Worth the journey

mgsteve

Sherman Herald Democrat

Worth the journey

By Bill Spinks

Herald Democrat

DENTON — The common thread between North Texas and Southern Methodist spans more than just the 35-mile distance between the two campuses. Even though it’s been 14 years since the schools have played a football game against each other, there are plenty of connections. UNT head coach Darrell Dickey was SMU’s offensive coordinator in 1997; while the Mean Green’s fifth-year offensive coordinator, Ramon Flanigan, helped the Mustangs to their last win against UNT as a freshman in 1992.

The connections don’t stop there.

Hayden Fry, a College Hall of Fame coach, coached SMU for 11 seasons before leaving for Denton, where he coached for six more. That doesn’t take into account the players from both sides who, in high school, were teammates as well as opponents.

So what took so long for the natural rivalries between UNT, SMU and also-neighboring Texas Christian to resume after lo these many years?

“There’s no question that SMU, TCU and North Texas should play,” Dickey said. “We should play in all sports. There are some reasons that the other people have not to do it, and those are their reasons. I don’t think they’re right.”

Sophomore Daniel Meager, concussed during practice two weeks ago, is expected to play at quarterback Saturday night for the Mean Green when the Mustangs visit 30,500-seat Fouts Field for what many expect to be the stadium’s first complete sellout since its expansion in the mid-1990s.

“I think everybody on North Texas is looking forward to that game,” said Meager, a Richardson Pearce graduate. “I grew up maybe 10 minutes down the road from SMU and went to a lot of their football games. I’m excited about it. I’s going to be fun.”

Meager, who has had at least one previous concussion according to Dickey, sat out last Saturday’s 56-7 drubbing at Texas.. Dickey said Meager’s symptoms have disappeared and he has been cleared by team trainers to play.

In last Saturday’s opener in Austin, the Mean Green’s mistakes did more to spell defeat than Texas’ dominance, Dickey said.

“It was our own mistakes that kept us from moving the ball,” he said, rattling off a litany of defensive and special teams mistakes to boot. “Eight (net) yards rushing is not close to what we want. We had breakdowns checking plays by our quarterbacks, and positive plays we had negated by negative plays.”

This week brings a different sort of challenge. The Mustangs, who were “one bad call away from a bowl game,” according to Dickey, possess a senior-laden defense and is led on offense by redshirt freshman Justin Willis, who will be returning to his hometown when the former Ryan High star makes his second career collegiate start.

“Any time two teams play and there’s some familiarity, there’s some excitement,” Dickey said. “The players on our team know the players on their team. Any time that happens, it makes for a competitive and exciting situation.”

If nothing else, the expected sellout at Fouts on Saturday — and the expected one at the Hilltop next fall when the Mean Green make a return visit — argues against the necessity of playing “money games” against top-ranked teams against which neither have a chance of competing.

“Everybody sits around talking about finances,” Dickey said. “But then you go play games all over the country. When we play SMU, whether we play in Dallas or we play here, both teams’ fans will be able to be at the game very easily.”

And why do you hate SMU?

before this goes down this path of despair, into depths of utter beat-down oblivion over all the perceived in justices we have had to bear for the last 10, 15, 20, 25 years, let me say that not everyone hates SMU. I have a brother that is currently a student at SMU and I have heard nothing but good things about his professors and the campus in general. some of the people I have encountered from SMU have admittedly sucked, but the same can be said about many institutions in this great state.

I want to beat SMU because it is a regional rival, a C-USA opponent, and an out of conference game. It is also the first step towards a winning season. If given the choice, I'd take probably a loss to SMU and a win over any Big 12 team, as I just dont view SMU as a "big deal". no offense.

I will let everyone who is more qualified speak to the hate that apparently missed me (as well as everyone else I know) while in school from 99-03.

Edited by Eagle1855