Mean Green psyched to take on Ponies

MeanGreen61

Mean Green psyched to take on Ponies

UNT, SMU haven't squared off since 1992

10:43 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 6, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Long before he began his career at North Texas, Daniel Meager spent his fall afternoons sitting in the stands at Ford Stadium watching SMU.

The Mustangs were an obvious choice for a team to follow for Meager, a former Richardson Pearce quarterback who lived just down the road from the SMU campus.

Meager is just one of several Dallas-area players who will face off against a familiar team — and in some cases some old friends — when UNT takes on SMU at 6 p.m. on Saturday at Fouts Field.

The game will mark the first meeting between the teams since 1992.

“It means a whole lot to play SMU,” Meager said. “I went to a lot of their games. One year I made it to every home game they had. This game is a big deal to me and all the guys on the team.”

UNT recruits Texas and Oklahoma almost exclusively, while SMU’s roster is also loaded with players from Texas.

The recruiting tactics of both schools have set up several interesting matchups, including one that will have UNT junior running back Deavin Cox facing off with his old high school teammate, Chris Phillips, who is now playing tight end for the Mustangs.

“I have a couple of friends on the team,” Cox said. “Chris was my quarterback in high school. We still talk every once in a while, although we are not as close as we were in high school. It will be a great opportunity to play him and SMU.”

The ties UNT shares with SMU have added to the buzz both in Denton and Dallas about a game that is expected to challenge the Fouts Field attendance record of 29,437 for the Mean Green’s win over Baylor in 2003.

The top four UNT games in terms of attendance in Fouts Field history all came when the Mean Green faced an in-state rival.

“There is no question any time two teams play and there is some familiarity it adds a little excitement,” UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said. “There probably won’t have to be a lot of speeches made this week to get anybody excited.”

That excitement has extended beyond just the members of both teams. Several Mean Green players said they have been asked about the game around campus and in Denton this week.

“I think there is a buzz about this game,” Meager said. “You could tell when the schedule came out and people were talking about it and asking about it. I am glad we are getting this opportunity — a lot of us are.”

UNT’s players are well aware of what a win would mean to the program after a down 2005 season that saw the Mean Green finish 2-9. UNT has dropped seven straight games since knocking off Florida International in the fifth week of last season.

UNT also went winless at Fouts Field in 2005. A victory could help the Mean Green get back on track.

“There is definitely a chance to get a buzz going about this team if we win,” Cox said. “We didn’t have a home win last year, so it would be a nice way to get it started at home, getting a win against a team from right down the road.”

While resuming its series with SMU will create a buzz, it will also put added pressure on UNT.

The challenge is one the Mean Green say they are ready to face.

“It does not make a difference that there is a buzz about this game,” Cox said. “You prepare the same every week. But it’s a team that is just right down the road and the stadium will have a few more fans. It will make us more motivated and fired up for the game.”

Dickey to pick starter today; Meager ready to go

North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey said Wednesday that the Mean Green’s coaching staff would pick a starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against SMU during its meetings this morning.

“As of right now I don’t foresee changing anything about our rotation, but we will meet offensively [today] to discuss if there will be any changes in the rotation at any position, including quarterback,” Dickey said.

Dickey said sophomore Daniel Meager will be in consideration for the start after a solid week of practice.

Meager said he felt 100 percent healthy Tuesday after his first practice since recovering from a concussion that kept him out of the Mean Green’s loss to Texas.

Sophomore Matt Phillips started against the Longhorns, while junior Woody Wilson came off the bench to lead the Mean Green on their only scoring drive of the day.

“As of right now I don’t foresee changing anything about our rotation, but we will meet offensively [today] to discuss if there will be any changes in the rotation at any position, including quarterback,” Dickey said.

Dickey said sophomore Daniel Meager will be in consideration for the start after a solid week of practice.

mad.gifmad.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

The ties UNT shares with SMU have added to the buzz both in Denton and Dallas about a game that is expected to challenge the Fouts Field attendance record of 29,437 for the Mean Green’s win over Baylor in 2003.

The top four UNT games in terms of attendance in Fouts Field history all came when the Mean Green faced an in-state rival.

That's why we need in CUSA...ASAP.

Who did they end up picking?

Please say Woody

Please say Woody

Please say Woody

Please say Woody

Please say Woody

Please say Woody

Please say Woody

Mad Hatter, your chant is very carefully chosen and worded and a helluva' lot better than chanting:

I Want Woody! blink.gif

But come on folks, keep a perspective here? 1 winnning season in 2 decades?

I just don't get it with many of our fans (sometimes) and maybe that's why there have been no real viable movements from our NT Exes and Mean Green fan base to insist to NT administration on having personel who can deliver to us more than just lipservice but a visibly noticeable better athletic program (15,000 seats available most home games?) AND an athletic program...........at a higher profile than we've seen in a long time. This group presently at UNT can pretty well say and do most anything they damn well please (Fouts Mouthin' Off To Fans in the Stands-Gate) and almost dare some of you to challenge what they've been doing and plan to do for a long time in Denton (till the Big 12 comes a-callin', of course). wink.gif

And...........is Brett Vito the new president of the Mean Green Club? Does he have an NT football media guide and better yet.............has he read his NT football media guide to see who DD has won against to, uh, pad rolleyes.gif his "W" column as NT coach (but still be way too many games under .500 for a coach who is in his 9'th year at an NCAA D1-A school)?

But in all fairness to Vito, I wager that UNT athletic officials would go death and dumb with him if he were to really report what he probably really sees happening in Mean Green Country. So keep those PollyAnna MG sports columns a-comin', Brett. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm-I haven't seen you forever.  I remember my Dad telling me all the crazy things you and he did as kids.  I hope to sit with you in God's chosen section at Fouts;  Lower section E  50 yard line.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Yes, Joe, I go way back for a 56 year old, but I think you have me confused with my own late father! rolleyes.gif

I will miss my first Mean Green football home season opener in 33 years and thats all I am going to say about that. Have a good time, though, and pull for a Mean Green football team who I feel deserve better coaching. But nevertheless, do keep my spot warm so when we have a brighter "higher profile" future with personel (across the board) who have the skins and proven ability to make that future brighter (and hopefully at a new venue) then I'll see you and the gang again. sad.gif

We Can Do Better.........

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Oh Sh*t! I bet Meager starts. My stomach is churning. Guess we'll have to go 2 or more quarters with no points again, and then he can bring Woody to clean it up. Hopefully, it won't be too late. I had a funny thought while typing this, do think when Bomar expressed interest in UNT, DD responded, "I'll let you try out for the position."

Edited by chrisfisher