Great day and fantastic game.

FirefightnRick

I am certainly glad I got ahold of one of DallasGreen's "Kick SMU" t shirts now. Something to wear on my next visit to big D.

Me and the F5 had a fantastic day. Fun pre game festivities that started up where last nights Pep Rally left off.

The game:

It's amazing how different SMU's defense reacted when WW came in. You could tell after a few plays when he was in there that they stepped differently at the snap of the ball. He brings a whole other dimension to our offense. When watching him scrimmage against our own d it was hard to judge his speed and skill but damn he's fast. Jamario fast.

IS IT POSSIBLE that this was the reason WW didn't come back in after that td drive at Texas last week? I had not realized it till tonight but other than that drive no one had any game film on WW which certainly helped tonight.

I said last week that our defense looked better, now I'm certain of it. Mean Green defense returns!

This game could have easily gone down to the wire as both teams had some breaks but it could have ended up 35-0 NT just as well.

I'm trying to remain reserved as to the future but this team could really be fun to watch because they are so damn young. Our remaining OOC opponents are no slouches and Akron beat South Carolina today but they are all very beatable.

Troy came within the hair of a nats ass of beating Florida State, ULM played Kansas to the wire and Arkansas St, Florida Int and MTSU all played their OOC opponents very well . I spoke with Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Waters at the pep rally last night and he reiterated that OOC games are at the top of our conference's needs list. I'm glad NT was able to finally oblige.

All in all a fanstastic day. There were a lot of freshmen in the stands and the foundation has now been built for them to become the future of the Mean Green Nation.

P.S. I found my ring.

Rick

I am certainly glad I got ahold of one of DallasGreen's "Kick SMU" t shirts now.  Something to wear on my next visit to big D.

Me and the F5 had a fantastic day.  Fun pre game festivities that started up where last nights Pep Rally left off.

The game:

It's amazing how different SMU's defense reacted when WW came in.  You could tell after a few plays when he was in there that they stepped differently at the snap of the ball.  He brings a whole other dimension to our offense.  When watching him scrimmage against our own d it was hard to judge his speed and skill but damn he's fast.  Jamario fast. 

IS IT POSSIBLE that this was the reason WW didn't come back in after that td drive at Texas last week?  I had not realized it till tonight but other than that drive no one had any game film on WW which certainly helped tonight.

I said last week that our defense looked better, now I'm certain of it.  Mean Green defense returns!

This game could have easily gone down to the wire as both teams had some breaks but it could have ended up 35-0 NT just as well.

I'm trying to remain reserved as to the future but this team could really be fun to watch because they are so damn young.  Our remaining OOC opponents are no slouches and Akron beat South Carolina today but they are all very beatable.

Troy came within the hair of a nats ass of beating Florida State, ULM played Kansas to the wire and Arkansas St, Florida Int and MTSU all played their OOC opponents very well .  I spoke with Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Waters at the pep rally last night and he reiterated that OOC games are at the top of our  conference's needs list.  I'm glad NT was able to finally oblige.

All in all a fanstastic day.  There were a lot of freshmen in the stands and the foundation has now been built for them to become the future of the Mean Green Nation.

P.S.  I found my ring.

Rick

Other than the win, the best news I've heard.

Guest JohnDenver

The recruit section was pretty full... however it seemed that was filled with mostly parents. There wasn't a whole lot of young men there. There was a punter there for sure, I forgot to look at his dad's baseball cap, so I don't know where he plays.

I need to go a better job of watching who sits there...

Thank you. I didn't think I was going to get it finished in time as I had to have them both back on campus by 6 p.m. friday. I'm pleased the way it turned out. I also want to thank those for the help I got. Alumnus Alex Balic was instrumental in much of the design of the carriage and pentil hook. AustinTalon was able to design the correct font for the logos, and SoundMan Eric printed them up and they all look fantastic. RV has mentioned that "Boomer" would now look awesome in the entry way of the Hall of Fame for all visitors to the AC to see. Most of the rest of the administration I spoke with were also impressed as well. Now I simply need to send a photo to Dr. Pohl so that he can see the completion of what actually started out as his idea (for a limber to accompany "Boomer") in the first place.

Thank you all so much for your help and support. It truly makes The University of North Texas a special place to know that it allows it's students and alumni to get so involved with programs such as this.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The recruit section was pretty full... however it seemed that was filled with mostly parents. There wasn't a whole lot of young men there. There was a punter there for sure, I forgot to look at his dad's baseball cap, so I don't know where he plays.

I need to go a better job of watching who sits there...

Talked with one of the women handling recruit tickets, their parents and HS coaches and was told they were some NT prospects there that NT was real excited about. Saw one recruit but from his size, is problem a DB or WR. Lets hope they were excited about NT. An opened up offense instead of every play between tackles lends excitment to the game.

Rick, that thing looked incredible!  Now we just gotta figure out how to make Boomer a little louder.  Like, loud enough to freak out people in Carrollton, make children cry, and opposing fans crap their pants.

I know how to make it louder. I can eliminate the flame-outs.

I wanted to add congratulations to the entire school, and all you UNT guys and gals and say that any way you slice it--last night was a huge win for the UNT program, and for UNT as a whole.

The whole atmosphere, banter back and forth between programs, and the reaction of the fan bases afterward--this kind of thing is precisely why UNT needs to play D1 teams from Texas on a yearly basis, and the type of thing that if pursued and nurtured by the administration of all the schools/involved conferences, can result in UNT's program getting to places it's only dreamed of.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have sellouts every damn season with the Rice's, and the Houston's, and the TCU's and SMU's of the world at Fouts or Orbison Field at Henley-Jones Stadium? ( cool.gif ) Because I guarantee that continued successes like last night will do more to get the big donors out of the woodwork quicker--no matter who the coach is.

This wasn't a victory over a 'just back from the death penalty' SMU, or a 'should have been a win' over an otherwise pitiful UT--this was an ass-whipping over an up and coming SMU team that knocked off several very good programs last year, and were/are predicted to go to a bowl by a lot of people THIS year. This wasn't 'even a blind albino squirrel finds a nut', either, so let others spin it however they want--and nod your head and just say: "Scoreboard, MFer."

There's no other way to put it down, so enjoy it, remember it, and demand more of it. wink.gif

Guest JohnDenver

Not to be critical but Akron scored a last minute victory over NC State, not South Carolina.

NC State is a quality opponent. Also, if caught any of the Penn State v. Akron game in week 1, you would be impressed with Akron. Two times during the game the coach went for a 4th and 7 within their 25 yard line. He believes in his team and does what is needed to win...