R.I.P. Albino Squirrel

MeanGreen61

In memoriam: Albino Squirrel

Hawk kills furry rodent

Amberlee Sterling

Issue date: 8/29/06 Section: NEWS

Nature preyed upon the unnamed albino squirrel around 8 a.m. Monday, Aug. 21 outside the University Union's dock area according to Josh Riffel, Highland Village junior, daytime operations building manager for the University Union.

The culprit, a Red-tailed Hawk, attacked and killed the furry rodent.

Earl Zimmerman, retired faculty member of the biological sciences department, identified the hawk from a photograph taken by Rockwall junior Patrick Enstrom.

Sergio Renovato, League City graduate student and manager of the Syndicate, went to the scene when Riffel told him what happened.

By the time Renovato arrived outside the albino squirrel was dead, and NT police were taking pictures of the squirrel.

Renovato heard that a hawk swooped down and picked up the squirrel, but then dropped it when some students began throwing objects at the bird.

"It's sad that the squirrel met its demise, but you know, this is nature," Renovato said.

When T.J. Zambrano, Denton graduate student and Albino Squirrel Preservation Society president, found out about the incident from a friend's text message, he thought it was a rumor.

"The ASPS has not planned a memorial for the albino 2-year-old creature because we want to make sure it is true first," Zambrano said.

FULL STORY

http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage...gepublisher.com

By the time Renovato arrived outside the albino squirrel was dead, and NT police were taking pictures of the squirrel.

I can see the scene now ... yellow tape to rope off the crime scene and a chalk outline of the squirrel. One day, it might make it as a storyline on the Law and Order series.

Well, the cat is finally out of the bag. 4 years ago, FFRick and I were looking for a crow to shoot so that I would have something to eat in New Orleans to pay up on a so-called bet. Along came this beautiful red hawk, and being an amateur at the art of shooting - I thought the dang thing was a crow! I shot at it as Rick screamed at me - "NO STEBO - THAT IS NOT A CROW!!!!"; but it was too late... I clipped it on the side and Rick and I have been nursing it back to health ever since.

When the squirell thing came up two years ago, we thought it would be funny if Darrell (that is what we call our Red Hawk) - were to get that squirrel out of the way for us. We were both too old for college proanks but we could try to get Darrell to do our deed for us. We have trained him with everything from mice to Rick's son Connor (that was a fun day for Connor!!!) - and finally - the day came - we released Darrell into the wild of the trees of UNT two weeks ago and D has done us proud.

If you are nice, we will bring Darrell out to the games this year... maybe he can fly Connor around the stadium at halftime.

Just envision those last few moments when the Albino Squrrel turned to look up and see the Red Tail Hawk bearing down on him. In those last few moments the Albino One daringly extended the "Finger of Defiance" in the face of impending doom!

Can't we Mean Green fans gain strength from this act this Saturday as the literal "Disembowelment" takes place before our eyes! "Hail to the Albino One!" Shouldn't we support a small monument on campus in honor of the inspiration provided by a UNT campus resident? unsure.gif

This has to be one of the funniest stories I've ever read! It reminds me of the squirrel we saw during my school days. He was stretch out on his belly, arms above his head and legs in the opposite position. He looked like he had been shot in the back. We (other football players I hung with) dubbed it "the acorn jacking." I cannot see a squirrel to this day without laughing.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the best news ever, especially coming at the beginning of football season... Welcome to campus, new red tailed hawk, you are more than welcome to drop by any UNT home football games...LOL.....

The University of North Texas should award the hawk with some kind of honorary degree to show its appreciation of getting rid of this nuisance.....

Remember when the idiots at the ASPS wanted to vote the pathetic squirrel to be our new mascot. Thats what they get in retrurn.....those are the same pathetic losers who voted down the stadium vote a few years back....

If yall are looking for a new leader i saw a couple of snails behind sack n save that look endangered.... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by UNT_playmaker