DRC NT set to battle defending champs

OldTimer

: UNT set to battle defending champs

Memories fresh for RB Thomas on last trip to Austin

09:41 PM CDT on Friday, September 1, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Of all the memories Jamario Thomas has of his decorated career, his introduction to college football ranks near the bottom of his list of highlights.

Thomas carried the ball twice and was drilled just after he took the handoff each time in a 65-0 loss to Texas two years ago.

“I remember that first carry, and the cannon shooting off left and right, ” said Thomas, who lost a yard on two carries. “Hopefully, it doesn’t go off as many times this year.”

Jamario Thomas

There weren’t a whole lot of memorable moments the last time the Mean Green journeyed south to Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

Thomas and UNT will have a shot at a better showing against the Longhorns this morning in Austin.

Thomas is one of several holdovers from UNT’s last team to play in Austin and is perhaps the Mean Green’s player who has grown the most in the two years since.

He came to UNT as arguably the most decorated recruit in coach Darrell Dickey’s nine-year tenure and has ridden an emotional rollercoaster ever since.

The highs included winning the national rushing title as a freshman before he came crashing down to the low of battling injuries throughout his sophomore season. Thomas finished with just 361 rushing yards in 2005 and sat out the Mean Green’s last three games of the year.

“I have changed a lot since then,” Thomas said of his first college game. “I am more mature and know the offense. I even know the signals from the sidelines for plays. It’s a lot easier now.”

The rest of UNT’s players can sense the change in Thomas, who has dropped 10-15 pounds since last season and is more aware of the work he needs to do to be successful.

“Jamario is excited and we are excited to have him back,” UNT offensive lineman Joel Foster said. “This is another chance for him to show what he can do. He is a lot more experienced and knows the system better. He has put a lot of energy and effort into improving.”

Dickey expects the Mean Green’s previous trip to Austin to pay dividends for all of his veteran players, not just Thomas, because they will be used to what can be an overwhelming environment.

Memorial Stadium will be packed with more than 85,000 fans when the Longhorns and their new Godzillatron video replay board will make their debut. The replay board is 134 feet wide by 55 feet tall and costs $8 million.

“What we try to tell our players is that they are going to be nervous and excited,” Dickey said. “The first 15 minutes of warm-ups, instead of concentrating on what they should be doing they are going to be looking in the stands and at the Godzillatron. … Our older guys in the past have done a good job of talking to our guys about dealing with the environment and getting them to settle down and play.”

UNT is hoping to handle the challenge better this time than they did in 2004 when Texas ran away with the game early on.

“I get sick when I think about the last Texas game,” UNT senior defensive lineman Sky Pruitt said. “That was not our game. It’s in the past. We aren’t even thinking about it.”

UNT is still a decided underdog against the Longhorns, but a few of the Mean Green’s players like Thomas know better what to expect the second time around in Austin.

UNT is hoping that experience will be enough to make their first game against the Longhorns since that landslide loss a lot closer.

“We want to go out there, have fun and show what we can do,” Thomas said. “All the teams in the Sun Belt are trying to show that we have some good players.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Colt McCoy followed Vince Young everywhere he went last year with one thought running through his mind as Texas made its run to the national championship.

Next year, that could be me.

As it turns out, McCoy’s suspicions will prove correct today when the redshirt freshman starts for the Longhorns against North Texas in their first game since knocking off USC in the Rose Bowl.

McCoy beat out freshman Jevan Snead for the job in fall practice, although Snead is expected to play against the Mean Green.

“Everywhere I went last year, I thought, ‘If Vince leaves, this is going to be me. This is going to be what I experience for the next four years when I take over,’” McCoy said. “So I got myself mentally prepared for this year.”

Those preparations paid off when Young jumped to the NFL, leaving McCoy atop the depth chart.

UNT endured the challenges of playing without an experienced quarterback last season and suffered. The Mean Green had won four straight Sun Belt Conference titles heading into the 2005 season, but saw the streak come to an end in a 2-9 season.

UNT ranked last in the Sun Belt in both passing yards and passing efficiency while juggling Daniel Meager and Matt Phillips at quarterback. McCoy will have the advantage of having a top-10 caliber team around him, a luxury UNT’s young quarterbacks didn’t have last season.

Texas returns seven offensive starters from last season’s national championship team, including three senior offensive linemen.

