Dallas Morning News Article

Harry

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...de.2b84944.html

UNT's Dickey recovering from heart attack

09:32 PM CDT on Sunday, October 15, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – North Texas head football coach Darrell Dickey was resting comfortably at home Sunday after suffering a heart attack late Thursday night.

Dickey, 44, was taken by ambulance to Denton Presbyterian Hospital and had surgery before being released Saturday. He addressed the team Sunday night, but was not available for comment.

"I feel very fortunate to have such great support within my family and friends when a situation like this happens," Dickey said in a prepared statement. "This could have been a dire situation if not for my wife Tory and the tremendous response of the paramedics. The care that I received from the doctors and staff at Denton Presbyterian Hospital was outstanding and I owe a tremendous dept of gratitude to them."

Assistant head coach Kenny Evans will take over for Dickey in the interim. UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said there is no timetable for Dickey's return.

UNT had a bye Saturday and went through its last practice on Thursday before taking the weekend off.

Dickey, who is in his ninth season at UNT, has had a series of health problems since the end of last season.

Dickey was taken to the hospital on Jan. 29 after falling ill at the end of an official visit weekend for UNT recruits. Doctors removed Dickey's gallbladder a few days later.

Dickey was then diagnosed with diabetes. He lost more than 30 pounds during the off-season after changing his lifestyle to include a better diet and more exercise.

"Coach Dickey has had more than his share of struggles," Villarreal said. "In his other situation, he followed doctors' orders. He will do what is necessary to come back."

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com