Another Patrick Cobbs Tuchdown!

MeanGreenBuzz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PC was the first mention in the "Ups" about last night's game as listed by Boston Globe sports writer Mike Reiss:

"Patrick Cobbs -- Rookie free agent is making a strong case for a roster spot after totaling 92 yards on 13 carries and two touchdowns, playing mostly in the fourth quarter."

PC wasn't mentioned by Belichek in the post-game press conference, but then none of the questioners asked directly about him, and Belichek tends to stick pretty much to what is asked.

One of the questions from Bill Belichick Conference Call Transcript - 8/27/2006 with the media.

Q: How does Patrick Cobbs look to you so far this preseason?

BB: He is a young player that has had some nice looking plays. He’s also had some other plays that he would need to improve on and be more consistent with. I think there are some positives there. There’s a lot of things that he needs to do better that can help us more. He’s made some impressive plays and made some nice runs and he hustles and he’s a tough kid. What you want to see from a young player is a guy who continues to get better. They make mistakes, but you correct them and then hopefully they do them better the next time. Patrick is trying hard and he’s been productive at times running the ball. That’s where he’s had most of his production.

It looks like the media up there is taking notice. There were very few questions about specific players and rookies at that. He is definately making a big impression.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

If Patrick isn't careful, he might just make this team.

I was watching the Cowboys game Saturday. The discussion was along the lines of rookies and how they can be impressive in preseason. The bad news is they still may get cut. The good news is that if the player is impressive enough, he may get picked up by another team.

So even in the chance that PC gets cut or sent to the practice squad, he may still get picked up by another team. Sweet!

Patrick is all over the place.

Patriots Extend Unique Olive Branch

All this aside, the Patriot offense is stealing the show this preseason. The Patrick Cobbs story is a nice sidebar (92 yards on 13 carries and two long gainers), though his role with the club beyond August remains unclear. Brown is enjoying somewhat of a rejuvenation borne out of necessity, as he grabbed four passes for 64 yards. The combination of Corey Dillon and rookie Laurence Maroney is a developing story, and it is becoming more and more interesting with each game.

And on the Sporting News.

Belichick takes big win in stride

One of the surprises of camp has been Cobbs, a rookie free agent from North Texas who scored the last two touchdowns and led the Patriots with 92 yards on 13 carries, most of them against backups.

"He's made some impressive plays and made some nice runs and he hustles and he's a tough kid," Belichick said. "Patrick's trying hard and he's been productive at times running the ball."

He almost certainly will survive the roster cutdown to 75 players by the deadline of 4 p.m. Tuesday. The final cut to 53 players must be made by Sept. 2, two days after the Giants game.

One of the questions from Bill Belichick Conference Call Transcript - 8/27/2006 with the media.

Q: How does Patrick Cobbs look to you so far this preseason?

BB: He is a young player that has had some nice looking plays. He’s also had some other plays that he would need to improve on and be more consistent with. I think there are some positives there. There’s a lot of things that he needs to do better that can help us more. He’s made some impressive plays and made some nice runs and he hustles and he’s a tough kid. What you want to see from a young player is a guy who continues to get better. They make mistakes, but you correct them and then hopefully they do them better the next time. Patrick is trying hard and he’s been productive at times running the ball. That’s where he’s had most of his production.

From his comments, Belichick doesn't seem sold on Cobbs yet. I agree with those that hope PC gets picked up and makes a different team. No Patriots love here! tongue.gif

From his comments, Belichick doesn't seem sold on Cobbs yet.  I agree with those that hope PC gets picked up and makes a different team.  No Patriots love here!    tongue.gif

Belichick's comments seemed in line with what you would expect from a coach. No matter how good a player plays you will never see them gush over a player especially an undrafted rookie free agent that he may want to hide on the practice squad until needed.

I agree with StanR -- for a coach like Belichek, the comments are almost long-winded. And I want to thank everyone for searching out more info on PC than what I had sent yesterday -- my info (about nothing in the press conference, etc.) was just from the Boston Globe, so it was limited. Think about it -- PC, an undrafted rookie going against 3 surefire roster players -- is making a helluva impression, and seems to be not only noticed but liked by fans.

