Miami Herald's take on record-tying game

GreenBat

Extra effort eludes FIU

The Golden Panthers tied the game with two seconds left, then pushed North Texas to a record-tying seven overtimes.

BY KEVIN CASAS

Special to THe Miami Herald

DENTON, Texas - Riding a five-game losing streak, FIU needed its defense to step up once again to keep from losing a close game. This time, the story didn't change.

In an a wild, NCAA-record-tying game, North Texas' Denis Hopovac kicked a 34-yard field goal in the seventh overtime extending the Golden Panthers' misery in a sixth straight loss.

MORE

Extra effort eludes FIU

The Golden Panthers tied the game with two seconds left, then pushed North Texas to a record-tying seven overtimes.

BY KEVIN CASAS

Special to THe Miami Herald

DENTON, Texas - Riding a five-game losing streak, FIU needed its defense to step up once again to keep from losing a close game. This time, the story didn't change.

In an a wild, NCAA-record-tying game, North Texas' Denis Hopovac kicked a 34-yard field goal in the seventh overtime extending the Golden Panthers' misery in a sixth straight loss.

MORE

user posted image

Maybe I shouldn't, but I really feel bad for the FIU guys. I mean, I'm glad we won the game, but 7 OTs and still a big goose egg in the win column for FIU. They've had some other really close losses too:

7-6 loss to MTSU

21-20 loss to S. Florida

33-28 loss to Bowling Green

14-10 loss to Marlyand

I wish they could have pulled out wins in the S. Florida and Maryland games.

user posted image

Maybe I shouldn't, but I really feel bad for the FIU guys.  I mean, I'm glad we won the game, but 7 OTs and still a big goose egg in the win column for FIU.  They've had some other really close losses too:

7-6 loss to MTSU

21-20 loss to S. Florida

33-28 loss to Bowling Green

14-10 loss to Marlyand

I wish they could have pulled out wins in the S. Florida and Maryland games.

You have to feel for them. Both teams gave their all for the game and its one of those games where you hate to see anyone lose.....by the way.....I'm talking about their effort, not necessarily their execution or great play.

When I finally got over to him I kneeled down to Mr. Bostic there and told him to pick his head up, that he had nothing to be ashamed of and that they left it all on the field and did their university proud by fighting as hard as they did.

People forget that the Golden Panthers are only in their 5th season, ever in which they have now lost 5 of their 6 games by a total of 14 points.

Thinking back on the game I have to wonder what in hell Don Strock was thinking about when his team got down to our 1 foot line and then tried to run right at Sky Pruitt three straight times for nothing? For a guy who led the nation in passing one year while at Virginia Tech and had over 6,000 carreer yards there and then had over 5,000 yards passing mostly while a backup during a 17 year pro carreer, he called a fairly conservative game in the overtime period, although the play that got them to the 1 foot line was a beautiful crossing route behind our LB's. So in the very least we know one person wasn't using every down during OT to set up the field goal?

Rick

"When I finally got over to him I kneeled down to Mr. Bostic there and told him to pick his head up, that he had nothing to be ashamed of and that they left it all on the field and did their university proud by fighting as hard as they did.

People forget that the Golden Panthers are only in their 5th season, ever in which they have now lost 5 of their 6 games by a total of 14 points. "

Thanks for your kind words, FF Rick. I'm sure our players really appreciate those type of words at the moment, even if they didn't react accordingly at the time. I sure appreciate your kind words, as it shows true sportsmanship, and human nature. Both teams (especially defense units) left it all over there, and someone had to win, and to lose. Congrats on your win, and again, thanks for your kind words to our players.....