If DD were to get fired?

chrisfisher

Firing Coach Dickey is NOT our decision!!

Unfortunately it is up to the BOR's philosophy of athletics at UNT....

There are only two possible options how the BOR approaches athletics:

1.  Entertainment only.......then who do they care runs the show.

2.  Winning.......................then they would care who runs the show....which has not happened, yet.

As Clayton Williams (once ran for governor of Texas in the 80's) once commented about the fog, "since you can not do anything about it you might as well sit around and enjoy it."

Our discussions should be DIRECTED at the UNT BOR instead of DD/RF/RV.

Until the BOR changes its philosophy of "ATHLETICS IS ENTERTAINMENT" we are stuck in the FOG.

PMG and SE you old hippies once said, "Onward thru the FOG." laugh.gif

OK, ee of Euless....I won't with-hold this info any longer... ohmy.gifrolleyes.gif

There are at least 2 NT BOR's who I've been told most reliably who are regular lurkers of GoMeanGreen.com. blink.gif (So I guess I won't be invited to any of their hot swingin' parties any time soon----DAMN!)? laugh.gif

Anyway, you are right, though, it is that group who makes all the important decisions, but I can rest assure you and others that those on our BOR's can most likely all read (above 8'th grade level) and they sure as hell can see (empty seats) AND there are at least 2 who are probably perusing this very thread.

I know of one BOR who would probably make a coaching change in the next 5 minutes if said BOR could make the decision alone. That is a start, though.

You know, folks, it makes me feel sad to feel continually feel bad about what our school leadership seems to think is a "right on" direction with all this when I know from talking to non-UNT'ers that many of us are not in left field with what we think needs to happen at UNT with some of our personnel. I don't know DD or any other UNT Athletics employees enough for this to be a vendetta type of thing, either; but just what the hell is wrong with some NT Exes who think we can actually do better than #90 thru #119 and shame on you who don't think we can and keep on supporting those who will insure that that is exactly what we get.

Why some of you don't state your true feelings on all this DD business is beyond me, too, because I know many of you out there and what you'v expressed to me are your true feelings on the subject. What the hell the reason for your non-expression or to make a public stand on all this is beyond me. Some of you actually think you will lose some kind of social standing at UNT if you dare express you true feelings? Pleeeezzzzzzzz ohmy.gif You know what any semblance of social standing with a hardy handful of eggheads employed UNT and a buck will get you in the DFW Metroplex? Please don't make me answer that question. ph34r.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solution is always go out and hire a bigger name guy, well that is not always the solution.........................Man Idaho and their super Coach Dennis Erickson really beat the socks off of Idaho St. last week didnt they, what was the score 27-20 ? If that were the score here against Idaho St., people would be irate...........What about New Mexico St. they hired Hal Mumme and have they even won a game yet with him at the helm ? How about Steve Spurrier at South Carolina did you see that big win they had against 1-AA Wofford last week ?

I agree the OOC games are unacceptable and something has got to change about that but I dont agree with just getting rid of everybody is the solution. Please dont downplay what DD has done here................And I dont want to hear the dumb lame excuse about the Sun Belt..........

The solution is always go out and hire a bigger name guy, well that is not always the solution.........................Man Idaho and their super Coach Dennis Erickson really beat the socks off of Idaho St. last week didnt they, what was the score 27-20 ?  If that were the score here against Idaho St., people would be irate...........What about New Mexico St. they hired Hal Mumme and have they even won a game yet with him at the helm ?  How about Steve Spurrier at South Carolina did you see that big win they had against 1-AA Wofford last week ?

I agree the OOC games are unacceptable and something has got to change about that but I dont agree with just getting rid of everybody is the solution.  Please dont downplay what DD has done here................And I dont want to hear the dumb lame excuse about the Sun Belt..........

Now I may have him confused with another but didn't Hal Mumme come from that big time NCAA program over in the Pelican State, ie, SE Louisiana State?

And I might be wrong about this, too, but I don't recall that Coach Price of UTEP had so grand a first year in El Paso, either.

Moral: What some of these coaches inherited may take more than one year to fix, although we've all seen some coaches turn some programs around "with merely a positive attitude" their first season as head football coach that got them some unexpected wins and for damn sure sold more tickets than ever.

OK, here I go again: unsure.gif After Hayden Fry was fired from S M U in 1972 with a 7 & 4 record, he came to an NTSU football program that had had only 4 wins in 2 seasons and tied for a Missouri Valley Conference football championship his first year at NT. Granted, the SBC was no Big 10, but neither is the SBC a Big 12. either.

We are in the SBC because UNT didn't take care of business the last 2 1/2 decades (which BTW wasn't DD's fault).

One of you stated in another thread "why is it that Troy U can rise so quickly after just getting out of 1-AA, be in 1-A a few years and already outshine what we've done at UNT who has been back in D1-A since 1995............

