Rewatching the game

Cr1028

I'm busy watching the game again. I recorded it so I could rewatch it for fun but now I'm just doing it for analysis. I'm up to just about halftime and can see some definite adjustments that need to be made.

First off, defensively, our 'backers have no business in pass coverage, they are ineffective at best and would be better off just blitzing and pressuring the quarterback. Also, Sky Pruitt is playing like a beast so far.

Second, offensively, the O-line has no explosiveness off the ball. You cannot run block without firing out of the hole. They stand up as if the are going to pass block and then meet them at the line of scrimmage. If you are going to be a power running team you have to ATTACK the defense. So ATTENTION O-LINE: DO NOT STAND UP STRAIGHT AND PASS BLOCK ON RUNNING PLAYS. Also, Lineberry is WAY too slow to pull and lead Jamario, that just ain't happenin.

How about some analysis on my 3 1/2 somersault tuck off the back of the student side stands after MTSU went up 21-0?

Man some of you guys make me laugh out loud....so funny. I should sit next to you during the games so that I would laugh the whole time at the sarcasim and not allow the game to tick me off so much.

Man some of you guys make me laugh out loud....so funny.  I should sit next to you during the games so that I would laugh the whole time at the sarcasim and not allow the game to tick me off so much.

haha, I was telling my buddy how nice it would be if they allowed beer in the stadium, it sure would've calmed my nerves

haha, I was telling my buddy how nice it would be if they allowed beer in the stadium, it sure would've calmed my nerves

It sure would raise attendance numbers in a hurry. And, it would be a great extra source of income. Although, it would thoroughly confuse the crap out of Flanagan when he can't figure out how to break a plastic Bud Light bottle over the fans' heads.

It sure would raise attendance numbers in a hurry.  And, it would be a great extra source of income.  Although, it would thoroughly confuse the crap out of Flanagan when he can't figure out how to break a plastic Bud Light bottle over the fans' heads.

HAHA, now thats funny, I don't care who ya are.

That is a pretty good idea. Maybe RF will grab a couple of beers during his next excursion into the stands to fight fans and will loosen up his playcalling a little bit. Heck, I would buy him one. Maybe the Wings could get him to bong one or two?

It sure would raise attendance numbers in a hurry.  And, it would be a great extra source of income.  Although, it would thoroughly confuse the crap out of Flanagan when he can't figure out how to break a plastic Bud Light bottle over the fans' heads.

That may of been the funniest post I've ever read.

What really saddened me was Jamario's lack of confidence while running. He just looks frustrated out there and isn't hitting the line of scrimmage like he's capable of. The poor O-line play is without a doubt the reason for this. You could see MTSU's Gross punishing tacklers and hitting the line of Scrimmage with authority.

We're wasting a helluva talent here, folks. I feel so bad for Jamario.

sad.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

After two days to calm down, I'd like to say that the game came down to the offensive line. Period.

Jamario had four or five holes all night. You all noticed when those occured, because he tore off like 10 yards a play. I can't lay any blame on him, because whenever he had a sliver of daylight, and did not have to dodge three guys at the line of scrimmage, he looked exactly like the Jamario of old.

Pass protection was atrocious. The blindside protection failed early, allowing Woody to get blindsided, fumbling the football and killing all of our momentum for the rest of the game. Guys, it was so bad, they were rushing three on six blockers, and Woody didn't even have time to come out of a five step drop before getting sacked on the goal line. If you can't protect your quarterback for a second and a half with every single pass rusher double teamed, you have failed. Then, whenever Woody had time to throw, he got rattled, feeling pressure that wasn't there and let go too early. Both times he did this resulted in high wobbly passes into double coverage. Two bad throws, two bad interceptions.

I don't know what is going on with the line, but when there are no lanes for your running back to hit and no time for your QB to throw, you are going to fail miserably. I'd blame the playcalling, but I couldn't even tell what plays were being run, they ended so quickly.

Someone besides Dylan Lineberry's gotta wake up and play, or this is going to be a long, long, long season.

It's already a "long, long, long season." The OL is swatting at flies. The DL is not much better. There doesn't seem to be a plan in effect. The coaches weren't anywhere near DD as I could see. Maybe they are outside calling their agents!

The play selection wasn't bad. We just looked like we hadn't practiced them enough. After awhile the players appeared to be hanging their heads. That's a sure sign that they don't feel comfortable with what they're doing.

Offer DD another position at the school and give the OC an option of quiting or hitting himself over the head with a plastic soda bottle on the field at halftime. I've done some coaching when I was younger and can tell you or kids are not well coached. Is there anything more to say?

After two days to calm down, I'd like to say that the game came down to the offensive line.  Period.

Pass protection was atrocious.  The blindside protection failed early, allowing Woody to get blindsided, fumbling the football and killing all of our momentum for the rest of the game. 

