My Game Summary

NT03

Things Ill never understand.

DEF: Our corners continue to play 10yds off almost every down. Our Defense seems to forget after halftime how to tackle with both arms.

OFF : We run very few run plays to the outside. Def Line can get closer to our RB more times than before our QB does. We continue to throw the ball no more than 3yds deep to the sidelines. We can only show signs of life after our opponent has blown us out and goes soft or has their JV squad in.

Defenses have gotten the memo : play NT WR's tight , put 8 men in the box.... Game over b/c NT coaches have never heard the terms " adjust " or " off balance "

Coahing Staffs : Seems no matter who is our coach , I hardly ever see a great deal of emotion or interaction between the players and coaches. I see Evans is much like DD... folded arms or hands on the hip.. just looking like he's in a daze.

Every College game Ive ever watched.. oh say about 5000.. I see coaches yelling,coaching,teaching at players with some type of emotion. North Texas is the only school Ive ever seen coaches look like ( as my dad would say ) " lump on a log"!!!

I hope someone has seen something different and that there may be some hope , but my eye sight is still pretty good.

Coahing Staffs : Seems no matter who is our coach , I hardly ever see a great deal of emotion or interaction between the players and coaches. I see Evans is much like DD... folded arms or hands on the hip.. just looking like he's in a daze.

Every College game Ive ever watched.. oh say about 5000.. I see coaches yelling,coaching,teaching at players with some type of emotion. North Texas is the only school Ive ever seen coaches look like ( as my dad would say ) " lump on a log"!!!

I hope someone has seen something different and that there may be some hope , but my eye sight is still pretty good.

Make no mistake about it... this was all coach dickey tonight. He doesn't have to be there for them to run DD's game.

I've been screaming this as long as I can remember. We need a coach that takes losing personally and doesn't just shrug it off. We need a coach that truly bleeds green.

The reason we don't have a TD in the 1st Q of play is because we don't try to score.  We don't have a QB who can make plays or coaches who can recruit difference makers.  The coaches also don't have a clue about coaching offense.  mad.gif

Yep, on that drive in the first quarter we made no attempt to go for the touchdown. Third down and 5 and we were going to run a QB option before the play got flagged. 3rd and 10? We run the ball.

In the third when we had 3rd and 17? instead of trying to get about 8-12 yards and put us in field goal range to cut the lead to three, we heave it downfield and it gets picked off. But what is really stupid about that play was even though Meager chunked the ball downfield, another UNT receiver had run a pattern even FURTHER downfield. Worst passing game i have ever seen.....EVER.

But what is really stupid about that play was even though Meager chunked the ball downfield, another UNT receiver had run a pattern even FURTHER downfield.  Worst passing game i have ever seen.....EVER.

That was Brandon Jackson running all alone 10 yards behind their defense. By the time the pick is made he's actually cut his route off in the endzone and is headed back upfield trying to make the tackle.

I've had too many chances to watch that delayed handoff to SPJMo 4 yards deep in the backfield. It's a wonder that he had 100 yards rushing tonight, mostly being made on his own by having to somehow juke a man immediately after he's handed the ball. The announcer kept mentioning, "It's very difficult to run against the 8 man front". Don't we know?

This was the 7th game of the season and we had to call timeouts due to play clock mismanagement again and players not knowing what their assignments were. Several times people were asking DM what to do coming out of the huddle. This is nothing knew, we just don't have a dominating defense to cover up the ineptness on offense, anymore.

I did see a NEAR true crossing drag route, the one just prior to the TD to Collins, who by the way looked pretty good tonight. I only wished we would utilize him more, but then again we know how that is don't we?

With our 240 some odd yards of MIGHTY PRODUCTION tonight we will have raised the bar on our average on the season to 203 yards per game. But with Temple gaining over 316 yards on Northern Illinios our offense shall remain 119th nationally. blink.gif

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Did Woody even get into the game???

As pathetic as this game was, how could he not get any minutes?

Because Meager played about as well as that play calling would let him. He threw two excellent passes on crossing routes to Nwigwe. I didn't even think we had plays that wetn across the middle. Its weird that we will go back to the same running play over and over; but won't do that on plays to Nwigwe ovewr the middle or to our newfound tight end (Collins).

All year long I thought the defense was tired becuase the offense kept them on the field. Now I realize they are on the field because they don't make stops. Unfortunately this is a offense built from the outside in; which ain't how you do it.

Maybe someone will teach the center to not step on the quarterback; its makes playing that position even harder.

Best pass I have ever seen Meager make was that TD pass in the 2nd quarter. He stepped up in the pocket and threw the perfect pass to David Collins.

However, the moment he starts scrambling around, I just want to put my hands over my eyes and pray he somehow remembers to get rid of the ball. For practice, I'd like to see him throw the ball at the first down marker whenever he scrambles.

Who called that awful play on 4th and 1 in the 4th qaurter? I can think of a dozen other plays to run other then that one we did.

I vote that we run the 2-minute offense from here on out. That was the best I've seen our offense move all season albiet the SMU game in the 2nd half.

Quinn was out with an ankle injury, didn't suit up tonight.

Rick

Though I did see TMQ on the sidelines on TV w/North Texas sweatshirt.

I turned off the TV after ASU made it 10-29. What I saw before though, Meager played pretty well. He had some problems after the snap on 3 plays where he triped on the center. He only had only one INT before I turned off the TV.

JMO ran like the JMO we fell in love with 2 years ago. TV anouncers said DD and RV changed back to the old running scheme. It showed last night.

I think our D made asu's running back look ALOT better than he really is. Almost every time he ran up the middle, we'd try to tackle him up above the waist. Never did I see our LBs or DBs get their pads low....they were content to just attempt a wrap-up---which doesn't work well.

To me, that's the difference in this game. Our tackling is very poor.....VERY.

I think our D made asu's running back look ALOT better than he really is.  Almost every time he ran up the middle, we'd try to tackle him up above the waist.  Never did I see our LBs or DBs get their pads low....they were content to just attempt a wrap-up---which doesn't work well.

To me, that's the difference in this game.  Our tackling is very poor.....VERY.

Arnold and Wilkerson have done what they did to you guys against everyone we have played except OK. State. They are both good running backs. It takes a load to bring them down. Plus Arnold has a bad ankle. He has not played a full game in the two previous games and was limping last night. What is nice is you have 3 more years of those two if injury does not get in the way. biggrin.gif

Arnold and Wilkerson have done what they did to you guys against everyone we have played except OK. State.  They are both good running backs.  It takes a load to bring them down.  Plus Arnold has a bad ankle.  He has not played a full game in the two previous games and was limping last night.  What is nice is you have 3 more years of those two if injury does not get in the way. biggrin.gif

Whoopee doo. #2 runs high and our team tried to tackle him high. You guys might be world beaters and all (yeah right! laugh.gif ), but you sure can't get a good read on it by how we play these days. I long for the days of hearing the pads 'pop' at Fouts field. We don't have a player on this team who will lower their shoulders and drive through ball carriers.

Edited by TIgreen01

is it just me or is Jamario fully back? how many yards did he end up with?

I don't think Jamario was 100%. I believe after his first run, he came to the sidelines, and they were looking at his knee.....I've got a photo of it that I'll post later. I don't know what injury you are referring to but it appeared at that point, it was bothering him.

IMO, he did run well and is still one of the best backs in the SBC.