Where are these people ?

calvin

I am not saying that Dickey is the best coach in America..................but his dad was a college football coach.............Dickey himself has coached at Memphis, Texas A&M, SMU, UTEP, Miss. ST, and LSU...................so I think he has a little bit of a clue about coaching...........but not near as much of a clue as the posters on this board.........

Check the records of his dad at KSU....check the record for Dickey as a starter at KSU....then look at Dickey's record here. They are all eerily similiar. 2-3 wins per year for all of them. Yes I know about the 4 Sunbelt titles but the records posted on this board earlier should take care of that argument. Its time to embrace the horror, you are what you are and I'm afraid we are a 2-3 win program with the current coaching regime.

Of course being the glutton for punishment that I am, I'll see you all at Fouts on Sat. blink.gif

Edited by CorinthEagle

I am not saying that Dickey is the best coach in America..................but his dad was a college football coach.............Dickey himself has coached at Memphis, Texas A&M, SMU, UTEP, Miss. ST, and LSU...................so I think he has a little bit of a clue about coaching...........but not near as much of a clue as the posters on this board.........

You right, he does know more about coaching than I do, and for that matter, most on this board, however, if he was a very good coach there would be many other teams trying to hire him away from here. To my knowledge there has been one (Idaho) in nine years, and that one is not even totally for sure.

Guest JohnDenver

Nepotism

UTEP sucked

SMU sucked

KSU sucked

Memphis sucked

Texas A&M? That is the first I have heard about that..

Miss State? I don't know their history...

Just because you have history as a coach, doesn't always mean you are a good coach. Pedigree doesn't go very far in coaching either. I don't care about his father's history...

I am just saying -- that isn't a good reason for him to be considered as "knowing what he is doing."

There are a lot of great coaches out there, whose father was a coach.. so i think pedigree does have something to do with it................................I am not defending or bashing I am just giving you the facts here, Dickey was a grad assist at A&M...............At SMU he was the OC in their only winning season since the death penalty, he was OC at Memphis and while there they knocked off Alabama and Florida who were both in the top 20. At LSU he was on the staff that stopped Alabama's 31 game winning streak.........................He has been around a lot of great coaches, so just to say he knows nothing about coaching is an idiotic statement........

Guest JohnDenver

There are a lot of great coaches out there, whose father was a coach..

But think of the opposite..

There are MORE (way more) coaches out there who are sons of coaches that just plain suck and shouldn't be coaching.

Again, not bashing, just stating how I look at it.

There are a lot of great coaches out there, whose father was a coach.. so i think pedigree does have something to do with it................................I am not defending or bashing I am just giving you the facts here, Dickey was a grad assist at A&M...............At SMU he was the OC in their only winning season since the death penalty, he was OC at Memphis and while there they knocked off Alabama and Florida who were both in the top 20.  At LSU he was on the staff that stopped Alabama's 31 game winning streak.........................He has been around a lot of great coaches, so just to say he knows nothing about coaching is an idiotic statement........

Um......ok? blink.gif

so you are arguing he had more success at other places? Is that the point you are making here?

Guest JohnDenver

Calvin,

I am sure he knows how to coach and he has a clue. I think it is hyperbole and beer (or the mixture) that makes people say otherwise.

However, even given the above assumption, it doesn't mean he is the RIGHT coach for our situation. There are career assistant coaches in college, high school and pros. That is a fact of life. You know, I will NEVER reach the status of "distinguished engineer" at my company .. but I will have a pretty good career. Dickey has shown success at some places, I wish he has shown more full on COLLEGE FOOTBALL success here at UNT. He has taken us to the pinnacle of SBC play, and I love it.. but we have been back sliding.. We all wanted to go to the next level. We wanted to be with the Southern Mississippi's of the world. That is why people question Dickey.

The point I was trying to make is somebody said he was clueless about coaching and I was saying that he grew up a coach's kid and has coached at several programs and been around a lot of great coaches so he has a little clue about coaching...............

Application of aquired knowledge seems to be the problem.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Everyone in the business knows something about coaching. What we're talking about here is as much about success as it is about knowledge.

If I remember correctly, Dickey was involved in only two winning seasons as an assistant coach. Both were 6-5 seasons...one at Memphis and one at SMU.

Harry, Zeke, Emmitt, Coach,  ???

Are you guys just so beatin down by this board that you dont post anymore ?  It seems like you guys have always been regulars.........I know you have posted some here and there but not near as much as you used to...

Notice everyone has replied to this thread except for the 4 people who were invited to.

I'll break the silence.

Calvin is right, I don't post like I used to. Some of it does have to do with it being my last year of pharmacy school and I am busy but much of it has to do with the conflicting jeckle and hyde over here.

Both sides of each argument here have valid points, but they stand for their point so much so that they fail to see the other half of the picture.

I still am a huge, huge fan...........and that won't quit. I occasionally still post about exciting things.

Coach probably feels a bit beat down but things and the fact that he is pretty busy in the fall coaching.

Emmitt has developed a nasty crack habit.