Both McCoy and Snead will have a chance to show that they can capitalize on that experience and move Texas’ offense.

“Colt will be the starter, but we would like to get some game experience for Jevan,” Texas coach Mack Brown said. “We are not going in with a plan because they usually change when you get to game time. We are excited about both quarterbacks. Colt had a tremendous camp and has really improved since spring.”

That improvement has helped McCoy gain the trust of his teammates and coaches, not to mention a chance to take over for Young.

“It excites me,” McCoy said. “I’m in the position I’ve wanted to be in my whole life. I’ve dreamed about it. I’ve been around the game forever. I’ve prayed about it.

“It’s going to be awesome.”

Dallas Morning News Staff Writer Chip Brown contributed to this report.

What’s at stake: North Texas can build momentum for a key game against SMU next week with a solid showing against Texas on the road. The Longhorns beat UNT 65-0 the last time the Mean Green were in Austin two years ago. UNT would like to improve on that performance and start to answer several questions that have lingered from fall practice, including how to handle its quarterback situation and who will step forward at tight end. Texas is expected to be in the hunt for another BCS bowl berth and will be looking to sort out its own quarterback situation with Colt McCoy making his first start and freshman Jevan Sneed coming off the bench.

Offense

North Texas has several of its key skill position players back, including 2004 national rushing champion Jamario Thomas, and senior wide receiver Johnny Quinn. Thomas could be in for a big year after injuries hampered him in 2005, but questions remain about Quinn’s status. The senior will try to play with a broken left hand he suffered in preseason practice. Texas returns all but four of its defensive starters from a team that won the national title a year ago. The Mean Green should see plenty of former Ryan standout Derek Lokey, who is expected to start on the Longhorns defensive line.

Defense

North Texas’ new 3-4 base defense will make its debut against the Longhorns. The Mean Green struggled defensively last season when UNT allowed an average of 31.5 points a game. Safety Aaron Weathers and a strong corps of linebackers, including junior Maurice Holman, are expected to lead UNT. Texas lost quarterback Vince Young, but is still loaded with running backs Selvin Young and Jamaal Charles leading the way.

Coaching

North Texas coach Darrell Dickey appears rejuvenated after rough season that included a 2-9 finish and a series of health problems that led to the discovery that he is diabetic. The four-time Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year is looking to get the Mean Green back to the top of the league while also gaining respect outside of it. Texas coach Mack Brown finally shed the label of a coach who can’t win the big game last season when the Longhorns won the national title. Texas is expected to challenge for the title again this season if Brown and his staff can find a way to quickly develop young quarterbacks Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead.

Key matchups

UNT RB JAMARIO THOMAS vs. TEXAS LB RASHAD BOBINO

If North Texas is to stay within striking distance of Texas and make its showdown with the Longhorns respectable, Thomas will have to lead the way.

The junior won the national rushing title in 2004 and has the ability to break a long run on anyone, including the Longhorns. Thomas will get plenty of opportunities against Texas in head coach Darrell Dickey’s run-first offense that will feature a new starting quarterback in sophomore Matt Phillips. Returning starter Daniel Meager is out with a concussion.

UNT could also look to run the ball more with senior wide receiver Johnny Quinn nursing a broken left hand.

The game will offer Thomas an opportunity to show that he has recovered from the injury problems that hampered him last season and caused him to miss the last three games of the year.

Thomas has appears to have regained the form he showed as a freshman in preseason practices.

UNT RB SELVIN YOUNG vs. TEXAS LB MAURICE HOLMAN

Texas is facing the same situation UNT took on last year with a pair of inexperienced quarterbacks. Redshirt freshman Colt McCoy is set to start for the Longhorns, while freshman Jevan Snead is also expected to play. Both will try to fill the shoes of Vince Young, the quarterback who led the Longhorns to the national championship last season.

Texas’ inexperience at quarterback will make the ability of UNT’s linebackers to slow down the Longhorns running game critical.

Texas will pound the ball at the Mean Green with Selvin Young and Jamaal Charles to try and ease McCoy into his first college game.

Holman will start at inside linebacker for UNT and is one of the Mean Green’s best run-stoppers. The junior finished third among UNT players with 86 tackles last season. Outside linebacker Phillip Graves finished second with 93, but will miss the Texas game with a knee injury.