Best and Worst from game

kj86

Bad news first.

Worst

1) Tackling - far and away the worst aspect of the game.

2) 4th quarter meltdown - penalties, turnovers, muffed kick returns

3) Offensive line didn't make trip to Austin

Best

1) No turnovers 'til 4th quarter

2) Woody

3) The team with green helmets ran some pass plays

Best:

- Score was only 56 - 7 -- could have been worse

- No major injuries that I know of

- Wilson looked good at QB

Worst:

- Still no answer for 8-9 in the box defense -- we'll see it all year until our Off. Coordinator comes up with a scheme to make defenses pay

- O-line appeared to be confused at times -- guess it's hard to block 8-9 guys

- Blocked FG attempt - not a good thing.

Anyone want to bet Meager starts next week?

If he can move the ball better than Wlison-Phillips.

Hell Yes, I want Meager to start.

I don't care if Scottie or Johnny McDowell start at QB, as long as they move the F'n chains and put points on the board.

If he can move the ball better than Wlison-Phillips.

Hell Yes, I want Meager to start.

I don't care if Scottie or Johnny McDowell start at QB, as long as they move the F'n chains and put points on the board.

Well, I've seen both play..................Johnny "Mac" can fling that football with great accuracy 50 yards and up..........Scottie has more touch and finesse with the short passes but can be just as effective..........Would have been interesting to see both alternate series to see who could have been better at handing the ball off to our Mean Green RB's. rolleyes.gif

Glad there were (apparently) no major injuries.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Best:

JQ kept his consecutive reception streak alive

Woody Wilson actually moved the team at times

Team speed is good. This was a superfast Texas team.

Improved defense that should get better with experience

Defensive line didn't get pushed around like last year

No fumbled exchanges

Good effort until the fourth quarter

Worst:

The offensive line. Even when they blocked well they left big gaps for linebackers to shoot through.

The kicking game although punting got better as the game wore on

Lack of concentration penalties

Negative yards rushing

UT has far superior talent but we tried hard for most of the game. All of their talent was national, state or area Top 100 and I didn't see any busts although I'd guess that they occasionally have one.

Bad

1. Tackling was horrible. Actually, it was no existant. You would think we would know how to do that by the first game.

2. Discipline....I see NOTHING has changed.

3. Rushing yards....for a team that doesn't know how to pass, one would think we could finish with more than -8 yards for the game. This is a truely amazing stat of the game.

4. Future recruits had to be excited watching that thing.

Good

1. UT only scored 56.

2. Had a QB show signs he has been on a football field (though he probably won't start a game this season).

3. Got $300,000 for playing the game.

Good

1. I saw some adjustments on both the offense and defense after the half. Looked like a different blocking scheme out there on the drive Woody had.

2. Woody Wilson. I was a Phillips fan, and I still think he can get it together, but I saw a lot of improvement from Woody as the game progressed. He made better decisions on when to throw and when to run, and his scrambling ability is pretty nice.

3. Hearing lots of positives about North Texas. Mac Brown and the announcers all had pretty positive things to say. I liked when the announcers mentioned the state-of-the-art facilities at North Texas and how our recruiting was only going to continue getting better.

4. We scored.

Best,

a lengthy drive for a TD.

J. Chapman (#90) did great in the first half

too many tackles by the DB's

I didn't get a sunstroke

I didn't get into an altercation with either a UT fan or.........anyone else.

Worst

TACKLING, why did our defense think that just hitting J Charles and S. Young hard would knock them down? Those guys get hit by B-12 defenses all the time and don't go down easily. DOESN'T ANYONE AT NT PRACTICE THAT OLD FASHIONED TECHNIQUE CALLED WRAPPING UP, ANY MORE?

Maybe I look at the passing game differently.

The first 2 series of the game I did not recognize the team in white. They were passing all over the place...and it didn't seem to go very well. 3 and out the first series on all passes and 3 and a blocked FG on several passes. Very little running early on for North Texas.

The 80 yard drive finished with a pass play, but it was setup by the runs by Jamario. THAT is the correct use of the passing game. Get the other team thinking RUN and suprise them with a pass.