Illuvius32 on this play they blitz a safety and a corner the play was the quick slant to the side that the blitz was coming from. Woody missed the read. Look at the replay and you will see the receiver on that side looking for the ball just after the snap the line blocking had nothing to do with that play.

The play just before the one above the line did an excellent job and Woody stepped up into the pocket and just ran for a 2 yard loss. I can not see how the coverage was down field but he would have had some time.

Someone besides Dylan Lineberry's gotta wake up and play, or this is going to be a long, long, long season.

I think Dylan is the only one playing worth a damn. I felt sick to my stomach on the 1st series of the 2nd half where Woody was sacked twice. The last sack on 3rd down when Alexander was bull rushed and driven back into the QB sums up the OLine play perfectly this year.

I think Dylan is the only one playing worth a damn. I felt sick to my stomach on the 1st series of the 2nd half where Woody was sacked twice. The last sack on 3rd down when Alexander was bull rushed and driven back into the QB sums up the OLine play perfectly this year.

The first time WW was sacked, as you put it, was a zone read and the TE released his man the Line had nothing to do with that. The sack on the third play was Joel Foster's man he came from behind.

The first time WW was sacked, as you put it, was a zone read and the TE released his man the Line had nothing to do with that. The sack on the third play was Joel Foster's man he came from behind.

My bad, you were absolutely correct. It was Joel Foster who was bull rushed into the back of the QB.

Illuvius32 on this play they blitz a safety and a corner the play was the quick slant to the side that the blitz was coming from. Woody missed the read. Look at the replay and you will see the receiver on that side looking for the ball just after the snap the line blocking had nothing to do with that play.

The play just before the one above the line did an excellent job and Woody stepped up into the pocket and just ran for a 2 yard loss. I can not see how the coverage was down field but he would have had some time.

Yeah... there was a blitz to that side. Now YOU go back and watch what the left tackle Joel Foster does. He completely misses the linebacker that walks down on the blitz. Not only does he miss his guy, but he actually can't seem to find anyone to block, so he moves to his right to find someone else. The guy who hit Woody was Foster's responsibility.

That is a breakdown in pass protection, and has nothing to do with the quarterback.

I'm busy watching the game again. I recorded it so I could rewatch it for fun but now I'm just doing it for analysis. I'm up to just about halftime and can see some definite adjustments that need to be made.

First off, defensively, our 'backers have no business in pass coverage, they are ineffective at best and would be better off just blitzing and pressuring the quarterback. Also, Sky Pruitt is playing like a beast so far.

Second, offensively, the O-line has no explosiveness off the ball. You cannot run block without firing out of the hole. They stand up as if the are going to pass block and then meet them at the line of scrimmage. If you are going to be a power running team you have to ATTACK the defense. So ATTENTION O-LINE: DO NOT STAND UP STRAIGHT AND PASS BLOCK ON RUNNING PLAYS. Also, Lineberry is WAY too slow to pull and lead Jamario, that just ain't happenin.

Again? did he say...watching it again? He IS the man fan! Guess it is a good reason to drink even more beer, watching it again..... hope the outcome is different! Is it one of those interactive replays where you can choose ending 1, 2 or 3? Can you choose "more blocking" or "more tackling' as a replay enhancement?

Yeah... there was a blitz to that side.  Now YOU go back and watch what the left tackle Joel Foster does.  He completely misses the linebacker that walks down on the blitz.  Not only does he miss his guy, but he actually can't seem to find anyone to block, so he moves to his right to find someone else.  The guy who hit Woody was Foster's responsibility.

That is a breakdown in pass protection, and has nothing to do with the quarterback.

Now I can see that you have learned very little watching all those practices. Joel's man rolls to stunt to the inside. The first man would then become JaMo's and the second is WW. This play should have checked to be a quick slant to the WR. Joel did not block well but this one was not his. Remember all blocking assignments start from the inside and count out.

Again?  did he say...watching it again?  He IS the man fan! Guess it is a good reason to drink even more beer, watching it again.....  hope the outcome is different!  Is it one of those interactive replays where you can choose ending 1, 2 or 3? Can you choose "more blocking" or "more tackling' as a replay enhancement?

I sure wish it had those answers. I just had to rewatch it to give myself some answers.

I sure wish it had those answers. I just had to rewatch it to give myself some answers.

You walked out of the stadium saturday night thinking to yourself "there is no way that game was as bad as I think was" so you had to go home and watch it again? Did you find it to be as bad, or worse than the first time you saw it?

You walked out of the stadium saturday night thinking to yourself "there is no way that game was as bad as I think was" so you had to go home and watch it again?  Did you find it to be as bad, or worse than the first time you saw it?

Yea, it was pretty bad. I just didn't realize how bad the O-line really is until I rewatched it. I also saw that they have zero respect for any eligible receiver(including tight ends) we have outside of Quinn and Nwigwe. You see the other guys open time and again but we never throw it their way so the D doubles up Quinn and Joel and then stack the line for J-Mo.