(Woody) Wilson Takes Unusual Route To NT

MeanGreen61

Wilson takes unusual route to NT

Change of position leads to a change in destination

Spencer Campbell

Issue date: 9/21/06 Section: SPORTS

Coming out of high school, life seemed pretty well planned out for Woody Wilson.

The Fayetteville, Ark. high school football star would attend SEC powerhouse Arkansas, stay close to his family and make the quiet college town proud.

Fortunately, for NT, that is life doesn't always work out the way you plan.

After Wilson signed a letter of intent to play for the Razorbacks in 2003, he was deemed academically ineligible because he didn't make the required score on his SAT. Arkansas' coach, Houston Nutt, sent him to Coffeyville Community College so he could become eligible.

The plan always was for Wilson to return to the Razorbacks' squad. Once there, he would be converted from a quarterback into either a receiver or a defensive back in order to take advantage of his blazing speed.

After redshirting a year at Coffeyville, Wilson played in seven games during his redshirt freshman year, each one at quarterback. He completed 59 percent of his passes for 910 yards and eight touchdowns. He led Coffeyville to a 9-3 overall record in the Jayhawk League. All thoughts of becoming a defensive back left Wilson's head.

Because Arkansas had no interest in Wilson as a quarterback, they quickly canceled his scholarship.

Other, bigger schools were interested, but they all wanted him at defensive back.

NT coach Darrell Dickey came calling and offered Wilson the chance he was desperately looking for.

"I just wanted to play quarterback, and NT was recruiting me," Wilson said. "Coach Dickey gave me that chance, so I'm here."

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/paper...www.ntdaily.com