A side note on another player: today's Albany paper (again, consider the source) reports that the Giants have made roster moves but won't announce them until tomorrow, when they have to -- but it also said that among the players not on the field for Sunday's practice were two defensive ends (players other than AA, who had a 12-yard sack of Clements and another tackle in the Jets game).

A side note on another player: today's Albany paper (again, consider the source) reports that the Giants have made roster moves but won't announce them until tomorrow, when they have to -- but it also said that among the players not on the field for Sunday's practice were two defensive ends (players other than AA, who had a 12-yard sack of Clements and another tackle in the Jets game).

That sounds good for AA I was a little worried after they picked up a few DEs in the offseason.

I was listening to todays 10:45 am press conference with Belichick and about 5 mins in one of the reporters asks about Cobbs and if he has been playing special teams (the questions leading up to this were about special teams and another rookie playing on ST). Belicick said that Cobbs had been playing everything on special teams and that it was good to see the matchups in preseason where though he is undersized he can utilize his speed versus guys like Evans and Mills who use power. Its definately good to hear that Cobbs has been getting reps everywhere in ST I feel if he is going to make the team thats what will get him the foothold in the NFL and his running ability with get him the breakout once he gets on a team.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

I saw it mentioned a few times after his 3 rec 80 yd 1 TD preseason game, more or less introducing the more casual instead of hardcore college FB fan to Cobbs. I would say it is suprising its not mentioned more, but they seem to be focusing on what he is accomplishing now which I would say is a good thing rather than touting what he did in the past.

More Cobbs news from the Pats website.

I have been really impressed with the depth at running back. I really like the work that Cobbs has done for us in practice and in the games. Does he have a chance to make the roster?

Dean Godin

A couple of weeks ago, I would have had Cobbs on the practice squad for sure but after an impressive preseason, the youngster out of North Texas is now battling for a roster spot. Cobbs played primarily in an option offense for most of his college career and that hurt his draft stock, despite him leading Division I in rushing yards a couple of years ago. He’s shown good speed and quickness and while it’s been against second and third string defenders, he showed those same qualities in practice too. When he was playing the scout team for the Falcons offense, wearing No. 28, he actually looked like Warrick Dunn. I believe what to do with Cobbs is going to be one of the toughest decisions the Patriots coaching staff has to make. Right now if I had to guess, I would still say practice squad but it won’t surprise me in the least if Cobbs makes this team. Like I said, this is probably the toughest call of any player on the roster. If you asked me the same question an hour from now, I would probably give you a different answer. Luckily, I don’t have to make these tough decisions.

-Tom Casale

I think Patrick Cobbs is a much better RB than Kevin Faulk. I think they should trade Faulk for a second or even a low first round draft pick. I know people are going to say well he’s one of the best third down backs in the NFL. I think he could be one of the top RB's in the NFL if he could hold on to the ball! ! I think Cobbs has great speed and power plus he can hold on to the ball. Letting Cobbs go would be a big mistake by the Pats. I want to know what you think.

Matt

I think you’re crazy, that’s what I think. By the way, it’s nice to know that you have concluded Cobbs can hang onto the ball and is “much better” than Faulk by his whopping 31 touches this preseason.

-Tom Casale

The first one is very insightful the second one I think is quite funny. Did one of you from the board write that one in?

And here is a link to another article that talks about Cobbs.

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/proj...jo.31e734c.html

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Hmm... I didn't know we used an option offense here at North Texas. What a blowhard. He's probably never watched a Sun Belt game, much less been to a UNT game. He thinks he knows everything because where PC went to a non-BCS program. Moron...

Hmm... I didn't know we used an option offense here at North Texas.  What a blowhard.  He's probably never watched a Sun Belt game, much less been to a UNT game.  He thinks he knows everything because where PC went to a non-BCS program.  Moron...

Geez, calm down. Not everything is an insult and not everyone is trying to insult us. He doesn't know what kind of offense UNT runs, big whoop.