FW*Telegram NT ranks 119 out of 119 1A teams

OldTimer

UNT not receiving any return

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON - If ranking dead last in the nation in a particular statistic doesn't get a coach's attention, then nothing does.

By Tuesday, North Texas coach Darrell Dickey was aware of this dubious distinction: The Mean Green's kickoff-coverage unit this week ranked 119th out of 119 teams in Division I with 38.4 yards allowed per return.

Dickey made it clear Tuesday that he's fed up with UNT's kickoff coverage and return teams, as well as some aspects of both punt teams. UNT's special teams are not special right now.

"With the amount of time we spend on special teams, we should win the overall special-teams battle every game," said Dickey, whose team opens Sun Belt Conference play at home Saturday against Middle Tennessee.

Solid place-kicking, punting and two blocked punts by freshman Evan Robertson have helped win some field position, but Saturday's 33-13 loss at Akron included some of the ugliest return coverage Dickey can remember.

On two kickoff returns, Akron averaged 78.5 yards. Dickey said more starters or top backups should expect added coverage or blocking duties on special teams. Those who play had better make the effort and study of special teams a priority, or...

"I'm not going to choke anybody yet, but they can stay home or sit in the stands," Dickey said.

"If we ask them to do something and they do it to the best of their ability, and it's important to them, then coach Dickey will take full responsibility for any of our failures."

UNT ranks 114th in yards gained per kickoff return (15.1), but main returner Zach Muzzy is paying a brutal physical price despite returns of 27, 21 and 20 yards this season. Teams are kicking away from Robertson, whom Dickey wants to see get more work in games.

Robertson had a 24-yard return against Akron after "we probably couldn't get the ice bags off Muzzy fast enough [for the next kick]," Dickey joked.

"We're trying to get our situation straight, and the guys blocking for me are trying to do their best," Muzzy said. "You see [a hole] right when you catch it, and we're not staying on the blocks quite long enough to get through the hole. We'll get it fixed."

Robertson, who weighs just 165 pounds, said he's yet to take any real punishment, but "the holes close quicker in college football than in high school." He might face a tougher task now because this week he's also been added to the kickoff coverage team.

"Evan gave us one of our longest returns and did it pretty much by himself," Dickey said. "Some of [Akron's] guys weren't able to tackle him, because they were too busy running over our other players. Maybe that's the way to block them; just to let them run over you.

"If my tone of voice isn't good, I'm not real happy with those two areas [on kickoffs]."

UNT's coverage and return teams now include front-line players such as Aaron Weathers, Steve Warren, Tobe Nwigwe, Cliff Higgs, and Maurice Holman. In recent seasons, prominent starters on special teams included team leaers such as Patrick Cobbs, Ja'Quay Wilburn, Brad Kassell and Don McGee.

"If we tried to take Kassell off a special team, he wanted to fight every coach," Dickey said.

"Those guys know how important those positions were. I don't know if some of our guys understand how much of an impact special teams can have on a game."

ONLINE: meangreensports.com

NORTH TEXAS VS. MIDDLE TENNESSEE, 6 P.M. SATURDAY, KFWD/CH. 52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

If ranking dead last in the nation in a particular statistic doesn't get a coach's attention, then nothing does.

Well, then not much is going to get the coaches attention. He is going to do things his way and to hell with anyone who doesn't like that. If being last or close to last in D1-A football in statistical categories had any effect on Dickey, we would probably see much different coaching philosphies. But if we know one thing, it's that Dickey doesn't change his style, no way no how. Well, except if it's a game he knows he has to win.

Here are some other statistical categories that UNT is performing abysmallly in:

Scoring offense - ranked 109

Offensive YPG - ranked 117

3rd down conv % - ranked 96

1st downs PG - ranked 116

pass attempts PG - ranked 109

Yards Per Rush(at 2.8) - ranked 101

Scoring defense - ranked 115

Defensive YPG - ranked 77

Opponent Comp%(65.5%) - ranked 105

Passing TDs against - ranked 111

total punts - tied for 25th most

penalites - tied for 23rd most

These shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has seen or listened to us play this season. Stats like those get our attention, now let's see if they get the attention of the coaches.

"Evan gave us one of our longest returns and did it pretty much by himself," Dickey said. "Some of [Akron's] guys weren't able to tackle him, because they were too busy running over our other players. Maybe that's the way to block them; just to let them run over you.

Now that's funny.

I think we need to increase the saleries of our coaches. Once that is done, we will see some winnng football. not! WE HAVE A SOFT HEAD COACH!

We have good football players on this team and I blame the coaches for not lighting a fire in the belly of each player to maximize thier production on the football field.

I read somewhere that we are stuck with DD for serveral years so. . . I will keep on going to all home games and supporting my Mean Green!

Dickey made it clear Tuesday that he's fed up with UNT's kickoff coverage and return teams, as well as some aspects of both punt teams. UNT's special teams are not special right now.

"With the amount of time we spend on special teams, we should win the overall special-teams battle every game," said Dickey, whose team opens Sun Belt Conference play at home Saturday against Middle Tennessee.

"I'm not going to choke anybody yet, but they can stay home or sit in the stands," Dickey said.

"If my tone of voice isn't good, I'm not real happy with those two areas [on kickoffs]."

"Those guys know how important those positions were. I don't know if some of our guys understand how much of an impact special teams can have on a game."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

This kind of stuff gives me hope that we have a bright future. (meaning the coach realizes changes need to be made and someone needs an asswhooping)

Edited by Cr1028