NT,Texas face off

MeanGreen61

NT, Texas face off

Game marks ninth meeting between teams

Michael Prescott

Issue date: 9/1/06 Section: SPORTS

The Mean Green football team is headed to Austin to face off against the defending national champions Texas Longhorns Saturday at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The 2006 season opener will mark the third time in the past five years that the two teams have met on opening day.

NT will return 17 starters who hope to pull the team out of a 2-9 slump from the 2005 season. Many of the problems faced by last year's team can be related to the young team that was out on the field. NT will return with nine starters to the offensive side of the ball and eight to the defensive side. This experience is exactly what the team will need to keep it close against the Longhorns.

"We've got a great team this year," said head football coach Darrell Dickey. "We have experience at every position, and I look for this year to be a turnaround season for our guys."

In order for NT to win this ball game, the team will need to find consistency in the passing game. The Mean Green will start a quarterback with playing experience, which is something the offense lacked last season. Woody Wilson, Matt Phillips and Daniel Meager will all be looking down field trying to find that open receiver in the end zone.

Hoping to be on the receiving end of the ball will be senior Johnny Quinn and junior Brandon Jackson. Quinn, who has a 36-game reception streak on the line, could be the game changer for the Mean Green. After leading NT in receptions for two straight years, Quinn has come to be a force on the offensive side of the ball.

The ground game will also be crucial for NT. Junior Jamario Thomas will be called upon to take some of the pressure off the quarterback with his elusive running attack. Thomas will take on the bulk of the running plays with senior James Mitchell leading the way at fullback. Mitchell helped pave the way for former NT running back Patrick Cobbs who went on to rush for 1,154 yards in 2005.

"Right now we have to make sure to hold on to the ball," Dickey said. "Everyone is looking good out there, but we just have to hold on to the ball."

Running the ball won't come easy for the Mean Green, as it faces one of the toughest defenses in the nation. The Longhorn defense - who only allowed an average of 302 yards in 2005 - will try to shut down Thomas at all costs. If the ground game looks to factor into the game the job will be up to offensive linemen Dylan Lineberry, Joel Foster and Chad Rose. The three will have their hands full with Texas defensive ends Tim Crowder and Frank Okam.

The NT defense will have the responsibility of shutting down Texas redshirt freshman Colt McCoy, who was recently handed the starting job. This may be NT's only edge over the defending national champs, as McCoy has never played in a college game. Getting to the quarterback will be the job of senior linebacker Phillip Graves and junior linebackers Brandon Monroe and Maurice Holman. If these three can wreak havoc in the backfield, it could spell a long day for McCoy.

Saturday's game will mark the ninth time the two teams will face off against each other since 1976. Texas won the eight previous meetings, but this year's Mean Green team looks to change all that.

"It's just another game," Dickey said. "They're a great team, there's no denying that, but we're not concerned with what happened in the past."

If the ground game looks to factor into the game the job will be up to offensive linemen Dylan Lineberry, Joel Foster and Chad Rose. The three will have their hands full with Texas defensive ends Tim Crowder and Frank Okam.

Okam is a DT. They will need to account for Robison and Crowder, with Orakpo backing them up.

I would assume that, as head coach, he was at all scrimmages & workouts. cool.gif

DD gets hammered for being negative and now he's questioned for making a positive statement about the team ph34r.gif

Actions speak louder than words; I guess we'll find out tomorrow........ ph34r.gif

Edited by NT80

The team doesn't look anywhere as bad as last year. Last August's two a days had me genuinely worried. And, while I don't think that this year's team is quite as dominant as it was in 2002-2004 years, it is certainly moving back that direction.

I think the tools are there to beat Texas, especially with a freshman QB. The question to me is more of can we stay mentally focused enough to properly utilize those tools. The other guys are a little bigger, a little faster, a little stronger. All that does is reduce the number of mistakes we can make, and force us to play more solidly. Of course they have depth, but they can only have 11 guys on the field at a time.

Johnny Quinn runs a 4.42 40. That's fast, even at Texas. Shoot, Vince Young only ran a 4.5 something, and everyone always talked about him running away from defenses. Joel Nwigwe and Brandon Jackson have great deep speed, and Zach Muzzy works the 5-15 yard routes as well as any guy on the team.

