BASKETBALL SCHEDULE

MICHAELSPAPPY

UT or TT or Baylor could maybe command a 3-1 deal from some teams but no way in hell should TCU, SMU, UoH, or Rice even ask for one. I personally wouldn't mind a 2-1 with SMU or TCU to build the rivalry. Our fans could easily travel there and once both teams have seen what 3 years of playing each other could do for the schools I'm sure it would switch to a 1-1.

No way would I give 2-1 status to TCU and SMU. Those programs are not any better than NT. NT has played TCU and SMU many times in the past with little additional interest. Maybe an extra 1000 at the pit, and very few bother to travel the 35 miles to an away game. In the last decade I doubt that NT averages 200 fans at either Forth Worth or University Park. IMO that is why the home schedule is so poor, there is no incentive to bring stronger teams in.

The basketball program has to be jumped started and I have no idea how. It does not seem to matter who the opposition is, there is little interest. The Belt tournament at Denton two years ago is a prime example. There were not a 100 students at either the men or women's games. There was some interest generated last year with promotions and winning teams before both teams tanked.

No way would I give 2-1 status to TCU and SMU.  Those programs are not any better than NT.  NT has played TCU and SMU many times in the past with little additional interest.  Maybe an extra 1000 at the pit, and very few bother to travel the 35 miles to an away game.    In the last decade I doubt that NT averages 200 fans at either Forth Worth or University Park.  IMO that is why the home schedule is so poor, there is no incentive to bring stronger teams in.

The basketball program has to be jumped started and I have no idea how.  It does not seem to matter who the opposition is, there is little interest.  The Belt tournament at Denton two years ago is a prime example.  There were not a 100 students at either the men or women's games.  There was some interest generated last year with promotions and winning teams before both teams tanked.

I agree with most of what you said, but the crowd for the first game Friday of that tournament had a pretty good turn out. Then both teams lost their first games and that was that...

No way would I give 2-1 status to TCU and SMU.  Those programs are not any better than NT.  NT has played TCU and SMU many times in the past with little additional interest.  Maybe an extra 1000 at the pit, and very few bother to travel the 35 miles to an away game.    In the last decade I doubt that NT averages 200 fans at either Forth Worth or University Park.  IMO that is why the home schedule is so poor, there is no incentive to bring stronger teams in.

The basketball program has to be jumped started and I have no idea how.  It does not seem to matter who the opposition is, there is little interest.  The Belt tournament at Denton two years ago is a prime example.  There were not a 100 students at either the men or women's games.  There was some interest generated last year with promotions and winning teams before both teams tanked.

I might have been misunderstood. I didn't say they deserved 2-1 status but I wouldn't mind doing a 2-1 with them in order to get something going.

I agree with most of what you said, but the crowd for the first game Friday of that tournament had a pretty good turn out. Then both teams lost their first games and that was that...

You must have went to a difference first game. The NT pep band just about outnumbered any obvious NT student turnout. As one who bought tickets to the tournament, I thought the NT turnout was a disgrace.

i am in favor of the schedule because it at least allows us to build a program and put together some wins. it would be great to bring SMU or TCU in here as a regional rivalry and I guarantee you that we tried. Sometimes we forget that there are people who believe it or not have been around these sports longer than we have and know what they are doing. With TCU and SMU not on our schedule tells me that it is because of something that THEY did not want to do, not us. We are not in a position to turn them down. Let's build some momentum with this schedule. If this team gets out to an incredible record, the momentum will start to build!! You might not have many students at the first couple of home games but once you reach a 12-1 or a 14-2, you will see a high level of excitement for basketball at NORTH TEXAS

The crowd was also pure luck and mostly UH fans since they were in town with their bowl game.

I agree with your thoughts on big name schools though - but UH was a perfect storm.

Were you at that game? I was and I'd say the UNT turnout was very good. Yes, the UH fans were louder because (you guessed it!) they have more cheers that everyone knows and says in unison. What a novel concept. But when UNT was in that game and had a good play or two the NT crowd was LOUD. And there were a lot of us. Unfortunately they all were wearing red and we were all wearing something other than green. rolleyes.gif But the atmosphere that night was electric and just as exciting in my mind as any Sun Belt football game.

Edited by Stan R