"Why Am I A College Football Fan?"

LongJim

Written by an Ag, and worth reading.

"Why do I love football so much?

Here I am at work, but I'm having a hard time concentrating. My thoughts are dominated by the evening of September 1st, when my wife and I roll into College Station (one of the best college football venues in the world) to begin the weekend I have been waiting for, for 9 months. A lot has changed since the end of last season. I have changed careers, my wife is pregnant with little Aggie #1, and my awesome Grandma passed away. In fact, one of the only things that hasnt changed, is whatever it is inside me that makes me feel this way every August.

It never leaves me. Well, maybe it leaves me for just a little while in January when we dont do as well as I wished we would have. It breaks my heart when that happens. Why does it affect me so? Then, signing day begins the anticipated wait for September. By August, few of my family can stand to be around me, because all I talk about it college football. My poor wife thinks I'm crazy. She cant understand what it is, and sometimes I cant either.

God bless her for putting up with me.

I soak up pre-season articles and interviews like a sponge and dream about depth charts and conference titles. I can recite players' names, numbers, hobbies, and hometowns like I've known them my whole life. And then I cant remember the combination I created for the lock on the gate. Maybe we could be at 9 wins by the time we face Oklahoma, I tell myself. What makes me say this? The past certainly doesnt. But every year I return, with a renewed hope and spirit that this year will be the year we make a run.

So here's to the smell of the grass in your nostrils on that first Saturday, the feeling you get as you walk to your seat, the surge that well's up in your chest as the kicker charges towards the ball for the first kickoff, and here's to the others like me, the College Football fans."