UNT plans for possility of Quinn's absence

MeanGreen61

UNT plans for possibilty of Quinn's absence in scrimmage

11:36 PM CDT on Saturday, August 26, 2006

Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas began exploring its options should wide receiver Johnny Quinn have to scale back his considerable role with the Mean Green during its final scrimmage of fall practice on Saturday.

Quinn broke his hand during practice on Monday, hasn’t practiced since and could be limited for the Mean Green’s opener Sept. 2 at Texas.

More and more, it appears as if Zach Muzzy could help pick up the slack. The senior scored on a 76-yard punt return and a 37-yard pass at Fouts Field during the scripted workout that lasted 115 plays.

“I am just trying to play the best I can,” Muzzy said. “We are hoping Johnny can get back soon. He is a great player. All of the receivers know we are going to have to play well and make up for some catches Johnny might not be able to make while he is hurt.”

Quinn is expected to return to practice on Monday, when UNT’s coaches will begin determining what role he can fill at the beginning of the season. Quinn has led the Mean Green in receiving in each of the last three years and comes into the fall ranked among the top 10 players in school history in catches (eighth, 130), yards (sixth, 2,085) and receiving touchdowns (tied for fourth, 17).

“Zach had a good day, which is especially good because he is going to have to take care of punt return duties until Johnny is back full speed,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. “He could continue to do it if he continues to perform like he did today.”

While Muzzy appeared to answer the Mean Green’s questions about who could fill the void left by Quinn, UNT still has several other issues to sort out. None appears more critical than deciding how the Mean Green will handle their quarterback situation.

UNT went into fall practice with three candidates to start against the Longhorns, and that was still how it stood coming out of the scrimmage.

Junior Woody Wilson and sophomore Matt Phillips took all of the snaps with the Mean Green’s first- and second-team players. Returning starter Daniel Meager didn’t play due to the lingering effects of a concussion.

Dickey said Meager went back to a doctor to be thoroughly examined to determine if there is anything more can be done to help him overcome the injury that has resulted in headaches and nausea.

“Woody and Matt took all the reps today and did some good things,” Dickey said. “We are continuing to evaluate those guys. If we have a healthy Daniel Meager, he will be part of a three-man evaluation.”

Dickey said the Mean Green are still leaning toward redshirting promising freshman Nathan Tune.

Dickey said he has not determined when he would name a starter for the Texas game.

“We are just going to feed off of each other,” Wilson said. “I feel real good about the offense and how I fit in.”

Finding a rhythm in a game-like situation was one of Dickey’s goals for the scrimmage. He was happy with the way UNT performed.

“A scrimmage like today’s is necessary because we have to practice sideline organization and communication,” Dickey said. “We did a pretty good job of that, but our intensity level wasn’t what it needed to be. Guys were thinking about situations as opposed to them being second nature. … That’s not real surprising because it’s happened in the past.”

Despite a lack of intensity, UNT’s coaches and players believe they are on course to be ready for their season opener at Texas.

“We need a day or two off to heal some bumps and bruises and work on our game plan,” Dickey said. “We will start getting ready for Texas on Monday.”

Ryan’s Starks could end up at receiver

Former Ryan standout Cass Starks made an impression on Dickey while catching passes instead of defending them during the scrimmage.

The fifth-year senior has played defensive back throughout his career and appeared in four games last season, the first action of his career.

“Cass did some good things at receiver, which might show he could play at that position,” Dickey said. “He is figuring in on special teams but is behind some guys in the secondary. He worked hard over the summer. We are going to try go get him on the field somewhere.”

Briefly …

Redshirt freshman Evan Robertson posted a pair of touchdown runs and continued his strong showing in fall practice. Dickey said Robertson is working his way into the Mean Green’s plans for the upcoming season. … Dickey said he was pleased with the play of redshirt freshman linebacker Henry Eke on the scout team, which he said performed well as a unit.

Returning starter Daniel Meager didn’t play due to the lingering effects of a concussion.

Dickey said Meager went back to a doctor to be thoroughly examined to determine if there is anything more can be done to help him overcome the injury that has resulted in headaches and nausea.

Headaches and nausea for a week? sad.gif

I continue to be worried about this young man.

As hard as replacing Quinn's pass catching ability will be, I'm more worried about who is going to step into his role in the running game. I don't forsee too many long passes next weekend, as the QBs won't have the time. But we will definitely be running the ball a lot, and Quinn has a special role as a blocker. Who is big and strong enough to help in this area if Quinn can't go?

Headaches and nausea for a week?  sad.gif

I continue to be worried about this young man.

Silver,

Have you ever had a concussion?

If so, what grade. Sounds like Danny suffered at least a grade four councussion, which is pretty serious. My grade eight cuncussion put me in my wheelchair.

Concussions vary so much and affect people so differently that you just never know how they are going to recover from it. My quesiton is, why are our QB's allowed to be teed off on? Every time I see TCU and Texas' QB's on the sports news they are wearing different colored jersey's so as to not allow them to take hits. I've rarely seen our guys in different colored jersey's. Maybe they have this past week as I didn't see the scrimmage saturday, but not in the past. The shot that I saw Phillips take from Graves on a backside blind blitz two weeks ago was completely sensless? It was just as sensless as the one Hall took from Kennedy, again from a backside rush, in '03. Completely sensless and proves nothing. I understand the need for true game situations and building toughness and all. But if your the starting LB or DT and you get a free, straight line running shot at the projected starter at QB from his blind side a week or two from the start of the season, why in hell do you try to punch a whole through the side of his helmet? Your already the starter at your position so why take the risk? Last year was enough to prove what happens when you supposedly lose your starting QB...to grades of course but he was the guy that would have started non the less. Why is this being allowed?

Shaking head.

Rick

My quesiton is, why are our QB's allowed to be teed off on? 

Super-cynical HSO: Call it process of elimination in the interest of selecting a QB.

I'd hate to think that's really true, but it's not much worse than trying to make them tough by letting them get clobbered.

Back to Quinn. Another great concern is that he's our holder for kicks. As bad as our longsnappers looked a week ago during punt drills, you want the best possible holder on the field. I hope to see JQ sit out the TU game and get another week of recovery before SMU.

Silver,

Have you ever had a concussion?

If so, what grade. Sounds like Danny suffered at least a grade four councussion, which is pretty serious. My grade eight cuncussion put me in my wheelchair.

I had my "bell rung" one time in football practice, but that's about it.

I don't know about the different grades of concussions, but I know enough to be very concerned about someone who has headaches and nausea for a week.

I've read somewhere (and correct me if I'm wrong.......as if I have to tell this board to do that!) that concussions have a cumulative effect. And that at some point, each successive concussion is easier to get.

Again, I'm no Doctor, but I'm very concerned about young Mr. Meager.