DMN: UNT's Flanigan hopes to beat alma mater

NT80

UNT's Flanigan hopes to beat alma mater

Former SMU quarterback admits having added motivation for contest

10:11 PM CDT on Friday, September 8, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON ­ Ramon Flanigan has yelled more at practice and has slept less the past few days.

It's only the second week of the season, but for North Texas' offensive coordinator today's game against SMU at Fouts Field is more than another non-conference affair. It's an opportunity for Flanigan to face his alma mater for the first time as a coach and prove how far he has come since he was the Mustangs' quarterback.

"I would like to say that it's just another game, but I'd be lying," Flanigan said. "There is added incentive because there are a lot of people I want to show that I am doing a good job."

UNT and SMU haven't played since 1992, when Flanigan was a freshman who led the Mustangs to a 28-14 win. If it wasn't for an injury he suffered during that game, Flanigan might never have had the chance to show those traits as a coach.

Entering the game as the backup quarterback, Flanigan rifled a touchdown pass to Brian Berry on his first attempt. But his season ended on his next attempt when he tore ligaments in his thumb.

He was granted a medical redshirt, a reprieve that helped pave his way to UNT.

Flanigan came back from the injury and played his final season under offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey, who was with the Mustangs for one season.

Dickey changed SMU's offense from a wide-open passing attack to a run-oriented scheme and rotated Flanigan with another quarterback. That season the Mustangs finished 6-5.

"Ramon is as smart a quarterback as I have ever coached," said Dickey, who was hired as the UNT coach in 1998. "The way he handled himself with the transition in style of offenses, sharing the job and helping lead us from a 1-4 start to the only winning season SMU has had since the death penalty, are the reasons I decided to hire him as a coach."

Flanigan has quickly risen through the ranks at UNT, moving from quarterbacks coach to become one of the youngest offensive coordinators in Division I-A at 27 in 2002.

"He has always been very innovative, understands how to package plays and adjusts when a player goes down or to situations in games," Dickey said.

With Flanigan on staff, the Mean Green won four straight Sun Belt Conference titles from 2001-04. He also was key to the development of Scott Hall, who set the school's career record for passing efficiency.

UNT struggled offensively last season with a pair of inexperienced quarterbacks but is hoping to get back on track this year.

Ultimately, Flanigan hopes to take the next step toward his goal of becoming a head coach. The last two years he was invited to attend a NCAA symposium for minority coaching candidates.

"I thought Ramon would be a good coach if that is what he wanted to do," said Mike Wade, Flanigan's offensive coordinator at SMU. "He has the intangibles as far as leadership qualities and is competitive. He will make a good head coach some day."

WINNING WITH FLANIGAN

Ramon Flanigan has played a key role in several memorable seasons as a player at SMU and as a coach at UNT. He was the starting quarterback in SMU's 28-14 victory the last time the teams played in 1992. Here's the rundown of his contributions:

AT SMU

Year Record Role

1997 6-5 Split time at QB, threw for 555 yards and rushed for 422

AT UNT

Year Record Role

2001 5-7 QBs coach for co-SBC champions

2002 8-5 Offensive coordinator for SBC, New Orleans Bowl champs

2003 9-4 Offensive coordinator for SBC champions

2004 7-5 Offensive coordinator for SBC champions

SMU (0-1) at North Texas (0-1), 6:05 p.m., today. KWRD-FM 100.7, KTCK-AM 1310, KNTU-FM 88.1 (Denton)

Edited by NT80

UNT's Flanigan hopes to beat alma mater

Former SMU quarterback admits having added motivation for contest

10:11 PM CDT on Friday, September 8, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON ­ Ramon Flanigan has yelled more at practice and has slept less the past few days.

It's only the second week of the season, but for North Texas' offensive coordinator today's game against SMU at Fouts Field is more than another non-conference affair. It's an opportunity for Flanigan to face his alma mater for the first time as a coach and prove how far he has come since he was the Mustangs' quarterback.

"I would like to say that it's just another game, but I'd be lying," Flanigan said. "There is added incentive because there are a lot of people I want to show that I am doing a good job."

Oh, pleeezeee! When I read that artcle, I immediately threw it in the trash, after shredding it first. All I need is another reminder of what a complete jerk Ramon is!

UNT and SMU haven't played since 1992, when Flanigan was a freshman who led the Mustangs to a 28-14 win. If it wasn't for an injury he suffered during that game, Flanigan might never have had the chance to show those traits as a coach.

Entering the game as the backup quarterback, Flanigan rifled a touchdown pass to Brian Berry on his first attempt. But his season ended on his next attempt when he tore ligaments in his thumb.

He was granted a medical redshirt, a reprieve that helped pave his way to UNT.

Flanigan came back from the injury and played his final season under offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey, who was with the Mustangs for one season.

Dickey changed SMU's offense from a wide-open passing attack to a run-oriented scheme and rotated Flanigan with another quarterback. That season the Mustangs finished 6-5.

"Ramon is as smart a quarterback as I have ever coached," said Dickey, who was hired as the UNT coach in 1998. "The way he handled himself with the transition in style of offenses, sharing the job and helping lead us from a 1-4 start to the only winning season SMU has had since the death penalty, are the reasons I decided to hire him as a coach."

Flanigan has quickly risen through the ranks at UNT, moving from quarterbacks coach to become one of the youngest offensive coordinators in Division I-A at 27 in 2002.

"He has always been very innovative, understands how to package plays and adjusts when a player goes down or to situations in games," Dickey said.

With Flanigan on staff, the Mean Green won four straight Sun Belt Conference titles from 2001-04. He also was key to the development of Scott Hall, who set the school's career record for passing efficiency.

UNT struggled offensively last season with a pair of inexperienced quarterbacks but is hoping to get back on track this year.

Ultimately, Flanigan hopes to take the next step toward his goal of becoming a head coach. The last two years he was invited to attend a NCAA symposium for minority coaching candidates.

"I thought Ramon would be a good coach if that is what he wanted to do," said Mike Wade, Flanigan's offensive coordinator at SMU. "He has the intangibles as far as leadership qualities and is competitive. He will make a good head coach some day."

WINNING WITH FLANIGAN

Ramon Flanigan has played a key role in several memorable seasons as a player at SMU and as a coach at UNT. He was the starting quarterback in SMU's 28-14 victory the last time the teams played in 1992. Here's the rundown of his contributions:

AT SMU

Year  Record  Role 

1997  6-5  Split time at QB, threw for 555 yards and rushed for 422 

AT UNT

Year  Record  Role 

2001  5-7  QBs coach for co-SBC champions 

2002  8-5  Offensive coordinator for SBC, New Orleans Bowl champs 

2003  9-4  Offensive coordinator for SBC champions 

2004  7-5  Offensive coordinator for SBC champions 

SMU (0-1) at North Texas (0-1), 6:05 p.m., today. KWRD-FM 100.7, KTCK-AM 1310, KNTU-FM 88.1 (Denton)