WKU board - e-mail re: 1A discussion

MeanGreen61

Lookin' like WKU is really serious about movin' up to 1A and becoming the 9th Belt football member.

Off the WKU board.

Here is the email I got this morning!

Fellow Faculty and Staff:

As I indicated in our opening Convocation, we will discuss throughout our University family, the matter of division I-A football over the next several weeks. This has been a matter that has received considerable attention on our campus for the last few years. The time has come to engage our campus in a thoughtful, thorough, and objective dialogue. I will be collecting as much information as possible in order to make an informed recommendation to our Board of Regents.

In this regard, we will use the following schedule as a means to bring as much insight and discussion among key groups in our University family as possible.

August 15 Meet with football coaches.

August 16 Meet with football team.

August 17 Notify Patty Viverito, the Commissioner of the Gateway Conference, that discussions are under way.

August 18 Meet with Wright Waters, Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference, to seek insight and inform that discussions are under way.

August 18 Meet with Hilltoppper Athletic Foundation Board of Directors/W-Club Board.

August 29 Meet with University Athletics Committee.

September 13 Meet with WKU Touchdown Club.

September 13 Conduct faculty/staff forum.

September 19 Conduct forum for HAF members.

September 20 Conduct forum for students.

September 21 Conduct forum for WKU alumni.

September 21 Discuss with University Senate at the first Senate meeting in FY 06-07.

October 2 Board Committee meetings.

I look forward to discussing this matter with all interested parties over the next several weeks. Thank you.

Gary Ransdell

Edited by MeanGreen61

What happened to the MAC invite they were waiting on?  laugh.gif

Nine (9) is a better number for conference scheduling (4 home and 4 away games) but I'd rather have La Tech in the conference.  dry.gif

La Tech keeps saying they would rather drop football than come back to the Sun Belt. Ever people on their own bulletin board acknowledge the dollars from the WAC just don't work and they can't keep it up after the extra money from New Mexico, Idaho and Utah States admission fees dry up.

By the way, those three are not actually PAYING their admission fee. Rather, they are forgoing the money they would get from the WAC for 1 or 2 years. That means instead of dividing conference money by nine, it's getting divided by six.

When they start dividing by nine, La Tech will start to feel the pinch.

Besides, Western is better at Men's basketball!

I've done some fairly intense number crunching and La.Tech is between the proverbial rock and hard place.

While the annual expenses of travel vs the revenue may be tough to handle financially they cannot afford to leave either.

Announcing their departure under WAC rules means forfeiting all conference revenue for one year. If Tech cannot afford WAC membership when it is receiving conference revenue trying to do it for a year sans revenue would be nearly impossible.

I believe that what will happen next is that down the road probably around 2009 that any realignment will happen. Unless there is a dramatic change in the BCS structure it should be relatively quiet. If it is fairly quiet with no impact on the WAC, they will offer membership to one of the western I-AA's (Nevada's AD has mentioned UC-Davis and that was before they beat Stanford) who will move I-A and at that time Tech will be offered a one-time chance to depart the league without penalty.

I believe that what will happen next is that down the road probably around 2009 that any realignment will happen. Unless there is a dramatic change in the BCS structure it should be relatively quiet. If it is fairly quiet with no impact on the WAC, they will offer membership to one of the western I-AA's (Nevada's AD has mentioned UC-Davis and that was before they beat Stanford) who will move I-A and at that time Tech will be offered a one-time chance to depart the league without penalty.

Maybe Montana will be ready by then to move up.