UNT names Wilson starting QB

BobFam

Oh, and to be exact, DD just said he didn't know when the other Qbs would enter the game.  That doesn't guarantee that either will enter the game, as the answer could be dictated by another good outing by Woody.

I thought I misread the article. I went back and re-read it. It says, "While Wilson will start against Tulsa, Dickey said another quarterback will play against the Golden Hurricane. The quarterback Dickey picks to come off the bench will be determined by the game situation." Notice the "will play" part. This is a news article, subject to all the mis-quotes, paraphrasing, etc. But, that is what the articles reports.

I thought I misread the article. I went back and re-read it. It says, "While Wilson will start against Tulsa, Dickey said another quarterback will play against the Golden Hurricane. The quarterback Dickey picks to come off the bench will be determined by the game situation."  Notice the "will play" part.  This is a news article, subject to all the mis-quotes, paraphrasing, etc. But, that is what the articles reports.

You read it right...it says "will play", not might play. I'd bet probably Meager, but only the ph34r.gif knows.......

Well, the article said DD will play another QB depending on game situation.

To me that means 3 things:

1. Tulsa is blowing NT out. Garbage duty for the other QB.

2. NT is blowing Tulsa out. Garbage duty for the new QB.

3. Woody gets hurt.

Yeah, I'm giving DD the benefit of the doubt here.

Anyone check the temperature in Hell lately? laugh.gif

3. Woody gets hurt.

Anyone check the temperature in Hell lately?  laugh.gif

To me it means another QB is coming in for sure but whether it is Phillips or Meager has yet to be determined.

3. Woody gets hurt.

Anyone check the temperature in Hell lately?  laugh.gif

I sure don't like 2/3 of these options. Is this the best way to prepare for a game? I thought a team should prepare for a down in the trenches, hard fought game. To say Woody WILL BE pulled before seeing him play is weird, and partly responsible for my speculation earlier in this post. It seems from what I've read, no one can offer a reasonable explanation. So - as over analyzed as I may have been earlier, it may not be to far from the truth either.

Edited by chrisfisher

BTW I love El Presidente. I am ready to name the student union after him.

However, he plays a risky (to himself) style, he is fearless, and if he thinks running to the middle of the field, not sliding, diving, etc is going to help the team win, he is going to do it.

His one year of football at JUCO was cut short when he was injured on a run.

I think it might make a little sense to make sure that someone else who has a little game time can run the offense.

With that said, Viva El Presidente.

No doubt. My biggest fear is that Woody will be hurt... .then what? Daniel and Matt should be ready to play at all times. I hate to say it, but my stomach churns when I think of going back to last year's offensive QB's... nonetheless, I really hope that Matt or Daniel will be able to contribute to our newfound offensive progress, if they have to relieve Woody.

I think it might make a little sense to make sure that someone else who has a little game time can run the offense.

With that said, Viva El Presidente.

Meager has 11 games experience as starter, Phillips 2 games as starter and many backup chances last year after Meager injuries. We have a ton more experience at QB this year than last and didn't rotate last year. Leave Woody in until we're up or down by 30 then change if need be, otherwise it doesn't make sense to still be rotating; but since when is that a criteria? dry.gif

Meager has 11 games experience as starter, Phillips 2 games as starter and many backup chances last year after Meager injuries.

The offense has changed since last year. So have some of the personel.

This team has been hurt, badly, in the last few years by the lack of depth. I think the coaches are doing a great job of rotating players at all positions.

Now, normally, I would think QB would be the exception to the "make sure backups get time", but Woody hasn't show he can take a year of pounding. In fact he has show the exact opposite. He was hurt in JUCO, he was hurt this spring.

Giving Phillips/Meager a few snaps now might be the difference between having someone who can get us through a few games if Woody is out, or having the position go to seed if Woody is out.

With that said, Woody should start and get 90% of the playing time.

The offense has changed since last year.  So have some of the personel. 

This team has been hurt, badly, in the last few years by the lack of depth.  I think the coaches are doing a great job of rotating players at all positions. 

Now, normally, I would think QB would be the exception to the "make sure backups get time", but Woody hasn't show he can take a year of pounding.  In fact he has show the exact opposite.  He was hurt in JUCO, he was hurt this spring. 

Giving Phillips/Meager a few snaps now might be the difference between having someone who can get us through a few games if Woody is out, or having the position go to seed if Woody is out.

With that said, Woody should start and get 90% of the playing time.

Of course, back-ups need to get snaps, but I'd argue more during practice with other 2nd and 3rd string teams, rather during game time situations. I have said it before, there is high likelihood that Woody will get hurt at some point. Our back ups need to be prepared. I'd love to see them shine. However, I don't know how any QB can get in sync with the offense with the constant switching, though Woody seems to find a way to make things work in spite of this.

Of course, back-ups need to get snaps, but I'd argue more during practice with other 2nd and 3rd string teams, rather during game time situations.

Uh, if game time situations aren't important, why would you worry about Woody getting hurt, I mean, wouldn't the other players be fine with just practice? Why even risk them getting hurt in practice? Why not just have them read the playbook? Wait, its the year 2006, just have them play xbox 360! biggrin.gif

Nothing is worth as much as actual game time experience.

Guest JohnDenver

Cerebus .. you and I both know that DD hasn't taken the "game time oppurtunities" to break in his back ups. He didn't do it when we were playing Nichols State, he didn't do it when we were being blown out last year, he hasn't done it at when he KNEW Byerly wasn't making the grades. Is this just a sign that he is learning from his mistakes?

Is this just a sign that he is learning from his mistakes?

Perhaps he is learning from his mistakes. blink.gif You have to remember that last year, Meager was just a freshman and under the circumstances didn't really do all that bad. Also, he SUPPOSEDLY had a great camp till his concussion. Even to be an effective backup, he needs to see some actual game speed action which can not be simulated during practice. I wouldn't be suprised to see Woody start, then have DM come in for a series or two in the first quarter. Then El Presidente can finish out the game having enough time to work his magic. If it becomes a blow-out (either way) another QB should be brought in just to save WW from punishment and possible injury.

I think giving backups time during the season is a really, really good thing to do.

Of course it is. Practicing against your 2nd and 3rd teams and being thrown up against a fired-up first team defense is a big difference. Pretty amazing to me that Meager gets so much grief. The guy was a FRESHMAN last year for pete's sake.

Getting backups playing time is great, but I would feel a lot better knowing that everything possible was done to win the game. Now if we were going against a D2 school, then yeah, play all 3 of them. But we are going to be up against it when playing Tulsa, and I'll not be too pleased if Woody comes out let a backup get some experience. Unless it is a blowout, of course.

I agree that there is nothing quite like game time experience. But if it is so vital that back-up QB's get game time experience, why is it that the vast majority of other D-1A times do not rotate out their starting QB? Hell, we even announced it before seeing how Woody plays. If Woody sucks or can't put up points, yank him. Otherwise leave him alone. I also suspect (as suggested in this post) that Meager will see playing time. Hopefully he will play well.