A Day to Come Together

mad dog

From Rick Villareal, Athletics Director at UNT

Special to Gomeangreen.com

When we scheduled this game three years ago, I knew it would be a big day for North Texas. I thought that by this time the Mean Green Nation would be a united front , sights set on taming the ponies. I signed on the board tonight hoping to read a lot of first game buzz and instead I see people ripping Talons, Talons ripping alums, fans ripping coaches, and on and on. I just returned from the pep rally (over 3000 students attended and screamed and yelled for hours) and an alum was ripping the athletic department because we nor the coaches cared about the SMU game and that the players and coaches didn't understand the importance of this game. This jab coming at an event which was a joint effort between the athletic department, the SGA, RHA and the office of student development that was specifically geared to keep students here for the SMU game. To rev them up and prime them for tomorrow's game. Game day T-shirts, pon poms, footballs and foam eagle claws were given away as the Talons manned and operated the cannon and the bell and the Head Coach, players and I encouraged student support at tommorow's game. I think it is also importatnt to note (addressing another post) that a season football schedule and first week (SMU) activity schedules were put up on the wall in every freshman's dorm room prior to move in and the Talons as well other groups were coordinated through the athletic department to make that happen.

Folks lets make it clear. We all understand the importance of this and every game to the future success of this program. It is big because it is a cross town rival, a regional opponent, a C-USA school and so many other reasons. More importantly it is the next game and a home game and one that we need to win. Everyone understands this from the equipment manager to the players, the coaches and this staff and regardless of others' view I can assure you we have prepared for this day.

IT'S TIME TO UNITE! IT'S TIME TO GRAB THE ROPE AND PULL TOGETHER! IF WE ARE EVER GOING TO SUCCEED NOT ONLY AGAINST SMU BUT ON A REGULAR BASIS IT MUST BE AS A WHOLE AND NOT BEATING EACH OTHER TO DEATH. SOME PEOPLE NEGLECTED AND TORE THIS PROGRAM DOWN FOR 25 YEARS. LET'S PUT IT BACK TOGETHER...TOGETHER! REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME I WILL CONTINUE TO WORK TO BUILD THE MEAN GREEN NATION AND DOING WHATEVER IT TAKES TO ASSURE THAT GROWTH.

SEE YOU TOMMORROW! GO MEAN GREEN!