DMN Article.

SeanMG

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...mu.2ef4961.html

North Texas whips SMU, 24-6

10:14 PM CDT on Saturday, September 9, 2006

Associated Press

DENTON– Woody Wilson passed for 103 yards and rushed for 74, including a 33-yard run touchdown in the third quarter, as North Texas beat SMU 24-6 on Saturday night.

The victory for North Texas (1-1) was only the school's fourth in 32 meetings against SMU.

North Texas wide receiver Johnny Quinn caught nine passes for 132 yards, extending his streak of consecutive games with a catch to 38, the second-longest in the nation.

Junior running back Jamario Thomas, who led the nation in rushing as a freshman in 2004, finished with 90 yards on 24 carries. He had 61 yards in the fourth quarter, including a 5-yard touchdown with 2 minutes left.

SMU (0-2), which lost to No. 24 Texas Tech 35-3 last week, has scored just nine points in its first two games. That's the fewest total for the Mustangs since scoring a combined seven points in their first two games in 1965.

SMU didn't get its first touchdown of the season until the third quarter, when Columbus Givens caught a 12-yard pass from Justin Willis.

Willis completed 15 of 19 passes for 112 yards.

DeMyron Martin had 55 yards on 13 carries for SMU in the first quarter before spraining his right foot. He returned to the sidelines wearing a boot, and team officials said he would undergo X-rays on Sunday.

SMU trailed 7-6 in the third quarter before Wilson, who replaced starting quarterback Matt Phillips in the second quarter, scored on a 33-yard run.

A 22-yard field goal by Denis Hopovac early in the fourth quarter capped a seven-plus minute drive that began on North Texas' own 6-yard line. The kick put the Mean Green ahead 17-6.

On the game's first offensive possession, North Texas' Evan Robertson blocked a punt on SMU's 25-yard line and recovered the loose ball in the end zone for a touchdown. It marked the first touchdown in the opening quarter by North Texas in 14 games, dating back to Nov. 11, 2004.

It's kind of an odd article.

The headline makes me feel good but a lot of the content makes me feel like the DMN just slapped me.

You're looking for something to be mad about. This is an AP story (not necessarily writen by the Morning News), filed immediately after the game. This kind of story is pure nuts and bolts. No time for quotes, no time for analysis. It's who won, who lost, who did what. That's all. There is no insult, either intentional or unintentional, in this article.

There is nothing to be negative about tonight. We won! Enjoy it.

I was so excited that we won and that this was such an awsome game to watch. I had 2 alumni (both family members) make it up to the game that hadn't been to one in 30+ years and both were asking me when the next game is! GMG! Keep winning and the fans will come.

On a side note, I was impressed by how many fans SMU brought but I was a little depressed the alumni side didn't fill up. Atleast the students came out in force.

I was so excited that we won and that this was such an awsome game to watch.  I had 2 alumni (both family members) make it up to the game that hadn't been to one in 30+ years and both were asking me when the next game is!  GMG! Keep winning and the fans will come.

On a side note, I was impressed by how many fans SMU brought but I was a little depressed the alumni side didn't fill up.  Atleast the students came out in force.

I was surprised, too, at some of the empty seats. Maybe some of them stayed home to watch UT-Ohio State. Their loss. I wouldn't have missed this!

I was surprised, too, at some of the empty seats. Maybe some of them stayed home to watch UT-Ohio State. Their loss. I wouldn't have missed this!

I'm with you there. That game turned out not to be nearly as good as the hype. I'm watching it on TiVo now and I can tell you the NT-SMU game was alot more fun to be at and watch.

I was so excited that we won and that this was such an awsome game to watch.  I had 2 alumni (both family members) make it up to the game that hadn't been to one in 30+ years and both were asking me when the next game is!  GMG! Keep winning and the fans will come.

On a side note, I was impressed by how many fans SMU brought but I was a little depressed the alumni side didn't fill up.  Atleast the students came out in force.

The press box side was very full... just a few empty seats at the bottom where you can't see the game over the players on the sidelines...

I was supprised that SMU did't bring more fans! They had a nice showing... but, I expected a couple more thousand of them. Hey, why don't we get to count the fantom extra 5-10k fans that "show" up to their games?

The student section was full and roudy the entire game... very nice game atmosphere all over... nice weather too. Great game.

GMG!