Quarterback Situation

chrisfisher

My greatest fear was just confirmed after reading the GMG post that Phillips will start, but that Wilson will still see "considerable action." Nothing against Phillips: I am disappointed with DD. DD's quarterback indecision will kill us. Can anyone name a single team in the history of NCAA (or NFL) that a two (or even worse if Meager returns, then three) quarterback situation has worked? Having to look over your shoulder at your every move and knowing you could be yanked anytime drains spontaneity and timing from the QB position. You cannot rely on your instincts and over think each play b/c you fear a mistake - which of course, leads to more mistakes. As I recall, DD expressed similar indecision when faced with the Cobbs/Thomas situation last year. My greatest hope is that I have to post a retraction b/c DD and the Mean Green surprise us all! If I off base here, someone please set me straight b/c I want to have hope for this season!!

My greatest fear was just confirmed after reading the GMG post that Phillips will start, but that Wilson will still see "considerable action."  Nothing against Phillips: I am disappointed with DD.  DD's quarterback indecision will kill us. Can anyone name a single team in the history of NCAA (or NFL) that a two (or even worse if Meager returns, then three) quarterback situation has worked? Having to look over your shoulder at your every move and knowing you could be yanked anytime drains spontaneity and timing from the QB position.  You cannot rely on your instincts and over think each play b/c you fear a mistake - which of course, leads to more mistakes.  As I recall, DD expressed similar indecision when faced with the Cobbs/Thomas situation last year.  My greatest hope is that I have to post a retraction b/c DD and the Mean Green surprise us all!  If I off base here, someone please set me straight b/c I want to have hope for this season!!

Didn't Applewhite and Simms share time and also win a few games?

Those were the years of all the disappointing Holiday Bowl berths too.

Texas wasn't supposed to be playing in the Holiday Bowl every year.  You could say not having a #1 QB was a contributor to.

Disappointing by whose standards? Texas fans or NT fans? What was NT doing at the same time?

My point is you can still be successful as a football team rotating QB's. Clearly Texas has been. The Texas team we will be playing Saturday built a National Championship team through recruiting after those "disappointingl" Holiday Bowl births.

Is it ideal? No. Can it be done? Yep.

Disappointing by whose standards?  Texas fans or NT fans?  What was NT doing at the same time?

My point is you can still be successful as a football team rotating QB's.  Clearly Texas has been.  The Texas team we will be playing Saturday built a National Championship team through recruiting after those "disappointingl" Holiday Bowl births.

Is it ideal?  No.  Can it be done?  Yep.

Lemme see if I follow your logic. Because Texas was winning more games than NT during those years then we should look at things through our standards? Discounting completely the wealth of talent those guys were surrounded by, the vast amounts of money spent on recruting and the expectations that a team like a UT should have that a team like NT should never be saddled with we are to look at things through a NT perspective? Hmmm. Seems to me that, given their resources and where they stand in the food chain of NCAA football, Big Dawg is right in saying they could have achieved more.

Furthermore, are you saying that Texas "built a National Championship team" through rotating quarterbacks? Could it not have more to do with the same embarrasment of recruiting dollars, top flight facilities and one Vincent Young (who by the way was the starter from game 1 through the Rose Bowl)? I doubt very seriously that a two-headed quarterback system was the "building block" of their ascent through the ranks of college football.