The best version of the National Anthem

greenjoe

No, I was hoping someone would say it is the unofficial fight song of UNT. Because if it this then that is sad.

Feed the babies

Who don't have enough to eat

Shoe the children

With no shoes on their feet

House the people

Livin' in the street

Oh, oh, there's a solution

ARE YOU PUMPED?!?!??!?! YEEHAW!!! Wow, nevermind what I said! Fly Like an Eagle is an awesome unofficial fight song!!  laugh.gif

Do these words pump you up?

Rocky Top Lyrics

Wish that I was on ole Rocky Top

Down in the Tennessee Hills.

Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top,

Ain't no telephone bills.

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,

Half bear the other half cat;

Wild as a mink as sweet as soda pop,

I still dream about that.

CHORUS

Rocky Top, you'll always be,

Home sweet home to me.

Good ole Rocky Top,

Rocky Top Tennessee.

Once two strangers climbed ole Rocky Top,

Lookin' for a moonshine still.

Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top,

Reckon they never will.

Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top,

Dirt's too rocky by far.

That's why all the folks on Rocky Top,

get their corn from a jar.

CHORUS

I've had years of cramped up city life;

Trapped like a duck in a pen.

All I know is it's a pity life,

Can't be simple again.

CHORUS

Do these words pump you up?

Rocky Top Lyrics

Wish that I was on ole Rocky Top

Down in the Tennessee Hills.

Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top,

Ain't no telephone bills.

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,

Half bear the other half cat;

Wild as a mink as sweet as soda pop,

I still dream about that.

CHORUS

Rocky Top, you'll always be,

Home sweet home to me.

Good ole Rocky Top,

Rocky Top Tennessee.

Once two strangers climbed ole Rocky Top,

Lookin' for a moonshine still.

Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top,

Reckon they never will.

Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top,

Dirt's too rocky by far.

That's why all the folks on Rocky Top,

get their corn from a jar.

CHORUS

I've had years of cramped up city life;

Trapped like a duck in a pen.

All I know is it's a pity life,

Can't be simple again.

CHORUS

If I were from Tennessee, then heck yeah. Plus it is upbeat and actually fight song-esque sounding. Does "Texas, Our Texas" stir any emotions in you?

Are you really trying to equate the significance of "Rocky Top" to the state and university of Tennesee to that of "Fly Like an Eagle" for UNT?

If I were from Tennessee, then heck yeah. Plus it is upbeat and actually fight song-esque sounding. Does "Texas, Our Texas" stir any emotions in you?

Are you really trying to equate the significance of "Rocky Top" to the state and university of Tennesee to that of "Fly Like an Eagle" for UNT?

No, I'm just making a point that relevant/good lyrics have nothing to do with the songs meaning at the game. If we sang the song, then the lyrics matter.

No, I'm just making a point that relevant/good lyrics have nothing to do with the songs meaning at the game.  If we sang the song, then the lyrics matter.

I would say the lyrics to "Rocky Top" matter and add to its meaning to Tennessee fans. Or else it wouldn't be the state song of Tennessee. But lyrics aside, "Rocky Top" is a catchy song that is upbeat and sounds like a fight song. "Fly Like an Eagle" makes me want to jab a soldering iron into my ears after the fifth time I've heard it that day and it's still the first quarter of the game. And that is the last I have to say on the ridiculous comparsion of "Rocky Top" and "Fly Like an Eagle".

Well, if Fly Like an Eagle being played 40 times a game is a tradition, then I'd like to crap on it.

Most annoying song ever. I don't think I'd mind it if it were played 1-2 times a game. It sounds bush league to play it so much. And, as much as I love/support the school/team and some of the traditions, I will admit that I don't particularly care for our fight song either.

Sorry if I am hurting your feelings by saying that Rick.

I just feel that we could do better being a music school, and that sometimes change is a good thing, especially if it is something that works.

Play "Rocky Top" with a "om pa pa " beat and see how you like it.

The purpose of a fight song, official or unofficial, is to excite the fans and the team. The "om pa pa" version makes me feel like the Green Bragade is making fun of the Fight Song. I'm sure they're not, but that's my impression.

Our fight song is great. We have an original fight song when so many school have she will be comming around the mountain fight songs. I love our fight song and spent time as a music major at NT and was a member of the green brigade in 79 and 80.

Variations on a theme are popular all over the world and will always be. I agree with Joe when we are in the heat of a battle use the original FIGHT song. If we are on our way to a win let the fun begain.

Go Mean Green,

Here's a few others that other schools play at every game. Some of which, are a distinct beating. "Fly Like an Eagle" isn't out of line compared to some of these.

"March Grandioso" is a cliche now. (Although it's still awesome.) How many versions of "Wabash Cannonball" does there need to be??

Iowa State - Throwdown

Kansas State - Wabash Cannonball

Missouri - Tiger Rag

Nebraska - March Grandioso

Oklahoma - Fanfare and Oklahoma!

Texas - Mickey Mouse Salute (WTF?)

Texas - March Grandioso

Texas - Wabash Cannonball

Texas A&M - Patton

Texas A&M - Ballad Of The Green Berets

Texas A&M - When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Texas Tech - March Grandioso

Play "Rocky Top" with a "om pa pa " beat and see how you like it.

The purpose of a fight song, official or unofficial, is to excite the fans and the team.  The "om pa pa" version makes me feel like the Green Bragade is making fun of the Fight Song.  I'm sure they're not, but that's my impression.

Couldn't agree more.

I did get tired of playing Fly Like an Eagle when I was in the Green Brigade, but if it gets the team pumped up, then I am all for it!

I have a sneaking suspicion that "Fly Like an Eagle" doesn't get the football team pumped up. Unless they are pumped about time slipping into the future and the game being over with.