..............also that GMG.com poster sayinng "watch Troy U leave us in the 'Belt behind with probably another new conference home (and I'll add this): while we at UNT continue to justify mediocrity with some of the strangest personnel management decisions (extended you know whats) many of us have seen from any level of busines and also while slumber and sit around pondering who will build our new stadium when TxDOT comes to us and says something like this: OK, we now need that Fouts Field frontage property, UNT folks! blink.gif (Notice TxDOT even uses "folks" in their communications, too. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Fouts can't be lowered due to the water table, or something of that nature. Plus, with the proposed expansion of I35 in the near future, renovating Fouts is not the answer.

Mumme was at Kentucky and ran afoul of the NCAA due to recruiting violations. He ended up at SE Louisiana prior to NMSU, plus his system has never been an established success.

My replacement would be someone with strong ties to the Texas HS football coaches, someone that runs an exciting system and someone that is high energy that would sell the program.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The solution is always go out and hire a bigger name guy, well that is not always the solution.........................Man Idaho and their super Coach Dennis Erickson really beat the socks off of Idaho St. last week didnt they, what was the score 27-20 ?  If that were the score here against Idaho St., people would be irate...........What about New Mexico St. they hired Hal Mumme and have they even won a game yet with him at the helm ?  How about Steve Spurrier at South Carolina did you see that big win they had against 1-AA Wofford last week ?

I agree the OOC games are unacceptable and something has got to change about that but I dont agree with just getting rid of everybody is the solution.  Please dont downplay what DD has done here................And I dont want to hear the dumb lame excuse about the Sun Belt..........

If you are looking for an immediate turnaround, it probably wouldn't happen. It didn't happen at Central Florida or New Mexico State. The second year should tell a lot. At Central Florida, O'Leary made them divisional champs his second year. There is the exception at UTEP. Price had back-to-back 8-4 seasons. New Mexico State may still be too early to tell. They are the second ranked offense in the nation but they've only beaten two cupcakes. The jury hasn't even gone to chambers yet on Idaho. They were able to play Michigan State relatively close which would've been a blowout under the two previous coaches. Next year is the year to judge Erickson.

It's also possible to hit on some first time coaches, too. Steve Kragthorpe is a good example of that. The flip side is that more don't make it than do.

Dickey was successful here due to the level of competition. That's why he wins conference games but falters on out-of-conference competition. That is about to change. Troy is now the class of this league and Arkansas State is improving. It could be that Middle will also make a move. They had the best talent in the conference and we'll see what the new coach does.

PMG--

Why have the expense of building a new stadium??

Why not improve on Fouts Field by moving the seats closer to the field, lower the playing field about 20 or so feet and add another 10,000 seats.  That would be, IMHO, more cost effective than trying to raise money for another stadium.  Look what Texas Tech did.

To fellow proud NT Ex eulesseagle: I defer to TxDOT who will prevent us from doing anything with Fouts Field since that stadium's future will include a long over-due implosion ceremony that I think about 99.9% of us on GMG.com will all celebrate together. biggrin.gif Otherwise, I think had not TxDOT entered into the equation, we would be improving Fouts Field just as you suggest.

To calvin: You and I may have different opinions on just what level of high profile hire we need at UNT. A Rick Neuheisel-type hire would be such a high profile hire IMHO.

AND............in all seriousness, what is it that you think DD can do at UNT now in light of the trends he has shown us the last 8 years? I admire your tenacity in supporting DD and his style or approach, but I really don't understand why you think there is a future with such a style in Denton, Texas, America, in context to the rest of NCAA D1-A. And 4 bowl games didn't seem to get him a new job, right? Well...........doesn't that alone speak volumes? wink.gif

As I said on UTEP: "I might be wrong" as I didn't Google up a research as I should have; but a bowl game for traditional basketball school UTEP their first year under Price should say a whole lot. Coach Price was a"high profile" hire for UTEP because Alabama saw fit to hire him never-minding all that allegedly followed after his hire by the Crimson Tide.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Can we please wait until the year is over to call Troy "the class of the league." They have to prove that they can win conference games on the road before they can be called the class of anything. I bet they enjoy their rings they get for playing Georgia Tech close though......................

Can we please wait until the year is over to call Troy "the class of the league."  They have to prove that they can win conference games on the road before they can be called the class of anything.  I bet they enjoy their rings they get for playing Georgia Tech close though......................

Thank you. I seem to recall Troy having some good OOC showings a couple of years ago, they rolled into Denton and got shut out.

Dickey was successful here due to the level of competition.  That's why he wins conference games but falters on out-of-conference competition.  That is about to change.  Troy is now the class of this league and Arkansas State is improving.  It could be that Middle will also make a move.  They had the best talent in the conference and we'll see what the new coach does.

My biggest fear is that you are correct in regards to Dickey's success. Were we that good, or were they that bad? Hopefully, Dickey will respond to the increased SBC competition, and thus make us even more competitive against OOC teams.