SMU Akst game

MeanGreenBuzz

55-9 Ponies,  late 4th.

Tail kicking of the highest order.

You've got to be kidding me.

I think we've got a pretty good squad of players on our team this year. Unless DD thinks of it as a very important game he doesn't get the team ready. If we came out there like we did against SMU no way we lose big in either game.

We "let" y'all win so you would keep Coach Dickey around for awhile longer, we figured we could take our lumps once in order to gain ground in the long haul. Just kidding.. cool.gif

I think SMU believed all the pre-season hype that they were going to be good. I think they didn't take the Tech game seriously b/c they had no chance. Then they expected to waltz into your stadium and take home a win. The coaches went with a conservative game plan where they refused to let Willis open up. You can only play like that against teams that you would clearly dominate. SMU realized at UNT that they have to take EVERYONE seriously and play lights out to have success on the field and in the "W" column.

I really think that the game against y'all in Denton sparked a fire much like the game against us did for TCU last year. Time will tell, but this is a night and day different team from the one 2 weeks ago.

SMU is passing downfield, and the vertical passing game has opened up the running game so much that our 3rd string RB ran for over 130 yards. Willis was given much more control and allowed to just "do what he does best" in these past 2 games. And he's now the #5 QB in efficiency and has scored 10 TD's in 2 games with only 1 pick.

Every team needs a gut check; SMU got that in Denton. And for the first time, it appears that SMU didn't give up and just roll over in hopes of "next year." The next 2 games against a beatable Tulane, and a not-as-great-as-originally-touted UTEP shold be more telling of the Stangs season.

Best of luck the rest of this season! Get to the N.O. Bowl and let's hope for a rematch!