Crowd Noise

The SEC is by far the loudest.  I am watched my Hogs win today at Auburn, then have been flipping back and forth between the OU/UT game, and the Florida/LSU game and they are night and day in crowd noise.

Apples and oranges. OU/UT is in a 60k stadium with 50/50 representation. Auburn and The Swamp are packed to the gills with the home fans. Compare a Vanderbilt home game to a home game at Kyle Field or the Big House, different story. I do agree that there are rowdier venues in the SEC (The Swamp, Death Valley, and Neyland come to mind), but most of it depends on the game.

The Cotton Bowl seats over 70K.

Overall I think the SEC does have the loudest fans(not just your Auburn's or LSU's...but even in Mississippi State with their cowbells or South Carolina where they are rabid even though they almost never have winning teams), but there are hostile environments in ALL the conferences.

The difference is that every SEC school is in rabid football country.

Ole Miss is 2 hours from Jackson and 1 hour from Memphis. There aren't any hotels, and Ole Miss doesn't really "relate" to the rest of the state. But last year they averaged 55,000 fans in a 3-8 year.

The problem with the Big XII is that a lot of the North teams aren't as die-hard football fans. You just don't get the atmosphere up there that you do at SEC schools, even those that aren't necessarily good on the gridiron.