DMN: DD still in charge despite heart attack

OldTimer

North Texas coach plans to stay involved while recovering

02:11 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 17, 2006

By BRETT VITO / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – North Texas coach Darrell Dickey said Monday he was feeling better than ever and expects to return to coaching in the next few weeks after suffering a heart attack at 2 a.m. Friday.

"There is no question that I will be back," Dickey said. "I could go to practice today based on my energy level and not having any pain."

Dickey had 95 percent blockage in one of his arteries before undergoing a procedure to put a stent in his heart and correct overflow into another artery Saturday before he was released from Denton Presbyterian Hospital.

Dickey, 46, has suffered a series of health problems since January, including being diagnosed with diabetes and having his gallbladder removed. Those problems have prompted Dickey to make several lifestyle changes, including giving up smoking, changing his diet and changing his exercise routine.

"If I stick with the changes I have made, my heart will be as good as new in a short period of time, and I can expect a full recovery," Dickey said. "The first 10 days to two weeks are very critical. My heart is working its way back after surgery, so I am going to get a lot of rest."

Dickey went to his office Sunday night to make plans for practice this week and also addressed the team. Assistant head coach Kenny Evans will run the program until Dickey returns.

Dickey will have film of practice delivered to his home this week and will remain involved in the Mean Green's preparations for Saturday's game at Arkansas State.

"It's really tough to hear about coach Dickey," junior linebacker Brandon Monroe said. "He has been through a lot, but he talked to us last night and seems to be doing better. We still realize we have to stay focused and get ready for our next game."

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com