Rallies park it at Clark for new football season

WIFE2HOT4U

As a live band played "Billie Jean" in the background, students danced, mingled, bought NT shirts and other memorabilia or waited in line for free food or drinks during the pep rally Friday night in Clark Park, across the street from Clark Hall.

NT's pep rallies will be held at Clark Park rather than Fouts Field on Fridays before home games. San Antonio senior Alan Ross, Student Government Association president, said the hopes are more students will attend since they will not have to travel as far across campus.

"I'm really glad they changed the pep rally from the stadium to here," said Alex Ocheltree, Spring junior. "It brings out more students since it's at the center of the campus. The more students at the game, the more school spirit there will be."

SGA, the NT bookstore, Wells Fargo bank and the Residence Hall Association were among the organizations that hosted the pep rally. Ross said the intent of the pep rally was to raise school spirit and to promote attendance at the football games.

"We want a better community," said Chris Brown, Fort Worth senior and speaker of the SGA Senate. "It's about having a good time and representing our school. This will probably be the best game of the year. It's been a long time coming. Whenever we do play them [southern Methodist University], it's a big deal. It gives us something to root about."

Students and faculty alike were excited about the game.

"We should do very well," said Chuck Fuller, assistant vice president for Business Services. "They've always thought they were too good for us. Tomorrow, we're going to prove we're too good for them."

His expectation proved correct when NT defeated SMU 24-6. The pep rally was the first part of the weekend activities. With the game being the next day, more and more students were wearing their green. For a number of students, this was going to be their first college football game.

"I'm pimped up," said Dallas freshman Marccus Hendrix. "The music's straight. The food's good. I'm really excited. This will be my first college home game. I'm going to be painted green and white. I bleed green. That's what it's going to be."

http://www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/paper...www.ntdaily.com

• 3 weeks later...

I went last night. Sad to say it wasn't nearly as crowded as the week before, but I still had a good time. DD got on stage for a minute and tried to pump up the students before giving the mic to Johnny Quinn and possibly Brandon Monroe? I can't remember exactly. Anyway, everyone should come out to the next one!

You're right. There were too many things happening to get a huge crowd. And the band sucked.

But a lot of students came out and hung out for a while.

We want more Alumni and people from the community to start showing up to these. The kinks are being worked out, and it will go through some growing pains, but even this week had hundreds of students at a mean green pep rally.

It's a start!

The next one isn't for another month, but you guys need to come out to the last two. Cheer on your team and get some free food.

With a little time, FN@CP can be something huge that everybody comes to. No better time to start than now.