefully) being done here in the DFW Metroplex first of all and then out in the uttermost regions of Texas.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen