DRC "DD I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me"

OldTimer

Dickey: 'I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me'

UNT coach recovering well after heart attack

10:55 PM CDT on Monday, October 16, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Darrell Dickey said Monday he was feeling better than ever and expects to resume his duties as North Texas head coach in the next few weeks after suffering a heart attack at 2 a.m. on Friday.

Dickey, 46, had surgery to place a stent in one artery and correct overflow into another on Saturday. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Darrell Dickey

“There is no question that I will be back,” Dickey said. “I could go to practice today based on my energy level and not having any pain. … But I have had surgery on a major organ and need time to recover.

“The first 10 days to two weeks is critical. My heart is working its way back, so I am going to get a lot of rest.”

Dickey went to UNT’s offices on Sunday night to make a practice plan for the week and address his players and coaches. Assistant head coach Kenny Evans will take over Dickey’s duties as head coach during his absence.

“I told the team what happened and that I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me,” Dickey said. “The doctors were able to do something to fix what was wrong so I can go on coaching and doing what I enjoy.

“I could have went to sleep and never woken up.”

UNT’s players were relieved to see Dickey after learning that he suffered a heart attack at the end of their bye week.

“It’s really tough to hear about coach Dickey,” UNT junior linebacker Brandon Monroe said. “He has been through a lot, but he talked to us last night and seems to be doing better. We still realize we have to stay focused and get ready for our next game.”

UNT plays at Arkansas State at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

UNT offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan will handle the Mean Green’s offense and call the plays during Dickey’s absence. Flanigan typically consults with Dickey while calling plays.

Dickey said he would stay in constant contact with Evans, Flanigan and the rest of the Mean Green’s coaching staff, which will deliver film of practice to his home each night. Evans was on Dickey’s original staff at UNT and has the second-longest tenure with the Mean Green among the team’s current assistants.

“There is a reason Kenny has his title,” Dickey said. “If I am out of the office and something needs to be taken care of, he handles it. He has been with me since Day 1.”

Dickey will rely on Evans and the rest of his staff to prepare the Mean Green while he recovers from his heart attack.

“I felt some pain in my chest and went to sit up in the living room,” Dickey said. “I thought it might go away. I went back and laid down, but I was in serious pain and felt like something wasn’t right.”

Dickey was taken by ambulance to Denton Presbyterian Hospital, where he found out that he had 95 percent blockage in one of his arteries.

Dickey said his ability to breathe has improved dramatically since he underwent surgery to correct the latest in a series of health problems that have cropped up since last January. Dickey fell ill at the end of an official visit weekend Jan. 29 and had his gallbladder removed on Feb. 4. He was later diagnosed with diabetes.

Dickey has lost more than 30 pounds since changing his diet, increasing his exercise regiment and giving up smoking.

“If I stick with the changes I have made, my heart will be as good as new in a short period of time and I can expect a complete recovery,” Dickey said.

UNT’s coaches were pleased with the way the Mean Green have responded to what turned into a roller coaster ride of emotions over the last few days.

The Mean Green beat Florida International in seven overtimes on Oct. 7 and found out a little more than a week later that their head coach had a heart attack and would take time away from the team.

“Initially the kids were in shock,” Evans said. “The greatest thing coach Dickey did was talk to the team and put them at ease. He did it in a way that only he could by keeping things light and making a few jokes about his health. The kids could see that he is going to make a full recovery and is already on his way.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Dickey: 'I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me'

Dickey went to UNT’s offices on Sunday night to make a practice plan for the week and address his players and coaches.

“I told the team what happened and that I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me,” Dickey said. “The doctors were able to do something to fix what was wrong so I can go on coaching and doing what I enjoy.

Dickey said he would stay in constant contact with Evans, Flanigan and the rest of the Mean Green’s coaching staff, which will deliver film of practice to his home each night.

DD makes practice plans, addresses his coaches/players on Sunday AT SCHOOL, and has daily practice film delivered to his home (all this only 3 days after surgery). I'll never question his desire to win, regardless of our record. There is not doubt in my mind now that he genuinely puts his heart (literally) and soul into this. I really respect this, I just hope he isn't doing too much too soon.

Honestly do you really think that he didnt do this anyway ? I mean all coaches go over practice plans for the week and they watch film after every practice. I know some people on here trash him but they all put a ton of hours into it.

Did you just make that comment b/c he just had a heart atttack or were you suprised at him making practice plans and watching film ?

Honestly do you really think that he didnt do this anyway ?  I mean all coaches go over practice plans for the week and they watch film after every practice.  I know some people on here trash him but they all put a ton of hours into it.

Did you just make that comment b/c he just had a heart atttack or were you suprised at him making practice plans and watching film ?

No, I was not giving lip service. I was very surprised that DD was doing all of these activities 3 days after surgery. He should really be in bed doing nothing. Moreover, watching film at his house is stressful on his heart (believe me, I intensely study the role of cognition and its effect on the autonomic nervous system). I always known he wanted to win, but sometimes it is hard not to suspect otherwise from the stuff I read regarding our ugly loses in OOC play, recruiting, wanting to move to a bigger program, etc. There is zero doubt in my mind now that he is 120% committed to our team, even at the risk of his own health.

I have had a stroke followed by a heart attack, had a stent put in my heart and I can comment first -hand that he needs to turn things over completely to Evans until his doctors give him the okay. Thinking that one has to be involved daily during the recovering period, even if you think you feel okay, can be deceptive and the chances of a reoccurance are very high.

DD's life is more important than being up-to-date about a football game. Let others do it for now. It's hard to call plays when you're dead! Family comes first.

UNT offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan will handle the Mean Green’s offense and call the plays during Dickey’s absence. Flanigan typically consults with Dickey while calling plays.

This should be interesting. I doubt we'll see much change though. Who knows, maybe we'll do something crazy like run the flea flicker for our first offensive play of the game.