Dickey’s health

El Paso Eagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

I can't speak to his gall bladder problem but diabetes is much slower acting. I've had it for about ten years now and I'm much older than Dickey. It is life-threatening if left unchecked but with proper medication, diet and exercise you can live a normal life. Oh, there will be days when you have to save up energy to blow your nose but you just do it. The more physical and mental exercise that you get, the better you can cope with your disease.

In my opinion, the demise of this team spreads to every aspect of the coaches' jobs.

Recruiting has fallen way off. We had a couple of very good classes but those are now gone. Instead of getting out and going head to head with the rest of the 1-A schools, we wait and try to get the best of what's left. We have found some jewels that way but not enough to improve the program.

With the possible exception of Bleil, I question the teaching ability of this staff. Poor execution falls right back into the lap of the coaches.

Another job of the coaches, and especially the head coach is to motivate. Put fire in their eyes. Have them ready to run through a wall to achieve their goal. Don't downplay your facilities or bad mouth the fans. Don't make them feel as if they're second class players. Tell them we may get beaten at times but our opponents had better bring their lunch because it's going to be an all-day job and mean it. I don't know that I've seen a less motivated team than last night.

Lastly, have a smart game plan. Use your strengths but also attack their weaknesses. Don't be predictable. Use all of your weapons: anyone remember a pass to the tight end lately? Adjust after each series, if necessary. If it's not working at least try to do something to fix it.

OK, I'm off of the soap box now. No more rantings and ravings about this coaching staff. At one time I thought that the coaching staff would get it but they seem to fall right back into the same old groove. About the only way that this season is salvagable is to win out and what would be the odds on that? It would also mean that Middle would have to lose twice for us to go to New Orleans.

I don't think Dickey looked unhealthy during that halftime interview. Dramatic weight loss, as he experienced over the last year before he was diagnosed with diabetes, was a startling change. If he's getting treatment and taking care of himself, he'll probably look healthier in a year than he did when he was carrying all those extra pounds.

I don't think Dickey looked unhealthy during that halftime interview. Dramatic weight loss, as he experienced over the last year before he was diagnosed with diabetes, was a startling change. If he's getting treatment and taking care of himself, he'll probably look healthier in a year than he did when he was carrying all those extra pounds.

He walked right by me at the Mean Green March. He did not look unhealthy, just unmotivated. He looked like he didn't care what the outcome of the game was going to be, one way or the other.

DD is just picking up a paycheck. Please reassign him to a job where he can't do any more damage to the football program.