Back From Akron

Cowtown

1) going to the Rubber Bowl is like going to the county fair. You park in a big grassy field and hike in. Since there was only one parking area, most everyone has to park way out in the boonies and there is very little tailgating.

2) sitelines in the Rubber Bowl are great, we were so close to the action I felt like I was standing on the sidelines of an intramural football game.

3) Akron folks are friendly, but most students didn't know there was a game (I went to campus and asked a girl where the rubberbowl was, she pointed me up the street to a practice field, drove around and went into a convenience store, they had no idea where it was, found frat house, and none of them could even tell me where the Rubber Bowl was)

4) They had HS band day, there were 5 or 6 HS bands and all their parents, rocking out the whole game. Infact the Akron band played the entire game, there was always a drum beat or something going on. The game atmosphere was great.

5) Akron has serious attendance issues, even with the bands and a team having a big win over NC State, they had just over 16k.

6) The difference in the game was they took advantage of the gifts early in the game and we didn't take advantage of the gifts late.

7) The D left it all on the field and got stronger as the game went on. I swear Sky Pruitt willed his way into about every play in the 4th. I am telling you I was so proud of the way they played. They never gave up. I think we are in for a show this weekend.

8) Akron has a really good QB and a lot of team speed, the likes of which I dont think we will see the rest of the year.

9) Akron is a pretty cool town, but most of the rest of north eastern Ohio kind of feels like a 70's strip mall with constant wind and overcast sky's. I bet the winters there are awful.

10) It was great to see Scrappy and the cheerleaders there. Glad they made the trip.

11) They actually have Shiner in Ohio.

12) They had a handful of hot girls, but overall not so much...it is good to be home.

7) The D left it all on the field and got stronger as the game went on. I swear Sky Pruitt willed his way into about every play in the 4th. I am telling you I was so proud of the way they played. They never gave up. I think we are in for a show this weekend.

I'm glad to hear that. That's the kind of thing you can't always get from a radio broadcast, even by the great Hank & Jub. Not that I was able to listen - I was at a wedding.

9) Akron is a pretty cool town, but most of the rest of north eastern Ohio kind of feels like a 70's strip mall with constant wind and overcast sky's.

I've been to Ohio once - Canton - and that was the same impression I got. Lots of nice trees and hills though.

3) Akron folks are friendly, but most students didn't know there was a game (I went to campus and asked a girl where the rubberbowl was, she pointed me up the street to a practice field, drove around and went into a convenience store, they had no idea where it was, found frat house, and none of them could even tell me where the Rubber Bowl was)

Thats because they are all Ohio State fans. Most Akron sports fans was in Columbus watching Ohio State and Penn State. This is true with most MAC fans. Here's another example.

FlashFan

All-American

Medals: None

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006 09:48 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote Report Post

That's axeme. Taking one for the team.

I'll b checking the score from Notre Dame Stadium.

This is the way with most ppl that go to MAC schools on Sat they are usually in Columbus, South Bend, West Lafayette or Ann Arbor

5) Akron has serious attendance issues, even with the bands and a team having a big win over NC State, they had just over 16k.

You must have not went on Can'o'Corn night. Seriously they pick out 2 games a year and have Can'o'Corn night. You bring a Can'o'Corn you get in the game for a quarter. Here is a picture of Can'oCorn Night.

user posted image

Actually, that might not be a bad promotion for the November game. Bring a can of green beans or other non-perishable to be donated to shelters or something for Thanksgiving. It's a great community outreach idea, and it would probably generate some good publicity. After seeing the outpouring of support from North Texas fans after Katrina, I think we'd be able to get a large donation together.

You know, actually once the game started you never noticed them. They really lit up the field well.

If we build a new stadium, I really wouldnt mind putting the poles on the field, add a bit of Old School feel to the game. That could be our goofy throwback bit, like the mini monster at the Ballpark.

I still can't get over those damn light poles.  What architect thought it be a good idea to put the poles in front of the stands?