Things we have to do this weekend in Austin

calvin

Here are just my thoughts on we have to do to keep things close this Saturday.

1st.) Run clock run, we have to make sure that we make the game as quick as possible......... I know some will hate this but we will have to run a lot and keep the clock moving. I think we need to open up with quick passes, like hitch routes (timing 3 step drop, 5 yard hitch to Quinn or Jackson) or even some quick screens, WR's block and get Quinn or Muzzy in some space. I dont feel confident with play action b/c Phillips is not very fast. Also to make the clock run we cant give up long TD plays, remember the first play that UT ran last time Cedric took it to the house. If they score we have to make them earn it.........Run clock run

2nd.) Strong special teams, we cant get the opening kickoff and take it to the 15 or 20 yard line, we need our return team to get it outside or near the 30 so we can have some room to work. Also we have to have good net punting average, we got to punt it deep and then cover. Kick-off team needs to be solid, if we kick to start out, they dont need to start at the 35 or 40 yard line, we need to cover and hold them around the 20. Take advantage and make field goals, we need to convert every time we have an opportunity to score.

3rd.) Dont lose the turnover battle, it is bound to happen that we will fumble or throw a pick, well we need to get those in return as well. We need someone to make a play. If we turn it over early it could get ugly.

4th.) Take advantage of their inexperience at QB. I say make the QB beat you, McCoy hasnt played in a game in 2 years and their will be pregame jitters, we have to take advantage of that. On the zone read I dont care if he keeps it, he is not Vince Young but I dont want Charles busting out long runs on the zone read plays, make Colt keep it. Blitz him and make him beat us with his arm as well, like i said he is not used to game speed and it will take him a little bit to get used of his throws and his reads...............

I will be watching the game this weekend and will be watching how all 4 of these go. I really think if we do these things we can keep it respectable.

Defensively:

1. DL must cause havoc in the backfield.

2. LB's must hold position, seek and destroy, and obliterate the RB's on pass routes.

3. UT's receivers have to be held up and punished every play.

4. Contain outside.

5. Use the blitz.

Offensively:

1. In short: The OL needs to play lights out, or it will be a long day for the MG.

UNT needs to do these things to stay close...

CONTROL THE CLOCK AND GET GOOD RUN PLAYS

Maintain Charles and Pressure the YOUNG QB

TURNOVERS---Texas does turnover the ball

Special Teams- Muzzy and Quinn good returns to mid-field- then Jamario has long runs for TD's

Maintain Composure throughout the game and play to win...

Remember this UNT fanactics...In 2003:

UNT at Oklahoma----0-27

Oklahoma at Texas--65-13

We have performed better than UT before (recently)

Here are just my thoughts on we have to do to keep things close this Saturday.

1st.)  Run clock run, we have to make sure that we make the game as quick as possible......... I know some will hate this but we will have to run a lot and keep the clock moving.  I think we need to open up with quick passes, like hitch routes (timing 3 step drop, 5 yard hitch to Quinn or Jackson) or even some quick screens, WR's block and get Quinn or Muzzy in some space.  I dont feel confident with play action b/c Phillips is not very fast.  Also to make the clock run we cant give up long TD plays, remember the first play that UT ran last time Cedric took it to the house.  If they score we have to make them earn it.........Run clock run

2nd.)  Strong special teams, we cant get the opening kickoff and take it to the 15 or 20 yard line, we need our return team to get it outside or near the 30 so we can have some room to work.  Also we have to have good net punting average, we got to punt it deep and then cover.  Kick-off team needs to be solid, if we kick to start out, they dont need to start at the 35 or 40 yard line, we need to cover and hold them around the 20.  Take advantage and make field goals, we need to convert every time we have an opportunity to score.

3rd.)  Dont lose the turnover battle, it is bound to happen that we will fumble or throw a pick, well we need to get those in return as well.  We need someone to make a play.  If we turn it over early it could get ugly.

4th.)  Take advantage of their inexperience at QB.  I say make the QB beat you, McCoy hasnt played in a game in 2 years and their will be pregame jitters, we have to take advantage of that.  On the zone read I dont care if he keeps it, he is not Vince Young but I dont want Charles busting out long runs on the zone read plays, make Colt keep it.  Blitz him and make him beat us with his arm as well, like i said he is not used to game speed and it will take him a little bit to get used of his throws and his reads...............

I will be watching the game this weekend and will be watching how all 4 of these go.  I really think if we do these things we can keep it respectable.

I really think we need to be concerned about points 1-3 because:

1. If Quinn plays, I question how effective he can be with a broken hand. Even with a healthy Quinn last year, opponents felt no passing threat. Without a legimate threat to pass, Texas will focus solely on the run. We need to come out with some early passing success if we expect to make any yards on the ground.

2. The scrimmage report someone published the other day indicated that our punters didn't have one punt over 25 yards. If that happens on Saturday, we'll have major problems.

3. Again, scrimmage reports indicate that the center/QB exchange has been less than perfect. What can we expect when we're pinned within our own 10 yard-line and the 80K fans are roaring?

I hope the coaching staff has worked out all of the "kinks" and we play a competitive game that we can all be proud of.

Defense:

As with any football game it's all in the trenches. We might be outgunned here, but I want to see effective blitzing by our LB's to counter that. If we can just make the Texas QB rush his throw a little... He's already excited, we just have to get to him. This will be the same defensive game plan for every Texas opponent until Colt McCoy proves himself. For us, that means the LB position, which we are supposed to be deep at, will have to make big plays. Our LB play is also big b/c during a run you have to fill those gaps!

Offense:

Can our O-line block for JMo and is he back to form? Will Phillips stand in the pocket too long and get blindsided by a Texas DE, or will he throw a perfect strike to Johnny Quinn. And if he does, will he catch it? These questions, and many more, will be answered on the next episode of SOAP! In reality I know what needs to be done, but I've not seen the ability to do it in big games. We need to have a good mix of run and pass. Stay in bounds and run clock. To do that we have to win in the trenches.

Special Teams:

We get screwed by special teams a lot. So does Texas. So how is it, that many of our punters have gone on to NFL careers? Stay away from trick plays, and hang on to the ball.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen, Amen to all the aformentioned men!! Then after we do all that, we can go to "Dirty Martins Kumback Burger" for an awesome milkshake or head on out to "The Oasis" to catch a great view/sunset and a buzz.....er a cold beverage I mean!! Can't forget 6th Street to see all the college coed hotties and weirdos like only Austin can serve up. Austin is my kinda town!!

Regardless, we can rest assured our beloved "Mean Green" and coaching staff will leave their all on the field. We can be very proud of that!! They worked their tails off during "2 a days"!

PS. one other little nugget for a great Austin experience is "Dry Creek Saloon" on Mt. Bonnell road. Not open many hours but when you can catch them open, what a hoot!! No other atmoshpere like it!

hey Zeke!

something about Tune is intriguing. He came from nowhere, ran circles around a 4A MVP (Harrell) in the THSCA All-Star game and didn't even know the spread offense prior to that game. Tune in the All-Star game due to Celina winning State Championship ( Celina coaches selection) vs THSCA selection committee invitee. All state champions get to send a player to that game. Tune is different. My hunch thats all. No inside info.