DMN NT's win more than just W

OldTimer

UNT's win more than just W

Team gains confidence, bragging rights, ends home losing streak

12:32 AM CDT on Monday, September 11, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Of all the players on North Texas' roster, Woody Wilson might have the least historical perspective on the importance of the Mean Green's 24-6 win over SMU at Fouts Field.

The junior quarterback grew up in Arkansas and only arrived at UNT in January.

That didn't prevent Wilson from joining the Mean Green's coaches and players in proclaiming just how big Saturday's win was for the school, the athletic department and the Mean Green.

"This was real big," Wilson said. "It's good for recruiting with SMU and North Texas being right by each other. It was big for the players and the coaching staff. ... It's just a big rivalry."

UNT and SMU hadn't played since 1992 before resuming a series the Mustangs dominated. Even after UNT's win, SMU leads the series 27-4-1.

The Mean Green's chance of winning didn't appear good heading into the game. UNT lost its season opener at Texas, 56-7, to extend its losing streak to seven games. The Mean Green, 0-5 at Fouts in 2005, hadn't won a home game since the 10th week of the 2004 season.

"It was important for us to win because it was our first home game," wide receiver Johnny Quinn said. "We only won two games last year. ... A win's a win."

UNT broke its skid at Fouts behind an all-around performances. Wilson threw for 103 yards and rushed for 74 yards in an outing that might solidify his status as UNT's starter after coming off the bench in relief of sophomore Matt Phillips for the second straight week.

UNT coach Darrell Dickey declined to name a starter for Saturday's game at Tulsa, but said that Wilson's performance would earn him additional playing time.

GARY PAYNE/DMN

UNT backup quarterback Woody Wilson threw for 103 yards and rushed for 74 yards. He entered the game in the second quarter and helped the Mean Green outscore SMU, 17-6.

UNT's defense was equally effective, posting its best performance since shutting out Troy in the ninth week of the 2003 season.

The Mean Green held SMU's offense to 270 yards.

"I was very proud that our players played with a lot of intensity, emotion and confidence," Dickey said. "There might not have been a reason to have confidence, but they believed in what they are doing."

UNT is hoping that confidence will build after a win the Mean Green believes could have long-term implications.

"This was huge because SMU is in Dallas," said linebacker Maurice Holman, who turned 22 Saturday. "It will open up recruiting for us and gives us bragging rights in Dallas. They are right up the street. It just feels good to win this one."

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com

UNT (1-1) at Tulsa (1-1), 6 p.m. Saturday (KWRD-FM 100.7; KNTU-FM 88.1).

Additional playing time?!!!  I'm really starting to believe there is nothing Woody can do to win this starting job outright.

Coach Dickey is going to do things his way. Keep in mind that in spite of his easy going manner, and self-depregating humor, he has an ego. How large is anyone's guess. But it is large enough that (IMHO) he's never going to give the appearance of making decisions based on fan's demands....especially clueless North Texas fans.

I speculate about his statements this way because he couldn't possibly think that his cautious statements about giving Woody "more playing time" is going to fool any competent coach.

Edited by SilverEagle

Coach Dickey is going to do things his way. Keep in mind that in spite of his easy going manner, and self-depregating humor, he has an ego. How large is anyone's guess. But it is large enough that (IMHO) he's never going to give the appearance of making decisions based on fan's demands....especially clueless North Texas fans.

I speculate about his statements this way because he couldn't possibly think that his cautious statements about giving Woody "more playing time" is going to fool any competent coach.

Players have egos too. He could be trying to keep Woody's under control, telling him that TUlsa will not be as easy as SMU.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Players have egos too.  He could be trying to keep Woody's under control, telling him that TUlsa will not be as easy as SMU.

I don't know that Woody's ego needs to be under control at this time. I haven't heard any cockiness from him so I don't think that he needs reining in. Au contrare, don't take away that fire by relegating him to the bench. Don't plant any seeds of doubt. Woody has to have confidence and he can gain more from starting than wondering when he gets in the game will we already be behind. Personally, I don't care about perfecting situations as long as he can keep moving the chain. Don't make him overthink; let it flow naturally.