What else does DD need?

Will to Win

Woody proved he can lead the offense, and score!

If Matt Phillips starts nexk week, there is something wrong.

J Mo didn't look too sharp tonight. Not Quick anymore?

What a sweet victory!

Nature Boy

I couldn't agree more. Woody has shown he can score. Meager and Phillips, not so much. Woody seems like the easy choice.

J-Mo still looked great, but the offensive line looked not-so-great.

It happened more then a few times that right when he got the ball he was surrounded by Smoo's. We need to find a way to get him some holes. 75% of the time he wasnt running into anything even resembling a crack.

He still had 92 yards though. Super Jamario is still alive.

Woody proved he can lead the offense, and score!

If Matt Phillips starts nexk week, there is something wrong.

J Mo didn't look too sharp tonight. Not Quick anymore?

What a sweet victory!

Nature Boy

Jamario ran against 8 man fronts for most of the night. SMU finally started dropping a safety back in the 2nd half, but for most of the night SMU was waiting on the run and daring us to pass. We went deep several time justs missing plays where WR was one on one with a corner. I think SMU's corner were worn out in the 2nd half. I will have to admit the game plan was decent. RF was jumping around on the field after game with the players.

Give Coach Dickey credit. He made the switch to Wilson when the offense slowed, and he didn't go back and forth. He stuck with Woody, he and Flanagan made play calls that gave him a chance to be successful, and Woody's performance validated the trust they put in him. This was a success all the way around. Congratulations to Coach Dickey and his staff for an emotional win.

And to respond, after SMU cut the gap to 7-6, so strongly says a lot about the team and about Woody. That was a poised, impressive scoring drive to re-take control.

It was especially nice that everyone - from coaches to players, from alumni to the students - really, really wanted this game and were on their feet all night. My hands are raw and my voice is shot, and I feel fine! biggrin.gif

Just curious what is the issue with the O-Line? 4 returning starters yet they still can not protect the QB and open holes for the RB. I know they are facing 8 man fronts, but as the O-Line goes so does the running and passing games and we can not expect Woody to have to improvise on most plays b/c the O-Line is letting the defense thru. Also 2.8 ypc for J-Mo is to much wear and tear to get the 92 yds, just saw he had closer to a 4.1 average, most after WW came in.

Edited by untbowler

SMU's strength this year is their front 7.

I love that we were 7 of 13 on 3rd down conversions.

NT answered the SMU TD with an 8 play, 80 yard TD drive and a 13 play 90 yard FG drive. Difference in the game.

We gave up no sacks on the night, though WW certainly influenced that number.

Wasn't it great to see the personal fouls, and the effect they have on drives, take more from the other team than from us?

Quinn nabbed footballs out of the air at full speed, low, high, behind him. I remember fondly calling out, "That kid's a FRESHMAN" after his unbelievable catches then. My kids went over to say hi after the game...very nice young man (sorry for generic dad-speak).

Did Brandon Jackson even have one ball thrown his way?

And more of the generic dad speak: Did anyone see that tall blond speaking to Burress family after the game. Unbelievably tight skirt that said something like "Do you believe?" on the front. Never got around to the back personally. Clearly the most talented player on the field. Spoke to one of the press boxers after the game, and he said she was an active part of the conversation most of the evening.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Just curious what is the issue with the O-Line? 4 returning starters yet they still can not protect the QB and open holes for the RB. I know they are facing 8 man fronts, but as the O-Line goes so does the running and passing games and we can not expect Woody to have to improvise on most plays b/c the O-Line is letting the defense thru. Also 2.8 ypc for J-Mo is to much wear and tear to get the 92 yds, just saw he had closer to a 4.1 average, most after WW came in.

I think that you just answered your own question, bowler. Five blocking seven or eight, especially where that is SMUs strength, just doesn't equate. While they weren't able to move anyone out, they also did a decent job of keeping the defensive line out of our backfield. I can't recall a time when Jamario tried to bounce outside when the hole was clogged.