The NT Pres Speaks

GrandGreen

Link to NT Daily

Question and answer with NT's new President from NT Daily. Pertinent part below, not exactly a great endorsement of athletics but encouraging.

At New Student Convocation, you said you wanted to bring more national recognition to NT. How will you do that?

Well, you get national recognition in a lot of ways. We could have more national merit scholars. We could have more students who win prestigious awards. We can bring national recognition by having faculty who win awards and to get major grants. We can certainly get it through athletics, and I think we need to look at every part of the institution: the undergraduate level, the graduate students who win prestigious graduate fellowships, faculty, athletics, you can even have an award-winning building. It's really paying attention to everything we do so we're the best at it.

Edited by GrandGreen

She actually stopped by my sister's room as we were moving her in on Sunday Funday. Dr. Bataille is really very nice, and I was impressed that she was spending her day meeting the new students.

I like the fact that she said we should be the best at everything we do. To me, that's an endorsement of athletics and a commitment to improvement.

To me that's an encouraging thing to read. My whole thing during my years at NT has been...Why isn't there a true empahsis put on excelling in all areas of the University (athletics, arts and music, business, education ect)? I fail to see how one program/department's success can be seen as a detriment to the other areas of the University...but somehow at NT it has (seemingly) always been that way.

I like that at least in this particular quote that she is talking about excelling in all areas (athletics included).