Jamario Thomas hung 250 on a pretty good Colorado defense. He's a low 4.40s guy, too, and, given a sliver of daylight, will make you pay.

Aaron Weathers, Maurice Holman, and Brandon Monroe have shown that they can take advantage of poorly thrown passes, and Issac Thomas has made a habit out of getting into the backfield.

Our defensive secodary, though young, is as athletic as any I can remember, and can really run and fly to the ball. We can go three deep at corner without much of a dropoff.

Dylan Lineberry is an NFL caliber offensive lineman, and could play for any team in the country.

Matt Phillips can get the ball down the field, and Woody Wilson is fast enough to force the defense to adjust to his running threat ability.

Come on, guys. Don't tell me that we have nothing in the bag. We have talent, and we have ability. There's speed and brawn, intelligence and passion in that team. I'm not saying that winning is a sure thing, but neither is losing. When it comes down to it, there are pieces to work with at every position, and all it will come down to is the ability of the team to play within themselves, not make costly mistakes, and take what the defense gives them. Any team in the country can do those things against any other team... WE can do that against any team in the country, because they don't have anything to do with the other guys. A ball must not be protected to be fumbled. An interception must be thrown poorly. Protection must first break down for there to be a sack or a blocked kick. If you do do everything that you can, and don't lose your focus, it doesn't matter if it is Lollygag High School or the New England Patriots lining up across from you. Winning is within your own grasp.

I packed my North Texas gear to wear to the A&M game this weekend (I'm going to visit my friend) if we win. Not saying that I'm planning on a win, but I believe enough to prepare for it.

Go Mean Green. BTHOOtU

The team doesn't look anywhere as bad as last year.  Last August's two a days had me genuinely worried.  And, while I don't think that this year's team is quite as dominant as it was in 2002-2004 years, it is certainly moving back that direction.

I think the tools are there to beat Texas, especially with a freshman QB.  The question to me is more of can we stay mentally focused enough to properly utilize those tools.  The other guys are a little bigger, a little faster, a little stronger.  All that does is reduce the number of mistakes we can make, and force us to play more solidly.  Of course they have depth, but they can only have 11 guys on the field at a time.

Johnny Quinn runs a 4.42 40.  That's fast, even at Texas.  Shoot, Vince Young only ran a 4.5 something, and everyone always talked about him running away from defenses.  Joel Nwigwe and Brandon Jackson have great deep speed, and Zach Muzzy works the 5-15 yard routes as well as any guy on the team.

Jamario Thomas hung 250 on a pretty good Colorado defense.  He's a low 4.40s guy, too, and, given a sliver of daylight, will make you pay.

Aaron Weathers, Maurice Holman, and Brandon Monroe have shown that they can take advantage of poorly thrown passes, and Issac Thomas has made a habit out of getting into the backfield.

Our defensive secodary, though young, is as athletic as any I can remember, and can really run and fly to the ball.  We can go three deep at corner without much of a dropoff.

Dylan Lineberry is an NFL caliber offensive lineman, and could play for any team in the country.

Matt Phillips can get the ball down the field, and Woody Wilson is fast enough to force the defense to adjust to his running threat ability.

Come on, guys.  Don't tell me that we have nothing in the bag.  We have talent, and we have ability.  There's speed and brawn, intelligence and passion in that team.  I'm not saying that winning is a sure thing, but neither is losing.  When it comes down to it, there are pieces to work with at every position, and all it will come down to is the ability of the team to play within themselves, not make costly mistakes, and take what the defense gives them.  Any team in the country can do those things against any other team... WE can do that against any team in the country, because they don't have anything to do with the other guys.  A ball must not be protected to be fumbled.  An interception must be thrown poorly.  Protection must first break down for there to be a sack or a blocked kick.  If you do do everything that you can, and don't lose your focus, it doesn't matter if it is Lollygag High School or the New England Patriots lining up across from you.  Winning is within your own grasp.

I packed my North Texas gear to wear to the A&M game this weekend (I'm going to visit my friend) if we win.  Not saying that I'm planning on a win, but I believe enough to prepare for it.

