DRC Monroe learns from 1st trip to Austin

OldTimer

Football: Monroe learns from first trip to Austin

Veteran can relate to freshmen's jitters

11:53 PM CDT on Thursday, August 24, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Brandon Monroe remembers feeling nervous the last time he spent an afternoon at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

The former Electra standout played at a tiny Class 2A high school before his whirlwind freshman year reached a milestone when he played in the Mean Green’s 2004 season opener against the Longhorns.

The experience is one three UNT freshman appear destined to enjoy this year after head coach Darrell Dickey split his squad into starters, backups and scout teams players for the first time on Thursday.

Offensive lineman Kelvin Drake and tight ends Bryant Seidle and Victor Gill all spent the morning working with the players who are expected to play against the Longhorns.

“The mental aspect of the game is the hardest part of playing as a freshman,” Monroe said. “You may have it physically, but if you don’t have it mentally, you don’t have anything. You have to be really sound in your decisions.”

The challenge is one Dickey believes a few of his freshmen are ready to handle.

“Everyone is fitting in where they are supposed to,” Dickey said. “We will redshirt the majority of our freshmen. We like what we have and like the fact that we will be able to redshirt them.”

All three of the Mean Green’s freshmen who are expected to contribute this season play positions where UNT has had problems or questions about depth. Dickey said Drake would compete with returning starter Chad Rose for playing time at center, while Seidle and Gill provide the Mean Green a run blocker and a receiving threat, respectively, at tight end.

“I am very excited,” Gill said. “I am working hard in practice and want to help any way I can.”

All three of UNT’s top newcomers will be thrown to the fire in front of what should be a crowd of more than 75,000. Gill played at Argyle, a Class 3A school just outside of Denton that was in Class 2A before realignment last season.

Making the jump from a small high school to the Division I level as a freshman is an experience Monroe enjoyed.

“I always watched Texas when I was younger,” Monroe said. “I was real nervous, but I wasn’t intimidated. They play football and go through two-a-days just like us. I did what I could. The new guys will be nervous like I was and will learn a lot about themselves.”

UNT’s coaches have been preparing the Mean Green’s freshmen for the chance to play in front of a large and hostile crowd in Austin.

“The coaches have been working with us on zoning everything out and concentrating on our responsibilities,” Gill said. “It will be a nice experience, but I am looking at what I need to do and accomplish.”

Tune appears headed for redshirt year

Nathan Tune appears to be headed for a redshirt season.

The former Celina quarterback walked on at UNT, earned a scholarship and put himself in the race for the starting job.

UNT’s veterans have since pulled ahead.

“We have really been pleased with Tune and feel like he can be a good quarterback sometime down the road,” Dickey said. “It wasn’t that we didn’t think he was good, we just didn’t have a lot to go on. … Right now it looks like we will redshirt him.”

Briefly …

Freshman defensive end Draylen Ross will work with UNT’s tight ends in practice in the next few days to see if he can contribute this season. … Defensive back Roy Loren missed practice on Thursday while waiting on paperwork to be filed that would clear him to return to practice. Dickey said Loren has fulfilled all NCAA eligibility requirements. … Sophomore quarterback Daniel Meager was sick and missed practice. … Dickey said he would continue to work with Meager, junior Woody Wilson and sophomore Matt Phillips at quarterback through Saturday’s scrimmage before determining who would receive the majority of the repetitions during practice in order to prepare for UNT’s season opener Sept. 2 at Texas. … Phillip Graves has been named to the watch list for the Butkus Award that goes to the nation’s top linebacker each season. The senior is out with a knee injury and could miss the first three games of the season.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is