Go Mean Green.  BTHOOtU

Good write up on why not to give up on this team. Another couple of reasons to be excited about the future of the team: 1. We have 39 players returning next year off the two-deep roster (and that doesn't include Josh Alexander with his injury and Eddrick Gilmore who is practicing with the team and working on eligibliity). THAT IS AN ASTOUNDING NUMBER FOR A D-I PROGRAM! Even better, 13 of these are freshmen and 10 are sophomores. 2: We have, by all reports, the BEST freshman class since at least the Taylor Casey-Cody Spencer-Buckles era. I have been told that there isn't a single "bust" in this group and that most will be starters at some point and several will be all-conference or better.

This team may start out slower than we like, but we will see the glimmerings of true greatness before the season is over and next year we should be odds on favorites to win the Belt outright.

Pardon my green glasses. I'm aware of the difficulties we may have starting off this year, but the future looks pretty good to me. We probably have more true athletes than we have had in a long time and they will be around for awhile.

Good write up on why not to give up on this team. Another couple of reasons to be excited about the future of the team: 1. We have 39 players returning next year off the two-deep roster (and that doesn't include Josh Alexander with his injury and Eddrick Gilmore who is practicing with the team and working on eligibliity). THAT IS AN ASTOUNDING NUMBER FOR A D-I PROGRAM! Even better, 13 of these are freshmen and 10 are sophomores. 2: We have, by all reports, the BEST freshman class since at least the Taylor Casey-Cody Spencer-Buckles era. I have been told that there isn't a single "bust" in this group and that most will be starters at some point and several will be all-conference or better.

This team may start out slower than we like, but we will see the glimmerings of true greatness before the season is over and next year we should be odds on favorites to win the Belt outright.

Pardon my green glasses. I'm aware of the difficulties we may have starting off this year, but the future looks pretty good to me. We probably have more true athletes than we have had in a long time and they will be around for awhile.

All very true. That's why we will win in Norman next year. Mark it. Peterson will leave. Who will be their QB? Good things on the horizon.

Now back to THIS year. Great write up, Illuvius. I hope you are right! Either way, tomorrow cant get here soon enough...

Illuvius,

I'll have some of that green kool-aid. Seriously, do you have any left?

I want to believe. I do. And I'll be there cheering my heart out, but now there is just a pessimistic side of me. 4 years ago I had faith, and held my head high when we left DKR b/c we fought valliantly. 2 years ago I was quite skeptical and rightly so. I left DKR with my head hung low. This year I really don't know what to think. My only hope is that JMo rips off some big runs.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS !!!!!!!!!!!!

All I am saying is that nothing is a done deal, losing OR winning. I think it is ok to say that the deck is stacked against us. Ultimately, though this game will come down to things that we can control, and as long as we keep our heads on straight, and keep from focusing on things we have no influence over, we'll have a shot every single time.

Of that, I am positive.

I think that there's no doubt that UNT is recruiting better athletes, and I think this years team will be stronger, faster and deeper, and more experienced. I think they will bounce back and have a good year this year.

I do however, want to point out that--while UNT is better this year, the UT team they will face tomorrow is MUCH better overall than the UT teams they faced in 2002 and 2004.

I hope if things don't go as well as some expect in Austin tomorrow, that perhaps that's kept in perspective, because the improvement in both squads is relative.

That said, on any given Saturday...anything can happen!

I don't see it either.  I see walk-ons earning full rides, and well earned, but they were not a focus in recruiting and it says we have unused ships or ships given back.

Once they get into camp and can be evaluated, you have a pretty good idea what you have. At that point, it doesn't matter whether they are top 100 nationwide, if they don't have it when they show up. I have heard from two good sources that the coaches are very pleased with what they are seeing from this group and feel like they have done very well with this new class.

In fact, they are really struggling with the fact that they want to redshirt the class, but they are so talented that it is hard to justify not using them. Some, like Drake, Seidle, and Gill are definitely going to be used. Others, like Foster, Owusu-Hemeng, and Ross may be used. Sykes, Santiago,Ridge, Robertson and Krider will be redshirted almost certainly, but have a big future here.

You can't always tell who is really going to "pan out" in the recruiting business. A good example is a kid named Mike Bell, who walked on at the U of Arizona this August and is now the starting tailback. Some highly recruited kids get overwhelmed in their first experience on the college level and don't meet the expectations. Let's see how our guys hold up tomorrow.